1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 - shipping with Steamworks * plus Digital Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by V. Soma, May 6, 2010.

1. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

No to Steam.

So I guess that's a NO to CIV 5 too.

Are you watching Sid? Bad move buddy. <shakeshead> :sad:

JosEPh

2. Sciguy001

Sciguy001 CiV Great Scientist (duh)

I think that Steam is going to be the coolest addition to the civilization series yet!

3. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Ok, your opinion. Based on what, just 'cause i'm curious.

4. fignuts

fignuts Chieftain

5. mamba

mamba Deity

Have you noticed that people on that list actually are in the game they are boycotting ? 19 out of the 36 in that list are playing it, 4 are offline, leaving 13 playing something else.

More than half of these guys are actually playing the game they pretend to be boycotting, now that is quite a successful boycott if you ask me ;) and that is not even taking into consideration that the group has 833 members, out of several 100k that play that game... much like we have 50 vocal anti-Steamers for Civ too :D

6. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

7. tfreyguy

tfreyguy Chieftain

8. ori

9. tfreyguy

tfreyguy Chieftain

it means you can play it off line anytime

10. ori

right, but that is not news - and not news in this thread either - its a feature of steam. By the way you still need steam to play the game, you just can use it offline ;)

11. Shotgunbadger

Shotgunbadger Chieftain

Well aside from the just insane people who were going 'no what if Steam is REALLY opening the door to malware!' and other tinfoil posting, most complaints were that they thought the game would be unusable if steam was having errors or down or whatever.

12. tfreyguy

tfreyguy Chieftain

Thanx for making my point. I was merely trying to tell people that you can still play civ offline. Since the major flame on thir tread is how steam will a) let nanobots into my hard drive and destroy it, b) if i unplug my ethernet cable both my arms will go numb and i will not be able to load civ, and c) steam will monopilize the computer game market and turn into omni corp (robocop). I think my post was more than news worth to those blinded by gossip.

13. plesniak

plesniak Warlord

Totally agree with the above...I will not be getting this one due to the poor decisions to include Steam on this one. Many better games available that don't overload u with BS you don't want or need.

14. Mathalamus

Mathalamus Emperor of Mathalia

i should note that Blizzard somehow managed to integrate a steam-like interface directly in starcraft two. perhaps you wanted something like that instead of a wholly separate program?

15. For Nall

For Nall Chieftain

Why do I get the feeling that most people complaining about steam have no idea what it is. Loading up steam is something I do already with Civ 4 and I dont see the problem.

16. MqsTout

MqsTout Warlord

We know exactly what it is and does:

It's an intrusive digital distribution system that restricts our consumer rights. It eliminates our resale rights (should we choose to want them). It forces us to be reliant and have ongoing relations with a third party in order to use our product. It forces us to maintain an Internet connection perpetually in order to use the product (heaven forbid hardships might have us consider canceling the service). It maliciously transforms software from a "buy and get" state to a "rent for a long time" mode.

17. Shotgunbadger

Shotgunbadger Chieftain

Those are some strong words for a computer game, are you gonna be like the guy who called it rape too?

It's not malicious at all, no one who has ever used it has called it that. How does it 'force us to be reliant on third party relations'? Do you honestly think one day Steam will go "AAAH NO MORE CIV GAMES" after a dispute with the company, and somehow delete YOUR game in the process?

As others said you don't need to maintain a connection actually, you use Steam once to authorize and that's it, you can even play offline just fine. I seriously have no idea how steam isn't 'buy and get' either.

It's like...almost...you're talking about something you don't understand and trying to be a fear monger?

Moderator Action: Warned for flaming
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

18. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

1) He never said anything about it being malicious
    2) Anything is possible in the computer industry, so the potential is there for loss of purchase
    3) Your inclusion of "rape" is rather offensive, perhaps "cried wolf" would be a more appropriate analagy?
    4) Maybe if you reread some of the relevant posts, it would assist you in understanding the "reliant on 3rd party" and "buy and get" aspects of if individuals concerned with the future of Civ.

19. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

On a side note, my 11yr old also reads these forums with me on a regulars basis. While I do attempt to proof read before he gets on to read, occasionally he manages to log on before I do. It's my understanding that this forum is not "adults only", hence my #3 addition to my previous post.

20. Shotgunbadger

Shotgunbadger Chieftain

1) he said it 'maliciously transforms software'.
    2) You can't argue a position by going 'well ya never know'. I could say 'why bother buying a house, you never know if a tornado can destroy it and looters can steal all your stuff', but unless I have actual proof of it being a possibility I'm just a doomcrier. There is zero reason to think anything like that can happen, ever.
    3) I was comparing him to another guy who went off the deep end calling it fascist and using that word.
    4) I've read the posts, they've given no reason to their thoughts other then generic 'big brother' fear. There's never been any proof to them other then 'well you never know!'