1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ6's First Expansion: Who would you include?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Zaarin, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

We can be reasonably certain that Civ6's first expansion is under production. Civ5's expansions added 9-10 new civs each. Assuming that the new lineup will include 8 new civs and 2 new leaders, what would your ideal first expansion look like and why?

New Civs:
    • Powhatan (Chief Powhatan): At present Native North America is completely unrepresented in game; a Native American civilization is consequently top priority for me. Perhaps the biggest problem with many Native American civilizations is that it's hard to find leaders with big personalities because their white neighbors were more interested in conquering than documenting; not so with Chief Powhatan.
    • Korea (Queen Seondeok): While East Asia is perhaps not as underrepresented as some regions, I'm still eager to see Korea return. Seondeok would allow Korea to function much like previous depictions under Sejong but at the same time introduce a new face.
    • Babylon (Nabopolassar): Babylon is another civilization whose absence is rather astonishing. While Babylon in many respects built upon the foundations of Sumer, all successive empires in the region built on the foundations of Babylon. Babylon was a pioneer in art, science, and warfare. IMO Babylon is much more essential than the Mongols or Ottomans, who seem to be brought up more frequently, and the badly designed Sumerians only make their return more desirable.
    • Georgia (Tamar): I hope to see the first expansion improve religion the way BNW improved culture; if so, this is an excellent time to bring in Tamar of Georgia.
    • Netherlands (?): Because we're going to get a European civ and this one is the one I'd prefer.
    • Mongols (Kublai Khan): Because we shall have no peace until they return; let's have Kublai because we really don't need another warmongering horse lord at this time.
    • Ethiopia (?): Like Georgia, an excellent opportunity to expand on religion, and a great choice for African civ.
    • Inca (Huayna Capac): To be honest, I'd prefer the Maya, but since the Aztecs are already in that region I will begrudgingly accept the Inca in their stead.
    New Leaders:
    • Louis XIV of France: Because, while Catherine has an interesting in-game persona, France deserves a leader who is more...French.
    • Akhenaten of Egypt: Essentially the same as above, but for Egypt. Plus his religious reforms would go nicely with the religious theme I suggested above.

Manifold, luigilime, Xandinho and 3 others like this.
  2. AvianBritish

AvianBritish Chieftain

The United Kingdom of the British Isle & Atlantic
    The World Congress will be returning in the next DLC (I think it's been confirmed by Ed) so Diplomatic victory will probably return too.
    My Nine are:
    Canada
    Pueblo (Apache if the remaining Pueblo still don't want to be in the game)
    Inca
    Sweden (Specifically Charles XII)
    Portugal
    Carthage
    Zulu
    Mongolia
    Korea
    Persia (An alternative leader, meaning the Persia-Macedon DLC will just provide Macedon and Cyrus if it is already owned)
    And a handful of Alternative leaders such as Elizabeth, Washington, Ramesses, Wu Zetian.

3. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

That's a nice list you assembled. For civs like Korea, Babylon, Netherlands, Mongols and Inca I'm sure they'll come and it is just speculation if they'll be in the first or second expansion or a DLC. I'm more interested in the surprise civs and newcomers. I think the Tamar weeks (months?) in this forum might be enough reason for Firaxis to include her at some point. Civ VI so far had a lot of surprise civs (Kongo, Scythia, Nubia, Australia, Macedon) and some surprise leaders for more established civs (CdM, Gorgo, Saladin). I personally like this and hope it continues into the expansions and further DLCs. So I think there's maybe room for even more surprises.

new civs:
    Assyria (Assurbanipal)
    Portugal (Joao II)
    Maya (Jasaw Chan K'awiil I)
    Ethiopia (Lalibela)
    Georgia (Tamar)
    Khmer (Jayavarman II)
    Cree (Piapot)
    Nepal (Prithvi Narayan Shah)

new leaders:
    I feel a bit bad for this, but Zaarin already picked the best options with Akhenaten and Louis XIV.

Zaarin likes this.
  4. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

New Civs:
    - Incan Empire (Pachacuti/Huayna Capac) - South America has only one Civ so far. Andes are empty. This is a great Civ that would fill a large gap.
    - Ottoman Empire (Suleiman the Magnificent/Mehmed II/...) - Ottoman Empire is very interesting and also very important Civ in the world history. It has also many leaders to offer, and I hope that Firaxis will make them really interesting to play.
    - NA Civ - I was never very interested in this area, but it's too large gap to be ignored.
    - Mongolia (Genghis Khan) - Yes, I know, I downvoted both Mongols and Genghis Khan because of Scythia being already a horse horde Civ... But they are a Civ staple. There can't be Civ without the greatest conqueror in the world history, and without one of the largest empires in the world.
    - Korea (...) - I think Korea belongs to the game. I'm not an expert about the Korean history, so I'll take any good leader. But this game lacks some really scientific Civ.
    - Dutch Empire (Willem van Oranje) - Trade empire that thrives on coast could offer some interesting gameplay.
    - Mayans (...) - Mayans are really impressive, and they definitely should return, but I don't know who should lead them.
    - Byzantium (Alexios I Komnenos/Basil II/...) - Same as the Ottoman Empire - interesting, important and it has several leaders. I think this could make a good religious Civ. Oh, and we could have the conquest of Constantinople scenario with Ottomans :D
    - Bohemia (Wenceslaus II/Ottokar II/Charles IV) - While European, I think it's interesting and unique enough to be an interesting Civ. Also, I'm a Czech :mischief:

If there was some tenth Civ, I really don't know what to pick... So many good choices... (Carthage... Italy... Morocco... Mali... Ethiopia... Babylon...)

Second leaders:
    I'm not really sure if I want to see a second leader in the expansion pack, since I'm mostly interested in new Civs, but if there should be some second leader, these Civs should get him:
    - Egypt
    - France
    - INDIA!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Zaarin likes this.
  5. AvianBritish

AvianBritish Chieftain

The United Kingdom of the British Isle & Atlantic
    New Civs:
    Canada
    Pueblo (Apache if the remaining Pueblo still don't want to be in the game)
    Inca
    Sweden (Specifically Charles XII)
    Portugal
    Carthage
    Zulu
    Mongolia
    Korea
    Persia (Alternative Leader, but if you don't own the Macedon-Persia DLC you don't get Cyrus)

New Leaders:
    Elizabeth I
    Washington
    Ramesses II
    Wu Zetian

New Features:
    World Congress/United Natons
    Diplomatic Victory
    State Companies (Corporations and Railroads)

Other:
    A DLC that includes Iroquois, Maya and Netherlands for a "Colonization DLC"
    A DLC that includes Byzantium, Ottomans and Venice/Italy for a "Crusades DLC"

Lord of War N02 and Zaarin like this.
  6. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

The best choices for a scientific Korea are Queen Seondeok of Silla and Sejong of Joseon.

Civ6 has had enough surprising choices that it wouldn't shock me. I think it would be a great dark horse candidate for European civ.

Yes, India badly needs a second leader--or better yet to get balkanized now that Macedon has set a precedent.

I'd be surprised to see three civs in a DLC, but it would be a pleasant surprise.

7. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec Chieftain

You know that place by the other place...
    The Minoans... King Minos since we don't know anything about their actual leaders and language.
    Kievan Rus... Yaroslavl The Wise
    The Hittites... Hattusili
    Harappa... Shiva, hey, why not
    Phoenicians... Ithobaal
    Olmec... Xtapolapocetl, meh, The Simpsons are always right
    The Inca... Pachacuti
    Dacia... Burebista
    Korea... Dangun, just so we can have Turtle Ships again :)

... this way we basically have all the writing systems of the world!!

8. Xandinho

Xandinho Warlord

I think 8 civs a little amount, I think we'll see more than 10 civs per expansion this time around.

New civs:

1. Mayas (I would rather have 2 Mayan leaders. Pacal for Palenque and some leader for Tikal)
    2. Incas (Pachacuti)
    3. Ethiopia (whichever is a good option)
    4. Khmer (Jayavarman VII)
    5. Ottomans (whichever is a good option)
    6. The Netherlands (Guilherme de Orange)
    7. Portugal (whichever is a good option)
    8. Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II)

Honorable mentions to other civs that I would like to see in the first expansion: Mali, Mongolia, Korea, Maori, Iroquois, Ashanti and Sweden.

New Leaders:

Akbar or Ashoka (India)
    Ramses II (Egypt)

Honorable mentions to other leaders: Napoleon or Louis XIV (France), Elizabeth (England), Catherine (Russia), Bismarck (Germany)

New Mechanisms:

World Congress / Diplomatic Victory
    Idelologies
    Colonizations

Zaarin likes this.
  9. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

I know that Firaxis is fond of modern civilizations, so I'm not too surprised if Canada were to show up.

10. Labrynian Rebel

Labrynian Rebel Chieftain

My Nine:
    1. Indiana led by Tecumseh
    2. The Cherokee led by John Ross
    3. The Incas led by Manco II
    4. (Gran) Columbia led by Simon Bolivar
    5. Chile led by Bernardo O'Higgins
    6. South Africa led by Nelson Mandela & Paul Kruger
    7. Ethiopia led by Menelik II
    8. Mongolia led by Ogedei Khan
    9. The Turks led by Seljuk

Alt Leaders: Walpole/England, Constantine/Rome, Ariovistus/Germany, Elizabeth/Russia

11. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Let's see (assuming Khmer/Majapahit are added in the upcoming SEA DLC), I would mix some newcomers with some old favorites:

• Ashanti (Yaa Asantewaa)
    • Assyria (Ashurbanipal)
    • Byzantium (Justinian/Theodora/Basil II)
    • Goths (Theodoric the Great)
    • Iroquois (Hiawatha/The Great Peacemaker/Jigonhsasee)
    • Korea (Queen Seondeok)
    • Mali (Mansa Musa)
    • Maori (Hongi Hika)
    • Mayans (Lady Six Sky/Yuk'Noom the Great)
    • Mongolia (Genghis Khan)
    Secondary leaders:
    • Senusret III for Egypt,
    • Henry V for England,
    • Louis XIV for France,
    • Wu Zetian or Kangxi for China, and
    • Akbar or Chandragupta Maurya for India.
    Could easily switch out Goths for the Inca or another Native American civ, but I think realistically we'll get max 2 Native American civs, hence Iroquois and Mayans in my list. I think Mayans in particular would be interesting for the scientific aspect, as would Assyria and Korea. I think Celts (in some form) or Goths would be a more interesting European civ to include due to their being ancient (as opposed to Renaissance/Industrial like many other European civs will be).

Noticeably absent in my list are Ottoman Turks, who I suspect would be a DLC in some form or other if not added in the first expansion.

I may also have too many civs whose names start with "m" in my list.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Kimiimaro and Zaarin like this.
  12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Why Indiana and not the Shawnee?

Zaarin likes this.
  13. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I'd say they'd fit right in with Gilgamesh, but at least Gilgamesh existed. :p

Still missing Armenian and Georgian, whose exact relationship to each other is unclear, but they're not descended from either Phoenician or Brahmic scripts.

She's not from Tikal, but Lady Six Sky of Naranjo wouldn't be a bad second leader. There's also the Lady of Tikal who unfortunately doesn't have a name...

The Mayans aren't Native American, though, in the traditional sense: the term is usually restricted to the non-Inuit indigenous peoples of North America north of the Rio Grande. But I agree that they're unlikely to include two Native North American civs in one expansion, and given their absence from the base game perhaps we won't even see a second Native American civ. :( (I'd love to see the Goths, incidentally. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, they can ditch the probably-once-again-stereotyped-and-mismatched Celts for the Goths.)

Xandinho and Kimiimaro like this.
  14. Amrunril

Amrunril Chieftain

I think 8 new civs is a bit pessimistic. Civ V's expansions both had 9, and while alternate leaders might complicate things a bit, Civ VI did include more vanilla civs than V
    and seems likely to have more DLC civs. I'd hope that this trend will continue in the expansions, especially given that each new edition has ultimately included more civs than the previous one. To honor the conditions of the thread, though, my list of 8 would look something like this:

Inca: The most glaring omission from the vanilla roster. I could see this civ with a mountain, infrastructure, gold (I think the Roman trade ability would have been a great fit) or even culture bonus.
    Maya: Another great empire of the Americas
    Haida: Distinct from existing and past civs to an almost unparalleled extent. Thriving population centers supported by hunting and fishing and an iconic art tradition would be a great source of unique mechanics (like the suggestions in my signature).
    Iroquois: This would be an excellent choice for a diplomatic civ. perhaps with unique city state interactions.
    Mali: I generally put very little emphasis on leader choice, but Mansa Musa really does stand out. I would envision some combination of gold and religious focus.
    Swahili: A great choice for a maritime trade civ.
    Mongolia: The game does already have a lot of militarist civs, but this really stands out for the speed with which it transitioned into a world-changing power and the manner in which it adapted the technologies and institutions of conquered nations
    Khmer: I'm less familiar with Southeast Asia than the Americas, but it is a region that should be represented, and Khmer is one of several strong choices.

Of course, this list would be subject to change based on intervening DLC releases and what civs fit the expansion mechanics particularly well. Other strong contenders would include Lakota, Creek/Mississippian, Babylon, Assyria, Indonesia and Vietnam.

Zaarin likes this.
  15. Raz.BELOVED

Raz.BELOVED Chieftain

My picks for new civs would be
    Bulgaria
    Armenia
    Mongolia (I firmly believe that Mongolia should have 4 leaders, one for each khanate)
    Burma
    Swahili
    Ashanti
    Inca
    Mississippi

And my leaders would be
    James K Polk for America (Some sort of Manifest Destiny ability)
    Yongle Emperor for China (Naval Exploration/Diplomacy bonuses)

Zaarin likes this.
  16. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Franklin Pierce would also be interesting:

Gadsden Purchase:

The United States can purchase adjacent territory from another civ for 10 times the regular price, more if there's improvements on them already. Cannot purchase tiles adjacent to another civ's city centre. The other civ would receive 90% of the purchase price and would gain a negative diplomatic modifier with the United States.

17. Roman Citizen

Roman Citizen Chieftain

New civs

Ashanti (Nana Yaa Asantewaa, Osei tutu I)
    Mali (Mansa Musa)
    Ottoman (Attaturk, Suleiman)
    Mongolia (Genghis Khan)
    Inca (Topa Inca Yupanqui)
    Apache (Geronimo)
    Iroquois (Joseph Brant)
    Ethiopia (Menelik II)

New Leaders
    Rome (Gaius Gracchus)
    China(Yongle Emperor, Kangxi emperor)
    India (Shivaji, Akbar the Great)
    Germany (Helmut Schmidt)
    America (John F Kennedy)
    Russia (Nikita Khrushchev)

Scenarios

Cold War

Expeditions of the treasured fleets of the Ming

World War I

World War I East Africa

Mughals and Marathas

New units
    Great war Infantry( Can build trenches which are effective defense against inferior and equal units, ineffective against tanks and more advance infantry)
    Zeppelin or Great war Bomber (both have advantages and disadvantages you would have the option of picking one of them)
    Mark V Tank or A7V Tank (Same with the bombers)
    Dreadnought
    B-2 Spirit
    Riflemen

A new Great person added called the "Great Ace" used for the Air force.

18. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

You could use Lahan Unen Mo' as a female leader for Tikal. While I would prefer her husband, I you must choose a female leader for Tikal, she's probably the way to go. Lady Six Sky is more famous, sure, but what we really know about her is actually not that much - a lot is just romantic warrior queen fantasy.

Zaarin likes this.
  19. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Hmm, probably a lot like others, plus another few non-starters

1). Inca
    2). MONGOLS!!!
    3). Netherlands (Yeah I know there is a lot of Europe already but it might be interesting to see what they do with polders this time around)
    4). Maya
    5). Ottomans
    6). Iroquois
    7). Cahokia would be cool and different if there was enough information on it
    8). Tibet (impossible because politics)
    9). Maori (just think the leaders and the civ abilities could be really cool with this one)

20. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Considering the Iroquois' interactions with smaller tribes chiefly consisted of hostile takeovers, that sort of diplomatic ability would be much better suited for the Powhatan; the Iroquois reserved diplomatic relations for European powers. ;)

Ed Beach does seem to have a thing for those, though. :mischief: I think the best choice for a female Mayan ruler would be Yohl Ik'nal, but not at the expense of her grandson, which rules her out if the goal is to represent multiple Mayan city-states.

Siptah likes this.