Civ6 6otM 06 After Actions Report

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 06 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
Please attached your victory save to your post.
- How many cities did you settle or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did You get the first religion?
- How much warring did you do?
- Were City-States helpful?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy the game?
- Spread the word thru peace and love, or conversion by the sword?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

This is my first time posting GOTM and I guess I am the first one! I scored 606 and finished on turn 299. I was happy I got it under 300 turns but I am sure it could be done under 250. I have played a couple other GOTM for Civ6 and this one was as good as any. I used the first 100 turns to try and accumulate as many cities as possible. I think 2 or 3 more cities where I chopped for a theater district would have made things go quicker. I had 12 cities probably around turn 150 so I sat on them for quite awhile. Synthia beat me to the rainforest area just north of Mohenjo-Daro where I think a couple more cities would have helped greatly. When I play I usually don't go straight for a victory condition, I like a certain look or completeness to my civilizations that going straight for a victory doesn't provide but most of the time for culture, I finish around 350-375 on regular speed. I am not 100% sure how the trade route bonuses work. You have to have two trade routes to the civ then you get the bonus? Once you've done it you carry the bonus the whole time and don't need to keep the same trade routes? I wasn't sure I was doing this right.

12 total cities. Captured 3 and also captured 1 settler from Egypt in the early game.

No religion. Probably hurt me without tourism from relics but the cities from Egypt and that small war seemed more important. I honestly have no idea how to get relics unless I am Suzerain of Kandy in the early game or the City-state that allows you to get any Apostle upgrade you want. I upgrade to the "Relic if dies in theological combat" and kamikaze my apostles.

Just the early war with Egypt for the cities and one Settler.

Geneva was helpful because I didn't focus much on Science so the +15% was a great boost. The culture city-states I got the 6 envoys but didn't focus on it much. Once I got the 10% culture bonus policy for Suzerain I focused on city-states for that bonus but it was tough to keep it.

Usually, as Russia, I get a lot of great musicians and writers in the early game but that didn't seem to happen as much this time. But I also didn't develop my cities much until around turn 100 when things settled down from Barbarians and the Egypt war.

Yes.

Aside from the standard Civ6 early game strategy of "kill your neighbor" I didn't fight much at all. Maybe an early focus on science and commerce and being more aggressive in the early game with a late game culture spam would have been better. I had to generate 326 tourists to win which seemed a little high.

Attachments

• PETER 299 1856 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 153
  • Screenshot (1).jpg
    Screenshot (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 310
Cultural Victory in turn 361 - 1940 AD - Score 559

5 cities founded, 3 cities captured from Egypt

Technology : Astrology first for religion, the industrilaisation, radio, computers
Policies : Philosphical politics, then Exploration, then urbanisation and mass media

No, got the second

Not much : an early attck for egypt, which I crushed, then a fewx barbarians, at the end I decided to go to war with Sparta which was leading in cultural, in no avail. And scythe tried to invade me with no luck either. pretty peaceful all he way

Not really

Sparta had a big cultural advance. I rushed for all cutlrual I could and did steal a few artefacts from them to slow then until I could catch up. I also tried to launch war against them, with no luck

Yes

Except Egypt in early game, mainly peace and love and culture

Attachments

• PIERRE IER LE GRAND 361 1940 ap. J.-C..Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 139
Cultural victory in turn 176.

I don`t like the relic strategy in a gotm setting for it is too risky and i don`t like playing it anyway.
So this game was all about getting radio, the Eiffel Tower and Christo Redentor as soon as possible. St. Petersburg had a lot of wood and stone around so i decided that chopping would be a very fast way to get them. Sadly i had no luck with the GE, not getting the 480.
In the end i built an army of workers, placing seaside resorts in every possible spot. I also planted woods behind to increase appeal. Of course i had a bunch of artifacts as well.
I summed up the first 100 turns in the opening actions thread.

Archeology, steel, radio, computer

I did not even have a HS. :goodjob:

I conquered Egypt early on.

Geneva was great as always, helping a lot to get those key techs faster. Brussel helped chopping the Eiffel Tower and Christo Redentor. Mohenjo-Daro provided fresh water and Amsterdam was nice for some gold.

Nothing that i did not already mention in the opening actions thread.

Yes, the map was really fun.

After conquering Egypt i did not DOW anybody for the rest of the game. I built a small fleet in the midgame to destroy the culural leader AI, but there was no real runaway.

I also want to thank eveybody involved in creating the gotm`s, i really appreciate your work. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20170105014105_1.jpg
    20170105014105_1.jpg
    740.1 KB · Views: 362
  • PETER 176CV gotm6.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 178
Last edited:
CV T189.

Theocracy with Jesuit Education really helped out my terrible sci and production,
letting me skip building museums right into building archeologists.
Building encampment in my second city really came to bite me -- a campus there would have boosted me far far away.
I also underestimated tourism from great works and failed to estimate win date.
I never had time to build christo redentor, and killed greece 3 turns too late.
With the new IZ patch and cheap lavra, I should have beelined computer instead of taking radio detour.

Overall -- frigate conquest never fails to amuse.

23. my settler cost was at 140, so 19 from stolen settlers and conquest.

civic : feudalism, theocracy, archeologist, 8-slot gov
sci : apprenticship, printing, radio, computer

Yes.

I conquered Egypt early, then Spain and Greece later

I found kandy a bit late. It would've helped my faith economy a lot. Sad to have only 1 faith city state in my approach. Other than that no significant bonus.

got dow'd by germany, sumeria, and scythia simultaneously ~T130, but they ended up giving me 4 settlers combined.

Yes.. though 2 games in a row only 2 city states on continent :(
maybe I should embark a 1-action builder to scout.

Kept Egypt at 1 city, and dow'd whenever / wherever I saw a free settler.
Warmongering is actually quite effective.. it lets me do open-border treaties after peace.

gotm6_end.png

Attachments

• gotm6_t189_firesale_end.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Hi,

My first GOTM and my first ever attempt at a culture victory. I scored 567 on turn 378 which I have to be extremely pleased with, as I pretty much winged it. I did 10 mins research on the wonders and civics that were useful, which really helped. I hope that's not cheating.

civic : beelined for whatever would give me the tourism and other useful bonuses.
sci : beelined for anything that gave appropriate wonders, then switched to computers.

No.

I only fought off an early Egyptian attack - made peace and she stupidly gave me I think 2 of her cities - dumb AI :p
No other wars until around 2 turns from the end when out of the blue 2 civs attacked. I took one city of theirs and then it was all over :)

I only ever had Mohenjo-Daro from quite early on and then Vilnius later. Didn't explore so only met the others late on.

Only one; I was in the lead from fairly early on and then slipped down to 3rd or fourth, then suddenly and completely out of the blue my tourism score doubled, putting me into an unassailable lead.
Other than that, only the usual annoyingly constant, stupid denouncements for doing nothing and the, although worrying, ultimately too late DoW by 2 civs.

Yes, immensely! Being my first culture win I'm amazed at how simple it was and will be trying this all the way to deity, as is my normal route with VCs :)
I feel as though I learned much from this one.

Well normally I am a pillaging warmonger but on this occasion I kept them all at arm's length. I didn't take embassies, did zero trade, no spying, only converted my own cities....basically ignored all overtures; and it worked very well indeed :D

Looking forward to the next one!

Attachments

• GOTM 6 t378.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 159
Turn 314 with Score = 770

< < < CHECK THE GREAT WORKS PICS IN THE SPOILER! > > >

- How many cities did you settle/capture?
7/6

Irrigation. Didn't really go for Culture Disctricts early.

No. Founder Belief = "Relics have triple yield of culture/tourism".

1) 3 Slingers to eliminate Egypt right away. Kept their capital.
2) Dropped a Settlement on Greece, then spammed Cossacks via Theocracy (they were cheap & needed no horses).

No.

Yes. The appeal requirement of seaside resorts. Understanding theme-ing (archaeology and artistry).
Bonus: Was able to lock-up the game by having a 1) Apostle discover a 2) Privateer that's within a 3) City-Range strike. (City-strike was pending, but not possible to click/engage)

Did you enjoy the game?
Yes. First ever culture victory through Civ's II through VI. End game is slightly boring once you've realized you've won.

Spoiler :

Culture_Per_Turn.png
CultureVictory_Map.PNG
CultureVictory_Tourism.png
GreatWerks.png

[\Spoiler]

Attachments

• Gotm6_Score-770_Turn-314.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:
victory date 1961ad turn 382 and score 790

- How many cities did you settle or capture? Played mostly peaceful... build about 8, captured 6 from Scythian,as their culture was the benchmark to beat down. Probably only beat the German spaceship by a few turns. Captured 2 from Spain because they declared war on me.
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Anything giving culture or tourism bonus so my tech rate was lower than usual, but still only 2 techs from future tech at the end,
- Did You get the first religion? 5th of 5 - and I spread the Snake faith to Egypt and then to Scythia. Killing other apostles with Orator promo is the way to go!
- How much warring did you do? Greece, Germany, and Sumeria were allies. Scythia got warred 3 times by me, and Spain warred me one time. Germany also wared with me earky, but no fighting.
- Were City-States helpful? I did not bother being suzerein and just maxed as many bonuses as they'd give. Had at least 3 envoys in all at the end, most had more than 6.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Why are the AI so bad at upgrading their units? They like losing wars, I suppose.
- Did you enjoy the game? Yes, very much! a real nail-biter at the end.... needed 371 tourists and Germany had only 1 part left to build.
- Spread the word thru peace and love, or conversion by the sword? Mostly peace, but Scythian culture was slowing me down, so they had to go, I hot all teir great work and Broadway off them.

Attachments

• PETER 383 1962 AD win.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 150
Turn 347 victory, score 594

I settled 6 cities and captured one Egyptian city, and really only out of necessity. The Egyptians declared war on me very early, and their capital was right next to my border. I've always been a builder rather than a warmonger, and I have to admit that's one thing that I don't much like about Civ VI - it's very hard to play peacefully, and if you do get sucked into a war (even DOW'd), then if you dare try to defend yourself, the world will pretty much hate you for the rest of the game.

I wanted to beeline various culture- an tourism-producing techs and policies, but I kept being DOW'd. The funny thing was, I had a pretty decent military. But every time I was DOW'd, I'd have to shift focus to military policies and upgrades, and that kept stunting my growth in other areas.

Not the first, no, but I believe I got the second. Even with all the stone that was around the capital, I felt that it was too risky to go for Stonehenge on Emperor level, especially once I realized how boxed in I was on the original continent. I felt that it would be better to stake out the best city locations first, then try to get a religion. That seemed to work pretty well, and I ended up putting up Lavras everywhere as quickly as possible.

Well, I didn't do very much, but I had constant wars coming from other Civs. First, it was the Egyptians, then the Spanish (ironically, they later became a friend and ally for the rest of the game, but they were the only ones) who declared a joint war with Scythia, followed by multiple wars by Scythia, and concluding with a joint war from Scythia and France. None of them were very effective, but as I said, it kept me from being as focused as I would like to have been.

Yes, I was Suzerain of Mohenjo-Daro for most of the game, and Carthage for a good bit of it. Scythia plopped a coupe of cities just west of Carthage, so that helped a good bit when Scythia declared war, since it created a bit of a buffer zone. Unfortunately, Scythia declared war on Mohenjo-Daro later in the game, and I was afraid that if I let Mohenjo-Daro fall to Scythia, then I'd lose my best city-state ally and have Scythia right on my doorstep, so I had to declare war just the once to get Scythia to back off.

Other than those two city-states, I really tried to focus on the cultural ones, and then various other ones for whom I was able to easily complete quests.

Just how limited expansion was by the map, and having so few city-states and other opponents on the same continent.

Yes. Early on, Sparta jumped out to what seemed like an insurmountable culture/tourism lead, and it seemed like I might not ever catch them. I tried stealing some great works, which for me never works, and then really focused on wonders and theater squares.

As an aside, I had great difficulty trying to trade great works with Sparta when I was trying to improve theming bonuses. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but many, many times, the game wouldn't even allow me to select an item to trade (or to receive in trade), even if I was trying to make an even trade of items (save for the era).

I had what was possibly the most annoying wave of apostles from Scythia I've ever seen. I mean, I've seen and also heard of missionary spam before, but this was insane. It was apostle spam, and at one point, Scythia had twenty apostles in my tiny, seven-city civilization. I spent so much faith an inquisitors trying to stop them, and I could barely repel them.

Thanks for the fun game, Knowtalent!

Attachments

• 6OTM_0347.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 165
Turn 341 victory, score 828.

This is my 2nd ever submission for a GOTM, and the first one for Civ VI.
Also first Cultural victory in Civ VI

I had a slow start and only settled 4 cities, but had 17 on my second to last turn and 18 on my last turn, as I won the game when I eliminated Greece by conquest. More on this later.

- I put a main focus on civics and culture. After Drama and poetry I aimed to get Humanism as fast as possible and and opera and ballet after that, and also Natural History. I was lagging behind Greece in culture and civics until turn 225 or so, so was trying to play catch-up, but Greece had a good game. I did not put too much focus on science past a couple of Universities, and was catching up and then leading in science by the mid-game

I did not manage to get a Religion. Too busy getting my science up while fighting Egypt.

- A fair bit, as had went though two major campaigns. As explained Egypt settled two cities just next to my Cap, so obviously I built up my military early on and went to war with archers and swordsmen. I took the the two cities and her capital as retaliation, and frankly greed. She had built Petra and Chichen Itza, making Ra-Kedet a most attractive city to work for myself.
in the last third of the game I was way behind Greece in Tourism. Gorgo had a large amount of Great works and was going to win if left to her own devices. I settled a small island close to her territory in case I'd meed to place to heal, I built up a small but effective force of Bombard, field cannon and Cossack corps mostly as well as a couple of ships. I quickly took two of her biggest cities and all of her artworks and I would have been happy to peace out at that stage, but with Gorgo, this was not to happen. A kind of drawn out conflict ensued. Retrospectively I should have :
- understood the Tourism mechanism better from the get-go. I was 2nd behind Gorgo in tourism and eliminating her would give me Cultural victory.
- understood that it would be more efficient to focus on military than on Tourism to achieve Cultural victory in these conditions.
Instead I focus on Culture and Tourism which was a bit pointless.

Germany, Span, France, all DoW'ed me, certainly at Greece's behest or maybe just because my warmongering was too much for them. They did not do much to hinder me though, and on the contrary the peace deals were quite helpful for my finances.
I was surprisingly very friendly with Scythia and even allied with her for a long time, which avoided more bloodshed, and made diplomacy with Gilgamesh and a couple of other civs more complicated.

Yes, I was Suzerain of Mohenjo-Daro, Carthage, Toronto for most of the game, and Brussels in the 2nd half of the game. Nice bonus from Mohenjo-Daro, and nice production support from Brussels and Toronto.

- Surprises, like how Egypt forwarded settled me? There was no answer possible but War,

- It was very interesting to play on this type of map as I generally play on Pangeas, and to have to focus on a Cultural victory. I'm not used to this play-style and did not know the mechanics so well, so I've learned a lot.

- No word to spread on my side, just keeping an eye on the zealots making sure I was not being threatened by a religious victory. Spain's conquistador and other religious unit were always getting in my way I was seriously to run them by the sword at some point. I used my faith to patron a great merchant at some point, and also bought a naturalist though i had nowhere to use him in the end.

A few screenshot ts after the spoiler:
Spoiler :

The starting area with my capital and the 2 Egyptian cities next to it. Also, have a look at the Ra-kedet city, and the great jungle and desert tiles around it. Well done Cleopatra, thanks!

Starting Area.jpg

The land formerly known as Greece ^^

Former Greece.jpg

Close-up on St Pete'.
Capital - few wonders.jpg

Thanks for setting up the game and doing an awesome job on these forums!

Attachments

• PETER 342 1921 AD-won.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Turn 258 Cultural Victory in 1735 AD with Score 609 (Nero).

61 Great Works, 70 slots for Great Works.

How many cities did you capture or settle?

15 cities total, 3 of them were settled cities taken from the enemy, and somewhere around 3-5 of the Russian-settled cities came from stolen settlers (all but one of these stolen settlers was unguarded).

What did you prioritize for research and policies?

I initially went for Bronze Working after getting Animal Husbandry, as I wanted to destroy Cleopatra who was near. My initial plan was to wipe out each AI and leave only one AI with a few cities left so my cultural victory would be really rapid. But the 40ish defense of many AI cities proved too difficult for my archers and chariots to take down, even with the aid of catapults, etc. So I focused thereafter on cultural techs, specifically Computers (beelined), followed by Radio (for Seaside Resorts) and Steel (for Eiffel Tower, so I can spam even more Seaside Resorts on the coastlines of the home continent). I went for Computers due to the doubling of tourism, but I'm unsure if that was the wisest choice, as I went for Computers without a boost to it (I did have a boost for Radio from a Great Scientist however).

For policies, I went for Political Philosophy like every Civ VI player likely does (except for Greece, who can beeline the +2 Great Prophet point policy). Then Humanism for the Art/Archaeology museums, Natural History for the archaeologists, Opera and Theater detour for Bolshoi Ballet, Mass Media, Conservation. Space Race's triple music tourism policy seemed useful so I grabbed that as victory was near.

Did You get the first religion?

No, but as Russia gets a unique holy district I figured I'd go for a religion. It is also to be noted that having a Holy City means you get 8 tourism fairly early on in the game. My religion was 3rd or 4th out of the 5 religions I think, and I chose the Cathedral building for the Religious Art slots. This was helpful as tons of otherwise useless Great Artists generating Religious Art actually had a place to slot their work.

How much warring did you do?

Quite a bit initially, with Cleopatra's capital falling, but she settled a new one right before that near the jungle of Mohenjo Daro. I let her live thereafter, though I was careful to settle ALL the land near me so she couldn't take away coastal space that otherwise could be used for Seaside Resorts. I did steal a settler from Tomyris after she unwisely sent an unguarded settler near the Natural Wonder (Torre something) which I had settled near. I then stayed peaceful, warring only when Phillip, Gorgo, Frederick and Cleopatra later declared war on me.

Were City-States helpful?

Mohenjo Daro was a great early ally to not have to worry about housing with (and my city in the southeast, whose name I forget, had no access to water, but with Mohenjo Daro counted as if next to a river, which was great). I allied with Carthage early on to speed production of archers to kill Cleopatra with, but then never spent delegates on them again. I found the other city-states too late, though I did put many delegates into Geneva to try and speed my science path to Radio and Steel, and also Brussels to try and construct the Eiffel Tower faster (it didn't really help as I didn't have enough delegates to become suzerain of Brussels). Kandy was useless. Found it way too late, and they don't give you relics for natural wonders you already discovered, to my knowledge.

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

Gorgo of Greece was a HUGE cultural obstacle to my win, and when she got around 200 domestic tourists I seriously considered wiping her out with ranged and melee naval units. I had scouted her out and she appeared to only have 3 cities. But the time it took for one of my coastal cities to create even ONE privateer (something like 40 turns) made me reconsider (though I did create the privateer later on anyway, and I upgraded it to a submarine for the attached save game to war with Egypt). I did convert 2 of her 3 cities to my religion to try and lose out the negative modifier to tourism for not being of the same religion. But this later proved useless because France became the cultural rival to Russia.

An interesting surprise occurred when Gilgamesh and Phillip II declared war on me after I settled cities near the Natural Wonder. They all said I was a warmonger and blahblah. I took one city from Phillip (Toledo) which later proved a fruitful area for Seaside Resorts. Gilgamesh never sent a single unit, and I made regular peace with him. All this warring made Gorgo like me, and I got open borders and a delegation with her for the tourism boosts, She also was helpful as a source to sell my extra luxuries to (and trade luxuries with). I thought all was set.

But later on, I was shocked to see Catherine de Medici overtook Gorgo as the huge domestic tourists master, which was a big surprise. I think in the end I had to overcome 237 domestic French tourists, which was alarming.

At this time Gorgo decided she didn't like me (she said I was going bankrupt, and that I wasn't fighting (which was true)). Gorgo then DOWed me and sent not even one unit. Weirdly her apostles were hanging around nearby regardless, so I killed them.

Another interesting surprise occurred when the beaten (and puny) Cleopatra befriended Frederick, and both declared war on me despite having fewer units and less advanced units at that. Frederick made peace with me, but Cleopatra did not (in the attached save I was in the process of crushing her--I note that the submarine alone can take down almost half her city's defenses, which is ridiculously imbalanced).

Did you enjoy the game?

I did. I was initially worried I would hate this game, since I had little idea how to do a Cultural Game, but a useful Civ VI Cultural Victory guide (linked by a helpful contributor in the Game of the Month 6 Announcement thread) really helped me understand what to aim for, and made the game more exciting. I still had frustrating moments where I realized I had not settled a sleeping Great Musician's work in a Broadcast Center for several turns, losing out on a faster win. I also had frustration when I realized the Great Engineer that unlocked the Computers boost would not come in time for me, so that Policy slot with +2 Great Engineer points was simply wasted. I should have stuck to Great Artists. Another source of frustration was not having any slots for the Great Music early on in the game, when the Lavra and Theater Square bonuses generated lots of Great Musicians for Russia. The Great Musicians sat uselessly for millenia.

After getting the Computers tech for double tourism, I was worried the game would be a dull "Press Next Turn 40 times" end-game affair (as it still is in Civ V), but the rush to settle the Seaside Resorts as fast as possible after the Eiffel Tower made me focus on calculating how quickly each city could create a worker and have it on the coast by the time the Eiffel Tower was finished, which made things *for a brief moment* almost as dynamic as the nail-biting Civ IV cultural victories (on Prince or higher difficulty anyway).

It is strange how the culture game in Civ VI is rather lacking in complexity though, even for Russia, whose lavra faith and Great Artist generation *should* mean they have a key cultural advantage. Russia played little differently for me, though I did have faith for Naturalists to create two National Parks (it didn't generate much tourism though). Wonders generate less tourism than Great Works and are generally not worth building (I bit the bullet and constructed the Bolshoi Ballet since I was annoyed at how little space there was for Great Music in this game), Great Artists sit uselessly due to the sheer lack of space for their work, tourism does nothing but help a Cultural Victory (it doesn't flip cities as in V, and culture doesn't flip cities as in IV). The key combo is Eiffel Tower to boost tile appeal so you can build Seaside Resorts in almost every coastal space you own, Cristo Redentor to double the Seaside Resorts' tourism, and Computers to double tourism thereafter. Some useful policies exist, but they don't seem as gamechanging as Seaside Resorts, at least on a coastal map.

Spread the word thru peace and love, or conversion by the sword?
I don't understand. This wasn't a religious game. ;)

But I'll play with it--I wanted to spread mighty Russia's borders and cultural dominance using the sword, but after almost wiping out Egypt and waging war on Scythia to take a settler that unwisely wandered near me unguarded, I ended up waging war only when people declared on me.

Attachments

• PETER 258 1735 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 172
GOTM6 – Victory Turn 268, Score 730
Achieved a Cultural Victory after turn 268. See my Turn 100 post
HERE.
How many cities did you settle or capture?
I settled 8 (a couple of those with captured settlers), and captured 8. The ‘core’ initial 7 (Nizhniy was a late add from a captured settler) generated most of my culture, although Ra-Kadet built a couple wonders.
Spoiler Map-Core :

G6_268Map.jpg

The northern marches were added after a couple wars. I declared on Egypt early, taking Ra-Kedet, and then again around turn 180, when I took Sais and Akhetaten. Spain and Sparta declared on me around 230, so I took the NE part of the continent:
Spoiler Map-North :
G6_268MapN.jpg

The early game I focused on some military techs, Apprentice for the industrial zones, and then Printing. After that, I pushed for Cartography to start meeting/trading w/other civs, then headed for Computers. After that, I started backfilling military techs because I was in a series of wars.
Culture focused initially on getting to a better government, I went Monarchy then Merchant Republic, then focused on the civics to get museums, archeology, and tourism boosts. By the end I was running thru so much culture, I had hit Social Media and Globalism a couple times each, and had everything but Communism and Fascism.

Did you get the first religion?

No, I think I had the third. Lavras helped, I mostly used it defensively, spreading to my own cities and buying a couple apostles (and eventually some Inquisitors) to fight off waves from Scythia and Spain. Scythia used missionaries, so they were easy, Spain used Apostles, and had several religious combat policies, so I would have to surround and whittle them down.

I didn’t plan on using a lot of warfare. I did go for an early attack on Egypt with archers, grabbing a settler and Ra-Kedet, but then hoped to be peaceful. I did eventually declare on her again (with a Causus Belli), but everyone kept denouncing me regardless. I had a couple joint declarations (Scythia/Germany and later Sparta/Spain) against me. I defeated several Scythian and German units at sea or right when they landed, but never a big threat, and I didn’t want to pursue it. With Spain, I took their cities on my continent, and settled for peace. I was going to settle w/Sparta too, but they were the next highest Tourism nation, and I saw multiple wonders around Knossos, so I figured if I took that city, it would slow their growth and make my moving target a little easier to hit. It was odd, they were around 190 when they declared, and grew slowly, about a point a turn, then the turn I made peace their tourism number jumped from 207 to 245 (like all those tourists had built up and now they could travel?). However, after that the number didn’t change, holding Knossos seemed to take all their tourism away, and mine was growing by 6-7 per turn.
Spoiler Knossos :
G6_Knossos.jpg

Yes, but I had trouble keeping Suzerain status over most. I had Mohento locked in early, and got up to 6 envoys with all the cultural CS, as well as the two production ones when I found them, as well as Geneva and Amsterdam. I also got at least 3 with each military CS for the bonus on units.

I mentioned in the earlier thread, I didn’t realize I couldn’t build districts on flood plains, which limited Ra-Kedet. I was also surprised I ended up so advanced in Science, I didn’t prioritize campus (I only built two in my original cities), but several of the cities I captured had a campus. And I was surprised when I switched from Merchant Republic to Democracy, that I lost 2 trade routes! Had to park them for several turns while I built harbors.

Did you enjoy the game?
Yes, I did better than the previous culture game and had a better idea of what I wanted to do. I had some fun ‘conversations’ with the AI, how they determine their ‘agenda’ speeches makes no sense to me. I had Gorgo tell me it was great to have an income, and I was going bankrupt, about two turns apart. Also had both Cleo and Gorgo insult me for my weak military within a couple turns of taking their respective capitals. :crazyeye:

Spread the word thru peace and love, or conversion by the sword?
I planned to do it mostly peacefully, but when they declare on me, they should expect a price! :nono:

Attachments

• PETER 269 1790 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 179
Turn 275. It wasn't pretty - lots of mistakes made (like missing religion) - but a win's a win.

Captured 4, settled 9.

I wanted archaeological museums and beach resorts and pretty much got them. I also put in the Eiffel Tower and Cristo Redentor towards the end

No religion.

DOW'd Egypt and took two cities then took a break before eliminating her and taking a Spanish city.

Indirectly through the benefits.

I didn't look at the map type so when I set off exploring I was surprised to see that I had the biggest landmass (and basically covered it in the end.

Yes.

N/A.

Attachments

• PETER 276 1810 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 187
Cultural victory on turn 344.
A very late win. Still, I guess I should be glad that I won since this was my first Emperor game in Civ6 and I'm still learning the best strategies for a cultural win. Made many mistakes, mostly due to overestimating the Emperor AI.

20 overall. Settled 5 + 1 late game with a stolen settler. Captured 14.

I read about the difficulty spike on Emperor difficulty (AI starting with an extra settler) so I played way too cautiously in the beginning not really prioritizing anything and trying to get as many eurekas as possible. Which leads me to my first negative consequence of this strategy.

I didn't get a religion at all.

Like some other people here, I too conquered Egypt, then Spain and Greece. Gorgo was way ahead of everyone culturally and she had to be eliminated. She had a bigger army, but, fortunately for me, the tactical AI is dumb as a rock. She sent her unescorted armies towards my "Spanish" island and I slowly took them out with a single submarine. I've seen many instances where the AI doesn't move a unit while I bombard it turn after turn. I hope Firaxis does something about this soon.

Mohenjo-Daro and Carthage were my allies pretty much throughout the game. Carthage helped me by blocking Tomyris' path towards me (She DOW'd me three times, always a joint war). It was fun watching Carthage mow down Sakas for dozens of turns.

I didn't think I would do so much warring so I neglected exploration. I didn't discover France until around turn 200.
Also, when I attacked Phillip's island I was surprised not to see a single Spanish unit, just 2 barbarian Conquistadors. I guess he had problems with amenities which caused a rebellion, something I've never seen in my few Civ6 runs.

Sure did. I think I enjoy these shuffle maps more than continents. I like the randomness.

Attachments

• PontifexMax_6otm_6.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 155
  • PontifeMax_T344_CultWin.jpg
    PontifeMax_T344_CultWin.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 172
Hello everyone. My first submission, cultural win on turn 336, score 482.

Settled 7. Should settle few more, or even beter wipe out Egypt and took their cities.

Research towards computers, policies went fast due to high culture.

I got it, but I was not first, I think I was third.

One DOW from Cleo, one from Spanish guy.

Yes, Geneva was most helpful for me.

Not surprises, but serious obstacle to win earlier. Gorgo had most domestic turists, but was to far away from me to be able to have trade route, so I have only "open borders" turism boost.

Yes.

Peace :)

Attachments

• PETER 338 1917 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 157
Cultural victory in turn 246, year 1675, played peacefully (also, first time poster!)

My religious approach was hampered by geography. No mountains and limited tundra meant faith generation was 1/3rd of where it should have been. I ended up taking Jesuit education, although had I known which leaders were in game (and the geographical constraints on their expansion), I might have gone for reliquaries. Both were options when I founded, and I ended up making a call that seemed less risky at the time. I missed wats as an additional belief, though, which hurt science…

Wonders: Mont St. Michel, Colosseum, Cristo, Forbidden Palace, Bolshoi, Hermitage, Great Library

I converted half the world for the tourism bonus and allied with Spain as a deterrent. It didn’t end up preventing a joint DOW from Scythia & Eygpt, which was another drain on faith. I rounded up the win with resorts and natural park.

I think that on a different map, this strategy which leverages Russia’s unique abilities should be much more competitive against the science/Eiffel/archaeology strat that some folks used so effectively (176! Well done). I was also quite sloppy in choosing artists (missed theming bonuses), and probably overdid it on the wonders. I could have been more aggressive in converting more civs as well, but was feeling lazy at the end.

10 settled by around 120
0 captured

Science: Printing > Radio > Computer
Civics: Drama/poetry > Political Phil > Feudalism > Theocracy > Humanism > Opera > Conservation (I think)

- Did you get the first religion?
Not the first, but early enough. Though wats would have been a nice science boost.

Captured the mandatory settler in the first few turns and promptly sued for peace. Played defensively for the remainder.

Geneva really helped with otherwise abysmal science. The extra culture from Mohenjo-Daro was nice as well for powering through civics. Got some production for wonders from Toronto.
The absence of any faith city state until too late really hurt though.

As mentioned earlier, no mountains, limited tundra, no religious city state. I coped by spamming fewer apostles and spamming cultural buildings more slowly.

Yes, it was a fun map. Lining up those resorts on all that pristine seaside was especially satisfying.

Peach and love, as far as possible.

I’ve been a lurker on the forums for a long time. This is the first time I’ve been involved in a GOTM. I think that civ 6, despite all its flaws, is heavily underrated, and you guys have made it even more fun with this monthly challenge.

Attachments

• PETER 246CV_GOTM6_Civ6.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 137
  • 20170110194716_1.jpg
    20170110194716_1.jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 20170110194716_1.jpg
    20170110194716_1.jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 178
  • PETER 246CV_GOTM6_Civ6.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 148
Cultural Victory in turn 199 - 1380 AD - Score 1513

Settled - 10 cities, from those 10 cities 5 were settled early game

Captured many don't know exact number - conquered Egypt, Germany, Spain, Scythia, had to go after Greece because they almost got religion victory

mainly military and economy because there was early war with Egypt barely survived

no i got last one i think

A lot, i wanted to go all culture and my first production even was monument tho i dont do that usually, but Egypt changed that approach

not really know because i didn't bothered with them

Greece with their religion had to act fast because they almost got religion victory and they had apostates and Missionaries all over my territory, didnt had any problem in other games regarding religious victory from Greece usually Spain is troublesome with religion that's why i took out Spain.

i enjoyed early game because surprise attack from Egypt and late game because of Greece religion problem

always SWORD

Attachments

• 20170111054226_1.jpg
    20170111054226_1.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 1,162
  • PETER 199 1380 AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 180
Cultural Victory in turn 315 on 1/10 starting game on 1/7. Score of 788. Tourism was 289/281.

This is my first GOTM for Civ6, and first Cultural victory. I got the game a couple weeks ago but played Civ5 a lot.

Overall, I like the idea of art and culture collection to win a victory. Changes the dynamic of the game and like the gallery view. I thought, like in other Civ 6 games, the AI military just gives up after the initial battles and makes wars kind of easy and boring.

I played pretty passively at first concentrating on religion and culture and gaining the trading bonus with Egypt. Once they conquered Mohenjo-Daro I went after them and took their capital and one other city and liberated the city state to keep favor with other civs. That didn't work with Scythia. They attacked and I took two of their cities. I was pretty aggressive from then on out when I had to completely conquer Greece because they built the Cristo Redentor.

I found generating a lot of faith, the Lavra bonus, Social Media, the Eiffel Tower mixed with many Seaside Resorts as helpful. I never played a strong cultural game so it took me a while to cement a strategy and I was probably too bellicose throughout the game. Eliminating Civs also gets rid of the tourists they send you, etc.

14 cities. 5 settled, 9 captured.

Not sure if it was the first, but got it pretty early on. The Lavra helps but I didn't try to spread the religion too much, mainly used faith to buy great people.

Not much at the beginning except Egypt's capital. Had to go after Greece and fight off Germany, France, Spain and Scythia a couple times. I feel the AI warring in Civ 6 is too easy. I recently beat level 8 with a domination win and it was too easy (probably on my 4th or 5th time playing Civ 6).

Carthage and Kabul helped fight off a large and aggressive Scythian army. Other suzerain benefits were mildly helpful.

Was learning a lot about culture and tourism as the game went on since the concept in Civ 6 was new to me. Greece had many domestic tourists and the Cristo Redentor so I felt completely conquering them was required.

Yes. Peter seems like a very well-balanced civ and can probably win under multiple victory conditions. Will try again with him at the harder levels.

Pretty peaceful and defensive at first. Took a strong capital from Egypt with the Petra that helped. Then fought limited and defensive wars until I needed to eliminate Greece.

Attachments

• PETER 315 1888 ADWinningTurn.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Culture Victory turn 304, Score 567

I feel like i didn't do enough warring and had to overcome over 266 tourists to win this one, saw the fast wins had to overcome less than 100 tourists. Also relics are helpful but didn't get more than 2 unfortunately.

How many cities did you settle or capture?
Settled 7 and captured 3 from Egypt.

Regarding culture i look for new government types (Political Philosophy, Exploration and Suffrage) and policies that help tourism (Natural History, Cultural Heritage, Space Race and Globalization)
And for science i look for research that unlocks key districts and buildings (Currency, Apprenticeship, Industrialization), or that unlocks key wonders (Steel for Eiffel Tower) and improvements (Radio for Sea Resorts). Computers also helps a ton.

Did You get the first religion?
I did get the first religion, Lavras are great because they are cheap and give a lot of great people points. I chose Cathedrals to have space for religious art, and that helped a lot i feel.

I only wiped out Egypt, but i feel like a better strategy would have been to kill more than one AI and have less foreign tourists to worry about.

Mohenjo-Daro was my vassal for the whole game, helped with my culture output, with warring against Scythia several times and with housing. Was a great help!

I built so little military that i got surprised several times by AIs swarming me with units (especially Scythia) so i had to stop what i was doing and start building some units and tech just a little for unit upgrades. Scythia was attacking me with Cavalry Armies and i was defending with Crossbowman. One cavalry Army one shot my level 3 Crossbowman.

Did you enjoy the game?

Yes, i liked the setting but i feel like my game-plan was clunky and resulted in a late win date unfortunately.

Attachments

• PETER 304 1866 AD.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 144
  • Screenshot 2017-01-12 11.32.48.png
    Screenshot 2017-01-12 11.32.48.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 206
CV t155.

I settled my cap on the southwest cattle (2 west 1 south, lost 1 turn) to get 3f on the city center and have southern tundra tiles in 2nd and 3rd ring.

cap BO: scout - worker - settler - 5 slingers - settlers

Game: took one settler from Egypt around t25, but that was the last one - I intentionally did not kill Egypt for a while, but no more settler came out. I tried to settle lots of cities early so that I can build first districts with low hammer costs. Got pyramid early (following tommynt's advice after gotm2) and Colosseum early - built no other wonders. Settled about 7-8 cities, and took 2 from Egypt, and conquered most of other civs' cities with frigates. Two groups of 1 caravel+3 frigates easily destroyed other civs. Conquest was too easy.

Weird thing: I still don't understand why Tommyris' tourism suddenly jumped to 73 tourism from 57. I attacked her and captured 7 cities, including 2 cities at t150. I thought it would eliminate her, but she built a crappy city at the northeast side of her continent - Egypt had a city right south of it, and I did not see that one. If I had her eliminated, culture victory denominator would have been 54 and I would have won at t151. Instead, I had to click the next turn 4 more times.

Details:

Religion: key factor of this game. Jesuit education is a must. Dance of aurora (+1 faith from neighboring tundra tiles) was also very helpful. I had 3 holy sites in tundra area (south part of the starting point) and adjacency bonus was +4, 7, 3 to start. I chose wat to boost science.

Districts: Lavra for most cities, and 2 campus to start. I built 2 theater districts early so that I could buy amphitheater with faith and use writer great works fast. I pre-assigned Colosseum and factory spot to cover first 6 cities. Had 3 industrial districts (and workshops) for eureka, and added more theater districts to use writer great works. I bought most, if not all, science and culture buildings with faith. Got 2 more campus from Egypt, and with Isaac Newton and +100% campus buildings card, science finally went up.

CS: meeting mohenjodaro and Carthage early helped - but not having 3 CS on the starting continent sucked. Nan ma dol was a game changer, as there were lots of coastal cities and seaside districts AIs built. Kandy was also helpful, but if there were more religious CS, it would have been much better.

Tech and Civics: had Computers and +100% tourism from great works and relics card around t145. Frigate tech around t105 - should have beelined this, instead of apprenticeship detour. After getting Nan ma dol's unique bonus, culture went up dramatically.

policy cards: +100% holy site adjacency bonus was great. Agoge, urban planning, meritocracy, +100% naval unit production, and 50% upgrade discounts were helpful as usual. In addition, +100% religious building faith, +4 towards different religion, and +100% sci building output were also very helpful.

Attachments

• gotm6_glory_t155.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
Top Bottom