1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ6 Crash - Exception-Access-Violation

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Technical Support' started by BlackChimaera, Jun 13, 2020.

1. BlackChimaera

BlackChimaera Chieftain

Hi folks. Hope you are all well.
    I've played the older Civ games since they came out - mainly Civ2, with a bit of Civ3 and Civ4.
    Recently got Civ6, and have been playing it a couple weeks.
    Just got the Aztec DLC mod, otherwise stock.

Just yesterday (friday 13th) - the game has started crashing - most of the time during start-up (ie once you get past the launcher, and during the video play, especially if I try to short cut it. Some time I get as far as resuming my game, and playing a turn or two before it crashes.

In every case, the error is:

- EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
    Unhandled Exception
    Code. EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
    Error reading address nnnnn (the actual address changes)

Call Stack
    -----------------------------------------------------
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0
    ??? ! ??? ???, line 0

Help!.. any ideas? it is rendering the game completely unplayable. I've tried removing and resinstalling from scratch (using the Epicgames launcher), as mentioned, for 3 weeks it worked "flawlessly"....

Really grateful for you help, and sorry my very first post is cry for technical support:-(

2. BlackChimaera

BlackChimaera Chieftain

Anyone? Grateful for help, as present, game is literally unplayable

3. The_Diesel4

The_Diesel4 Chieftain

Same thing has been happening to me. Started a couple weeks ago but I fixed the problem. Now I am getting this error. Sometimes it works without issue, like yesterday where I played for 2 hours no issue, and now today I am getting this report and I am crashing on launch. But good luck getting some help, no one responded to my post.

4. BlackChimaera

BlackChimaera Chieftain

:-( that's frustrating. Happens everytime - at the moment I can't even get past the initial intro cutscene on loading before it occurs... :-(

5. crazyjoe0813

crazyjoe0813 Warlord

I've been getting the same issue since the Summer update dropped yesterday. First there were weird graphic glitches of the textures being all black. So I tried updating my graphics driver to see if that fixed the issue. It worked for one game last night. I woke up this morning and tried to reload and then now I get a crash at game load. I ge tthe same Exception_ACCESS_VIOLATION. I have a Windows 10 machine with an AMD Radeon RX5700 graphics card

6. BlackChimaera

BlackChimaera Chieftain

you have my sympathy - its still completely unplayable for me :-(

7. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

So I think whats happening is that the game is under heavy load and the crash is preventing the game from doing any damage to the hardware. I had a similar issue back in December when my old 960 graphics card was on its way out. I replaced my card and I haven't had any issues since.

My first steps would be the following.

1. Clean install the graphic card drivers,
    2. verify the files,
    3. lower the settings and maybe try DX11. I know they were having some issues with DX12 before the patch.
    4. Check the event viewer to see if there are any other errors that are popping up when the game crashes. That should indicate if it's a hardware or a software problem.

Maybe @dshirk could offer more insight? Like I said replacing my dying (it was 4 years old) GTX 960 with a RTX 2060 was the solution for me.

8. _Feniks_

_Feniks_ Chieftain

I was able to play my old saved games even after latest patch but yesterday I wanted to start new game - been haveing this issue since. Looks like patch destroyed the game. I'm afraid this have nothing to do with graphics drivers as I was able to play old saved games for as long as I did not try to start new game - now game keeps crashing...

9. _Feniks_

_Feniks_ Chieftain

For some reason forum blocks me when I try to ad link to it's own topic while editing message above so here it is as separate post...

Solution that worked for me is described here:
    Firaxis: You're only making this game worse

10. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Sorry about that, new user posting the same link in 40% of their posts triggered it even though it was to this Forum!

Welcome to the Forum.