1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 - shipping with Steamworks * plus Digital Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by V. Soma, May 6, 2010.

1. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Nice. So I plop down $70 for something that supposedly is mine, but at the same time if Steam gets a wild hair up it's "server" it can be taken away from me.. O Joy, where do I sign up Mr. Bill?

2. Sciguy001

Sciguy001 CiV Great Scientist (duh)

Yes, it is pretty much like that.

3. sonicboom12345

sonicboom12345 Chieftain

What a great lot of crybabies you are.

Moderator Action: You can make your point without the name calling. Please refrain from name calling in the future.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

You're probably the same lot that raised a ruckus when Google set its Gmail automatons to scan emails for specific keywords. Never mind Google's text ad system is far less garish than the banners and popups of old; those dastardly corporate execs are invading our privacy, right? :rolleyes:

I've used Steam since its inception and I've never once had a problem with it. In fact, I've become such an acolyte that I prefer to use it for all of my computer game purchases. What good are discs? They're breakable and they're losable. Often the software requires you to submit to ridiculous copy protection that precludes you from installing the game on more than one computer. For the life of me I'll never understand your obsession with physical media.

Steam is a perfectly viable platform, and the lot of you who are censuring it ought to quit your moaning and get with the times. It's especially laughable when you have to conjure up hypothetical circumstances which have rarely, if ever, posed issue to any individual who's used Steam. "What if Valve arbitrarily decides to axe my account for no reason and I lose access to all of my games?!" Please! You're like my senile old grandma who refuses to use a cell phone because "the radiations will get her."

Publishers stand to lose more now than ever before to piracy, and therefore digital download services like Steam are the future of computer gaming. If the makers of Civilization feel it would be more profitable to subscribe to them, then so be it. We ought to support them in their decision, not break out the picket signs and burn them in effigy.

4. myturn

myturn Chieftain

Oh boy…
    Wanna place bet?
    I say that in a matter of days, say ten days at most after releasing, Civ5 will be cracked and downloadable from some torrent or other site.

How do I know that?

Well, when I unpacked Civ 4 (oh, what a joy- me and my acolytes staged appropriate bonfire :dance: ) and installed it I took out dvd and started the game. After it said something like ‘insert cd’ I pressed cancel button. Then I started Firefox and typed –somesite-.com and searched for ‘civ 4 no dvd’ patch. Guess what, it was there. And on my computer is still that same version of Civ (I’ve patched it of course with new versions later but whole game sits well for 5 years now).
    I bought bloody game but you see, according to them- I’m a pirate now. Yarr!

Seriously, I’m not propagating piracy, I just say it’s so obvious and rather lame excuse in this time of 'digital history' for snooping around my gaming habits and whatnot (read all about it somewhere else).

And inform yourself before label me paranoid. I mean, you really don’t have to, but it would save you some time and maybe you could learn something while at it.
    Spoiler :
    Just one small example: One of moderators here (I think it’s Ori but I might be wrong), reported some online activity while in “offline mode” and then 2KGreg (like he just landed from another planet) said something like ‘really…? It shouldn’t…’ and asked him to check this for him again. My, my… Poor guy didn’t know. Well, no biggie. And after confirmation, well… I think nothing happened after that. Maybe I remember some vague explanation like ‘it could be this…’ or ‘I’ll check’, like much of other answers but I might be wrong. Hey, game is still in making, maybe they fixing it right now. (not blaming you 2KGreg for not knowing but you took those silver pieces :) )

You have your reasons to love Steam, I have mine not to install it on my computer. Hate is to demanding and it costs more than I’m willing to pay.

Wish you well with your choice, enjoy the game.

5. stopstopp

stopstopp Struggling Emperor

Don't forget that if steam doesn't like you for some reason they can just take away your license to play this game you "supposedly" own.

6. ZachScape

ZachScape King

I have a question on steam. Does it come with an install disc or is that the initial purpose for steam, to need no disc?

7. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

@ Sonic: Wow, insult and gender bash much? If i was your senile old granny, I'd definitely be giving you a lesson in manners and appropriate social interaction. Sadly, judging from your post, such courtesies are banal and foriegn to you.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion, and I'm glad that your endeavors with Steam are ideal for you, however insultingly you put them forth. But it still boils down to choice and what the customer expects from a potential purchase of a product, something you seem to have failed to grasp entirely. Perhaps in the future, you might actually take the time and consider that other people have the same right to choice as you do - preferably without the useless vitriol.

8. Sciguy001

Drakarska, you "pirated" my avatar :rolleyes:

9. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Lol, sorry, was the only geezer avatar that i liked.

10. Sciguy001

I thought it matched my username:)

11. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Warlord

Yes if you purchase from steam you wont get a disc. You will however get a download of the game,a cd key and a pdf manual.
    Its well worth the 50 bucks wouldnt you say?

12. stopstopp

No because you don't actually own the game, just a license to play it that can be pulled at anytime.

13. Rebel44

Rebel44 Warlord

You dont "own" pretty much any game made in last 10 years....

14. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

I own many games. Short of the publisher/developer coming to my house to enforce it, there is no way they can stop me playing the game they sold to me. With Steam things are different. It would be quite easy for Valve to prevent me playing a game on Steam. I understand there would have to be good reason to prevent me but it's certainly a lot easier.

I really do look at the games I have and consider myself to be the owner of them. It's really not that weird. I don't own the IP of them and so I can't legally copy them and sell them or even pass them on freely, but I own the ability to be able to play the game whenever I want - the bit that matters. Even if I was convicted of murder tomorrow, when I got out of jail I would still be able to play the game. Break one of Steam's rules though, and you might not be able to play the game.

15. Aquilifer

Aquilifer Chieftain

Perhaps in the future you might craft a rebuttal that doesn't read like a strongly worded letter from the 1700s.

In the meantime, after having skimmed 48 pages of people telling me that Gabe Newell will personally come over to my house, demand my social security number and take away my desktop PC, I remain unconvinced. Steam's been around for quite some time now and has anything really happened to justify the rampant paranoia I've seen on these forums?

What it boils down to is that Steam is now a well-established method of publishing video games, it's trusted by millions of people the world over, spans multiple platforms, and now Civ5 is being released through it. If you'd prefer to remain suspicious about it after all this time, then fine, you don't have to play Civ 5. We'll let you know how much fun it is.

16. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Do you have any data indicating Steam is trusted by millions of people? Using the number of steam accounts as evidence is not convincing because many people use steam who would have some distrust of it. It's just that distrust is not severe enough to make them completely object to having an account with them. For example they might use a false name and alternate email address, many probably also distrust Valve with their credit card number and choose to use paypal.
    Also, do you have any data suggesting how many people don't trust steam? That could be important. Any marketing that Valve puts out in favour of Steam will obviously suggest Steam is universally liked. If you wander into the Steam Users forums you will find many people with Steam complaining about some thing or other about it. A lot of those people are probably only putting up with Steam because they have to if they want to play whatever game it is they're playing.

17. ZachScape

ZachScape King

I wish they would just release a collectors edition for +$20 and include a different civilization besides Babylon, such as Spain or Carthage.

18. stopstopp

Then your not buying the right games.

Why would you wish them to make more DLC type things where you have to pay even more money just to get the entire game? Why would you wish that upon people?

19. Nick Danger

Nick Danger Steam should be optional

Perhaps in the future you might craft a rebuttal that isn't the fallacious argument 'Hyperbole'.

More Hyperbole.

It also boils down to steam/steamworks collecting unspecified personally identifiable information that they share with unspecified parties who have unspecified privacy policies, and that steamworks has to run in the background doing unspecified things (and specified things like an AV-like anti-cheat process) even when playing an offline single-player game of Civ5.

It also boils down to this being forced, not optional.

No responsible person is asking that steam not be an option for those who, like you, like steam. What is wanted is the choice 'to steam or not to steam'.

Why exactly is that a problem for you?

I'd bet dollars-to-donuts you have no idea what steam does, what information it collects, who it shares said info with, etc.

If you do then please to share it with us to show us how silly our "...rampant paranoia..." is. And add links to where you got your info.

That shouldn't be hard for you, assuming you aren't just proffering an opinion based upon ignorance (note -- ignorance != stupid, ignorance = uninformed). I've posted my sources for my concern several times in this thread. Let's see what you've got, else your opinion will just be written off as uninformed.

20. denyd

denyd Emperor

Great, I finally find this thread and it's dead...

I'm not sure if Elizabeth 2K still reads this thread, but if she does a couple of quick questions?

1. If a modder creates a new Civ (say Canada) with leaderhead, UU, traits, etc and will it get stepped on if Canada gets added to the games?

2. One of my favorite features of CIV 3 & 4 is the Game of the Month (GOTM). Will this be possible in Civ 5?

3. I am concerned about both privacy issues & potential issues if Steam is acquired by another firm. It seems as if the Valve T&C open up a lot of concerns about potential abuses.

Thanks for any information you can provide.