Civ6 unpopular opinions thread

Just want to pop up and say I really agree that established cities should have a way to focus on "improve" things or helping others instead of "building another new thing for its own". Civ IV and ES2 are good examples (I also really liked "Commerce Slider" as a concept), and VI's Projects are still being too spammy.

If anything, it would be much better to have more flexibility, variations, and inter-city interactions in a completely City-based game. Although I guess that might be a popular opinion instead of an unpopular one?

Sure. Once. But then why does it take 500 years to develop in my second city? Or my tenth city? Usually once a good idea starts it spreads like wildfire through everyone in contact with the idea.

I see that like @aieeegrunt , but you're right, it doesn't make sense to go through the whole process again in other cities, unless those cities are disconnected from a City that has a given infrastructure. Once a Project of a Science District has been succesfully completed in a City, it should be much easier and faster to do the same thing in other cities that are connected to it, be it through Road, Trade Route, or unlocked with a Tech/Civic/Policy.

This can easily be done in a new Civ Game, however the Issue with City Productions/Projects that always bothered me in the Civ Games, is that cities always have to work on something, which on its own isn't the Issue or unrealistic, but in Civ VI, a City ALWAYS HAS to be working on something, and that something is usually a Building or a Unit, occasionally a Project. I think a redesign of this Concept could be the Solution to "unrealistic building Time for Buildings and Units", with Units training taking 10s or 100s of years and Wonders 100s of Years.

What if we make the production of Infrastuctures just like discussed above and with Units training taking a max of 3-5 Turns (mostly in the late Game, because of Years/Turn difference from early Game) and once a City has built all the infrastructure it can build and doesn't have to build Units, the Player can simply ignore building something in that City? we could have the same amount of production Choices that we have now (Districts, Buildings and Units), but with much more Projects to work on. We could have Projects that improve certain Buildings or the Benefits of a Tile or the Citizens who are working the Tile (like training them so they can be more efficient), Projects that help other Cities building their stuff (like help building a Wonder or producing certain parts of a Units components (imagine a City is building a Ship and the other is focusing on training the Naval Units for that Ship)). Another Idea is making Unit Upgrades only possible via a Project in the City where the Unit was trained.

This way building something in a City would be much faster and the City would still always have something to work on (if the Player wants to), is it either improving something in that City, working a new Project or helping another City accomplish its Task. And if nothing special can be produced in a City, the Player could simply command the City to maintain itself, which increases Stability, and perhaps also the Yields generated (efficiency).

In Civ IV you could just put your city on producing science/gold/culture. It's still a production, but it gives a break in the buildings/units spamfest :)

Bwa ha ha MUST RESIST. Ya Producing Gold/Faith/Science would be a simple and elegant solution to late game fatigue for sure

I guess Projects sort of fill this need? That is usually my go to for just putting a city on autopilot

Although to be honest I basically never finish this gamr, because usually around the time I can build muskets my Civ score is like equal to the next three Civs combined and I declare victory and go home

That's a good idea. The corresponding Civ4 mechanic (domination victory once you have about 60% land area and world population) is too harsh. It does cut out some slog but it would be better if the values were a bit lower.

Alternatively, you could make AIs concede when they are out of the running and have the frontrunner win if all other Empires concede. That would likely a bit too gamey for some.

Reactions: PiR
I don't think game is "dying" or becoming "unpopular " it is still getting strong but people just have less time to spend on forum. ( and since there is no news people have even less reason to yell about in forum)

The July 2019 cav nerf update removed a dimension of play (the medieval-modern era blitzkrieg) thereby diminishing the game & making warmongering more of a slog.

I don't experience much pleasure with CivVI except by playing (currently) on Immortal and saying myself when seeing my conquests : AND IT IS ON IMMORTAL, YEY ! Next step Deity ? Not sure as I had a mal de chien to conquer Gilgamesh cities in the previous one, I mean it was easy : not too much damage from city bombardement, nearly no army to slow me down, but heck making the fortifications and health bars go down was so slow ! In previous tries I would have abandonned, but watching youtube learned me that it's not always how it looks like. (i.e. the more the city is damaged, the more damage you make to it)
Now I have a game on on Immortal again, the least I can say is that AI is focusing too much on science at the expense of military, so thx for the shinny science cities AI ! I may go on Deity after that, I don't know.

But for those who can always beat Deity already, I don't see why they continue to play ; where is the challenge for them ? (I guess that's why they complain because they are too good, but you know a game can't last forever. Don't you have other games to play, or friends to meet irl, or even a job ?) Of course there can be competition in those very forums, like GOTM or who can beat Deity the fastest possible, but in term of competition there's no better than multiplayer. Multiplayer is so attractive (theoretically), alas I can't beat Deity yet so I suck in yields except if I take Scythia, and yet some strategies have developped lately to counter it... (forward settling it at all costs, prevent it to improve its horses, declare war to steal worker, etc.) Of course there are some things to know, and the learning curve is quite rude, especially for the ego, and especially when you face seemingly asocial dudes that don't say a word crushing you. It's rude, unpolite and "trolling" in some way. Last discover en date : you have to mistrust continents maps : Brazil will crush your fleet when way behind you in science with its overpowered culture ship, and caravels are... walls crushers and city takers. (caravels powers is the true last discover en date here) Not to mention the far-ended players who will continue to play when only you and them not AI on the map, still not saying a word and waiting to show you : "ha ! you couldn't have beat me, see ? I'm the best !" This is a waste of time. Civ multi players are undisciplined. Immature. Just like in any other online game, which is quite a surprise I must say. Even in leagues some people cheat. Unfortunately, I have no friends who play Civ6, maybe I should look at making myself some at least online ones... yeah.

To sum up things around, I would say : unpopular opinion about Civ6 is that it has no point except beating the hardest difficulty level. The map generator, the million civs, the modes, mods even, are of no use... to me. Only thing that can feat challenge after SP is MULTIPLAYER, which is, if you have no friends, a true disaster that makes you feel even more alone.

I concentrated on the Leader possibilities because of the overwhelming problem of how to get around the resource sink that is the animated/voice-acted Leader portrayals, but of course Civs as a whole could hit the Singularity Events and change as well. In fact, this would be the primary place to ring in changes in Unique Units/Districts. They would be much less of a graphics resource sink, since Re-Skins can speed up the process immensely (and nobody can tell or care much that a member of a unit has the wrong style of beard or is wearing the wrong cravat).

Just for an easy example, imagine a Britain/England Civ which, in successive Singularity Decision Events, has the option of getting the following UUs and/or Unique Districts or Improvements:

Redcoat

Obviously, not all Civs are going to be able to generate a list that covers this amount of time, but just about any Civ can have potentially more than a single UU or District . . .
And this means that a Redcoat unit shown in Civ6 wearing uniforms from 1777 (American Revolution, ) with BOTH Tricornes and Napoleonic Shako a heddress like this is still acceptable even it is quite 'out of sync'? (note that frock coat is worn with fold collar and not standing ones as another UU. Imperial Guard does)?
Civ6 Redcoat Default.jpg

Note that Shako shown here is anachronistic. I'm not sure if foldcollar froc coat uniforms like this one had ever been worn with 1800s era Shako. ones originally introduced by Austria in 1780 (the 'first generation') did not have visor.

My unpopular opnion: Civ 5 is best then Civ 6.
Mostly because Civ 5 don't crash so often as civ6.

And also the Gengis Khan scenario is the best scenario ever made. Civ 6 don't have cool scenarios.

They need to bring back the Peat resource from Civ II.

my unpopular opinion is that diplomatic victory conditions should also include being suzerain to at least 1/3 of the city-states, if not 1/2 !

I use city-states a lot in my rather pacifist playstyle, but on the surface this would mean players destroying any CS they aren't already Suzerain of, which isn't that Diplomatic.

I think the 'losing Prestige Points' mechanic now is interesting but pretty limited, and could be expanded. Perhaps attacking a CS should lose you a Prestige Point? And conquering it loses you a second point.

Top Bottom