Civ6 Earth Maps Archive

hangman

almost-scientist
Hello all,

I used to mod Civ4/5 pretty frequently, but I found myself moving on from it a few years ago, as many modders do. Still, as the Civ6 modding community develops, we should remember that there were many pipelines for converting Civ4 assets to Civ5, and already there are a number of pipelines for converting Civ5 assets to Civ6. For maps, this means we already have access to two entire generations of maps, quality notwithstanding.

I'm in the process of converting my Civ5 maps, and although I don't really have much time to convert other maps right now, I think it would be a good idea to identify maps we are interested in preserving and bundle them together. Would anyone else be interested in collaborating on such a project?

I've been using Gedemon's method, which seems to work fairly well considering what we have to work with (i.e., the near-useless in-game worldbuilder :mad:). The process is... weird, but relatively painless for a modding task. The only significant issues I've found are:

• The mapscript that gets generated doesn't clamp the map size, so you can select a "small" map even if it's the biggest size available.
  • Snow+mountain tiles are visibly different from regular mountains in Civ6 (this was not the case previously).
  • Rivers not ending with a connected water tile will not render at all (Civ4 had no problems, Civ5 worked but didn't look great), including rivers that connect to the edge (Civ5 counted this as a water terminus).

As for me, I have my Southeast Asia and Central Asia (Large) maps converted so far. I'm planning on converting Morocco and Yemen as well. I think most of my other maps are too big to run without other mods, so I'll put them on the backburner for now. I could try splitting up the gigantic Fiji-Samoa-Tonga map I just released also.

Top Bottom