Civ5 - shipping with Steamworks * plus Digital Deluxe Edition

The more I see of this game the more I fear its the end of an era. This is starting to look more like Panzer General with Civ elements then Civ with Panzer General elements.

For all the steam whiners, really out to lunch on all your complaints, just dont have a clue... as for anyone who doesnt already have steam, you are missing out on one of the greatest things to happen to PC gaming in a long time. Do you know you can buy the entire Civ4 collection for $10 right now and CIv3 complete for $1.25... these sales happen all the time for a lot of games... I picked up KOTOR for $5, Max Payne for $2.50 plus the entire UT lineup for under $15... best thing you could have for picking up older games you missed.

The problem isnt really that CIV V can be bought on Steam. The problem is that it is Steam ONLY...

And if you actually own all the games you want to play, then Steam is still not the package for you.

Being necessary to playing the game does not remove the fact that the game could have functioned very easily without it. That is what makes Steam exclusivity unnecessary. Besides which, your argument is circular.

Yes, it "Could" have functioned very easily without steam, but now it has a whole host of benefits both for Firaxis and owners of Civ5, so it functions much better with steam than without it.

And if Steam was an optional extra for those people who like it, I'd say "go get it and more power to you". As it is, even you admit that Civ V would not need Steam to run, which is the very definition of 'unnecessary'.

my strict standards keep MY computer nice and clean and fast and junk free. it also saves MY bandwith. and it gives me greater control over MY games MY applications, etc. handing that right over to steam is suicide.

1)Define junk. Steam offers some things after all, it is not there just to force an anti-piracy check.
2)you have to tell me you computer specs because if you have a core i7 and still complain about Steam's memory usage, I'm gonna kill you :lol:
Seriously though, if you have memory (4 gb or more), why does it BOTHER you that Steam eats away 85 megabytes? (as a matter of fact Steam currently eats minimized 13 PRECIOUS MEGABYTES OF MY EXPENSIVE MEMORY!!!) I mean that memory would be doing NOTHING otherwise..

And YES CiV wouldn't need Steam to run. But it would again need a DRM check -> Unnecessary overhead. Who cares if it isn't too large. Same with Steam

1)Define junk. Steam offers some things after all, it is not there just to force an anti-piracy check.
2)you have to tell me you computer specs because if you have a core i7 and still complain about Steam's memory usage, I'm gonna kill you :lol:
Seriously though, if you have memory (4 gb or more), why does it BOTHER you that Steam eats away 85 megabytes? (as a matter of fact Steam currently eats minimized 13 PRECIOUS MEGABYTES OF MY EXPENSIVE MEMORY!!!) I mean that memory would be doing NOTHING otherwise..

And YES CiV wouldn't need Steam to run. But it would again need a DRM check -> Unnecessary overhead. Who cares if it isn't too large. Same with Steam

1. junk is defined as anything i really dont need. like steam.
2. oh a quadcore @2.4 GHZs and 3 gigabytes of memory. 85 megabytes is still too large. and it would be doing somethign like.. ohh.. more memory for civilization 4.

i woudl perfer civilization 5 have its own DRM then using steams intrusive one.

This thread is pretty hilarious - especially the complaints about how 'bloated' Steam is and how it bogs down computers. If you have a computer that can't handle Steam, you weren't going to be running Civ V anyway.

Although this has been said many times in the thread and will be repeated forever after; I must say it.

Why oh why Firaxis/2k did you have to have the BS that is DLC????? Getting the game through steam is fine, mainly because I don't have to have the disk in to run the game. But DLC? REally? 10 extra bucks for a single new civ and a few 'bonus feature'? If you wanted to simply earn more money, simply sell the game at $60, rather than including the DLC. I mean you already made the Babylonian civ, did you have to go and charge us for it?
As for the pre-order thing: I never pre-order games so as such I hate exlcusive pre-order content. As long as it doesn't conflict with mods like in Empire Total War, I don't care.
Steam itself doesn't really bother me. My one bad experiance with steam has been when I tried to load up an Empire Total War mod, not realizing I had forgot to turn auto-update off causing the game to crash. On my comp steam is currently using 5000k of my memory compared to my file indexer which is currently running at 10000k.

I realize what Firaxis/2k is doing with the deluxe version is not technicaly DLC as it is the entire purchase of the game not just additional content but I couldn't think of any other terms to use.

So very disappointed. I've been buying Civ games for 20 years. Been looking forward to Civ 5 since it was announced.

But let me make this very clear: If I am *forced* to install and use Steam, even if I buy the retail version, I will NOT be buying Civ 5. A shame since the reason I got my first PC was to play Civ 1.

Firaxis, you should know better. If you want to offer Steam for those that want to use it, great. But to force me to use it is very bad and you lose a sale, and many other sales. Period.

So, has anyone considered the effect this news will have on mods?

Steam forces updates. Mods will break. A lot. Yes, there is offline mode, but be realistic. Of those that use it, how many of you are able to stay away from getting online with Steam at least once in a while? When you do go online, Steam will note that an update is needed and will not allow offline mode until the update is done. Many users have run into this issue.

With the lockout of Babylonia to Deluxe buyers only, I assume that some aspects of Civ V will not be open to modding. Obviously, everyone will have the Babylonian files in their install, (they must for multiplayer to work) they just won't be allowed to access them. I wonder what else we won't be allowed to fiddle with?

Steam cloud isn't just for restoring lost saves Zhahz, it allows you to log into another machine with the game installed and pick up where you left off with all settings and saves available.

But whatever, you're clearly not being open-minded about this so no point talking to you.

Personally I'm very happy Civ5 will be integrated with steam, but I'm kinda pissed about the Deluxe-exclusive Babylonians.

I don't mind people defending Steam. There might actually be people out there, genuine customers, that appreciate the service that they provide. But I have to say, that you appear to be associated professionally with Steam somehow. Reading your posts, it is hard not to think of you as a sales representative of their company. Are you? I mean no disrespect to you.

If people bother to look around in the web for news stories regarding online reviews and feedback, they will read it has become very common place for employees of companies to write "positive" feedback and reviews of their companies products and services, Amazon and such. I think Civfanatics fans should be aware of this. What's to stop them from coming here and post happy-feel-good-BUY BUY BUY comments about Steam? The answer is of course, not much can stop them.

However, there might be a way, I would like to suggest to the moderators to check IP adr. of those posting so fake looking posts about steam as Eejit has done. I am just saying they are fake looking. They may be real though. But look fake.

I would like share a consumer story from Denmark. DR, a danish television station, made show about a company in Denmark, that had received many complaints from customers. After the show was aired, the homepage of DR, allowed a bulletin discussion board for discussing the aired show. The moderators of the homepage, discovered that a suspiciously praising "customer's" IP originated from the company, which was for discussion.

I am just saying, that it could, and probably has, happen at Civfanatics. If they stepped out of the shadows and revealed their connection to the company, I would have no problem.

As for Steam: I've tried Steam. Even bought some games through it. But I didn't like it. Found it useless for my needs and bogging down my machine.

I am sorry to say, that I will not buy Civ5 as it stands now. Steam will not be installed again on my machine.:(

Here is another question for Eejit; am I also not-open minded and bigoted? I've tried your steam and bought games through it. I know what it is.

What's next? Do I need to be online all the time, like Silent Hunter 5, Assassin's Creed 2 and Settlers 7? That would be an immediate no buy.

You most definitely do not have to be online all the time for Civ V - don't worry about that.

Also, if anyone has any specific questions about Steamworks and Civ, let me know, I'm happy to answer them.

This is terrible news. If buying a boxed copy of the game means that I get software which won't work until it calls home and "activates" ..... then I'm sorry. No.

I've bought every Civ game since Civilization 2 on the day of release. Every expansion pack as well. I love the series and very much want to give Firaxis money for it. But if they are going to go down this road, I'm getting stepping out of line.

To be very clear: I accept Steam only because they sometimes release good, older games for bargain basement prices. I've used it to buy old gems for dirt cheap, at a price point that makes the trade off of the games possibly not working in the future a fair trade to me. I don't care the slightest about the social crap or save game management. So when Civ 5 Complete is released on Steam for less than $10, years from now, I'll buy it.

If they release a version of the game at retail that limits its DRM to a DVD check, and that does not need to phone home for any reason, then I'll buy that in an instant.

:(

You most definitely do not have to be online all the time for Civ V - don't worry about that.

Also, if anyone has any specific questions about Steamworks and Civ, let me know, I'm happy to answer them.

What the true fans of civ here on CFC can do for a not Steam-forced version of Civ V?
Would a petition with a few thousand members be enough??

I am sorry to say, that I will not buy Civ5 as it stands now. Steam will not be installed again on my machine.:(

I agree.
I wish steam didn't have those priviliges!
:gripe:

What the true fans of civ here on CFC can do for a not Steam-forced version of Civ V?

Well, I am #2 on the list :D

'Steamworks' is broadly-used. Which specific Steamworks features and services are actually implemented for this game?

In addition to Steamworks, are any other features being provided by or through Valve or the Steam Client, or any other bit of middle-ware involving Valve or Steam?

(A comprehensive list of features/services provided by Valve or Valve 'stuff' is what I'm looking for. The list might prompt follow-up questions.)

Separately, Valve is planning a Mac client. Will this game be available through Steam on the Mac? Indirectly related to that question... is the game using OpenGL?

Steam is integral to the entire Civ V experience and is going to help bolster the community rather than detract from it. Both single player and multiplayer modes will benefit from it as well as getting updates and mods that work well with the game. I know that right now there isn't a ton of examples of how Steamworks is going to help you guys out, but honestly this decision was made with guys like you in mind. You are our core audience and the last thing we'd want to do is detract from your community experience.

In case I'm mistaken by what this all means:

Is there going to be a way to purchase Civilzation 5 that does not require the program to "activate" by checking in with servers somewhere? So that, for example, it could be installed onto and played on a computer that does not have any internet connection at all?

If so, I'm sold. I'll preorder that version once we're closer to release.

Top Bottom