1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ6_Map_Utility 1.5.0

Easily create custom map sizes, add external map types (scripts) - No xml file modifications.

1. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

iluzek submitted a new resource:

Civ6_Map_Utility - Map Size Generator Utility

Read more about this resource...

2. Mynex

Mynex Chieftain

3. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

Glad you like it. Feel free to use it for your mod. If you have any suggestions regarding settings or ways that this tool could be improved, please let me know.

I noticed that some maps sizes made are bigger than 200 limit that I have in my app - i'll unlock soon but I am concerned about too large sizes crashing game and way to display that those settings might not work.
    Maybe some kind of 'advanced/untested' checkbox that would unlock options other than normal game allows.

Was thinking maybe some kind of tested map size configurations could be loaded as 'templates' or 'presets' if people post what works.

As i said in the resource page any suggestions would be welcome.

4. Shadole

Shadole Chieftain

This is awesome. I want to use custom map sizes without directly tinkering about with the XML, and my modding skills aren't up to snuff. This utility is exactly what I needed. Thanks a lot man.

5. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

Glad you like it. As soon as I finish with my other work I'll try to add similar section for adding map scripts.

6. Shadole

Shadole Chieftain

I'm looking forward to that very much. The app mentioned that the effect of altering plate value is unclear - I am wondering if you have any insight onto what you think this value effects? Also, have you any insight into resource generation + continent number? As far as I can tell, resources always spawn 4 unique luxuries to a continent, and going any higher than 6 continents results in certain continents without resources.

7. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

Unfortunately I do not know. My initial theory was that this value affects 'tectonic plates' in some calculations in scripts.
    Looking at the script I had that idea from I am not sure if that value is even used.
    It appears that devs might have 'scrapped' that value and hard coded single value for all maps.
    Script in question is - MountainsCliffs.lua

Code:
        -- Tectonics Plate Counts
        --local platevalues = {
        --     [WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_DUEL]        = 6,
        --     [WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_TINY]     = 9,
        --     [WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_SMALL]    = 12,
        --     [WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_STANDARD] = 18,
        --     [WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_LARGE]    = 24,
        --     [WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_HUGE]     = 30
        -- };
        local numPlates = 9;
        -- Add in any plate count modifications passed in from the map script.
        numPlates = numPlates * adjust_plates;
    However, It might still be used within this and other scripts under different name or with use of some obfuscated code that I do not know.
    It is a bit tricky to 'reverse engineer' their thing without good way to debug scripts without running game.

If in fact it is used, my best guess based on some tries is that it might be related to the number of land masses on the map as number of big islands/continents roughly was around platevalue number if they ranged from 3-5.
    By roughly I mean +/-1 so not very accurate when speaking of 3-5 land masses.

That was long way to reiterate that - I have no idea.

Yes, I can see what you mean. Some continents do not get luxury and some even get very little any resources.
    I think it might be couple of things not quite working for that number of continents.
    First of Resource Distribution in DebugGameplay.sql shows that the number of continents they 'planned' for is 8.
    Distribution of values does not exactly mean much to me for now, and I do not know if I'll have time to look into it.

Secondly, Resources have valid terrain and valid feature list so I guess It is possible that with combination of scripts distributing resources, frequency of the resource and lack of appropriate terrain for given resource might result in empty terrains.
    -Again I would need to study scripts to see what type of algorithm they use to chose resource and placement.

Unfortunately I cannot promise any strides into getting to the bottom of this. If I do indeed find time to do that I will make changes and add appropriate tools/functions to the tool.

8. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Plates are used in most mapscripts during the fractal generation. More plates creates more variation in coastlines, inland seas and can increase the number of separate landmasses.

The plate value you referenced above is used in the tectonic pass and has less of an effect on the final map. It influences hill and mountain placement on the island plates mapscript more than anything else due to the different fractal code that script uses.

If you need better example I can get you the exact code snipets when I'm not doing this on my phone.

Until we have a fix for resource placement make sure you limit continents to a max of 6, additional continents will have no resources. There are also worldsize limits for great people, with those you only need to keep the prophet limited to 7 unless or until we have more beliefs.

9. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

There is no need for snippets... My error was in using windows search tool on those files. For some reason showing no results.
    I run my custom program for searching for words and found references for PlateValue within following files.

I will have a look and test few things with that knowledge.

As to resources and great people - limits:
    I'll try to come up with more 'safe' way to provide values within my interface - and limit them unless 'advanced options' are selected - they would go out of normal bounds assuming some mods change settings.

10. Shadole

Shadole Chieftain

Thank you for the in-depth reply! Also thanks for Seven05's added info. Anyway, I'll be keeping a close eye on this utility :goodjob:

11. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

iluzek updated Civ6_Map_Utility with a new update entry:

Civ6_Map_Utility Update

Read the rest of this update entry...

12. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

Avast False Positive Blocking Application - Rebuild Solution - Seems to fix the issue.

13. CraigBee

CraigBee Chieftain

I'm trying to make a "crowded map". For example a Tiny sized map with 12 AI players instead of the current 6 players. I try to follow these instructions and I just epic fail. I don't see anything happening. I realize I'm probably stoopid, but maybe someone could explain it to me in a way a 5 year old could understand.

Quote:
    Use:
    1. Unpack archive using 7zip.
    3. Run Civ6_Map_Utility.exe
    4. Select settings you want.
    5. Browse to the main directory of the game "Sid Meiers Civilization VI" directory where you installed the game.
    If you have game with steam your location most likely will be:
    "C:\Program Files\Steam (x86)\SteamApps\Common"
    6. Add to Game
    7. Load game and test new map sizes.

14. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

First of all let me apologise for 'the messed up order' - there was additional step in there involving verification of checksum, but I removed it due to unexpected time on my hand that I can spend updating the program way too often to bother with checksums.

Secondly. If you wait 3-4 hours, you might be able to try new version that actually has presets for standard maps and could simply increase number of players...

But going back to the question.
    I assume you did manage to 'run the application'.
    I assume you selected path for your game by browse button - if it's steam it could be something like "C:\Program Files\Steam (x86)\SteamApps\Common\Sid Meiers Civilization VI\".

I assume you typed custom name for your map size.
    Once you have done that "Add to game" button will get unlocked. - Do not click it yet.

Tiny Map Size has following settings:

width = 60;
    height = 38;

min_players = 2;
    max_players = 6;
    default_players = 4;

min_city_states = 0;
    max_city_states = 10;
    default_city_states = 6;

natural_wonders = 3;
    plate_value = 3;
    continents = 2;

prophets = 3;

If you fill in those settings and 'increase' number of max players from 6 to 12, and set default players to something between 2 and 12, that should be enough.

I cannot guarantee that 12 Players will not be too many for 'tiny size map', in fact it is quite possibly 'very' crowded to the point that it might bug out, but you should be able to test and see. (try continents or some inland sea for large area if island plates or shuffle does not work) - Too much water can reduce amount of space significantly.

Well once you put in those settings, you can press add to game and load game normally. In Map Sizes look for your custom name and that should be it.

Good luck

15. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

Default game presets added

16. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Custom map sizes would be great for creating easy Deity difficulty wins.

17. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

I guess you are in luck then? Unless I'm misunderstanding. Feel free to download the app and see if it does what you imagined.

18. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

I meant with the smallest possible map size, with only Religious Victory enabled and your sole opponent being Kongo.

19. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

haha - Ye that would work. But then again why limit yourself? I'd go for Domination Victory against no AI Civs and only 3 other City States - Easy Turn 1 Victory - this actually happened when I was testing settings.

20. pippolo

pippolo Chieftain

very good, the utility goes very well....it works :)
    and.....what about map wrap - x ?...do you think it's possibile? (my idea is to create something like a map of Europe, so with border on left and right).
    Thanks for everybody has some ideas :) and sorry for my english...