CivBE free to play on Steam this weekend

Playing a demo and a full game for a limited time is not exactly the same thing. ;)

I haven't been keeping up with civ games lately so I'm glad for the opportunity although so far my first impression is that CivBE looks more like a mod for Civ V. It's actually a bit disheartening.

In addition, there is a very good chance that the free to play on steam is with the current patch (for the platform)

The Demo will be stuck on CD release.

Firaxis are desperate to get this game selling it seems. Id rather just play Civ IV.

Perhaps this is a precursor to an upcoming DLC release?

Firaxis are desperate to get this game selling it seems. Id rather just play Civ IV.

I'm not sure it's the right move because the free trial has convinced me to stay away from the game for the time being.

CivBE badly needs some expansions (just like vanilla Civ V before). If what I wanted was a mod for Civ V there are other options (things like Empires of the Smoky Skies for instance) and unfortunately right now that's how I feel about BE.

CivBE badly needs some expansions (just like vanilla Civ V before).

I agree. Just one big expansion would be ok with me. I'd love to see an expansion that gives more personality and unique bonuses to the current factions, adds more factions, adds new military tile improvements (bunkers and airbases), adds new units like submarines and flying aircraft carriers, and adds a couple new features like true terraforming, happiness separate from health that can lead to splinter factions and great people.

It's far too soon for there to be any substantial DLC imminent. Maybe something small though, like a new faction is conceivable.

This game is so badly botched that it will affect long on firaxis reputation. We can see from steam statistic how many people will play BE as free game and how many will buy it. I doubt it will gather more players because BE is an awful game.

People likely expected BE to be updated version from latest civ5 and likely they would have updated civ5 a bit more, like internet code. Instead of they managed to make game that is like vanilla civ5 release but even worse: less everything, horrible unbalanced and ai is even less a challenge.

This forum is quite dead compared to other civ-game forums, simply because BE is an awful game.

I was not a fan my first game or two, but now that I understand everything I am enjoying playing on Apollo now.

I also enjoy the game. So i would suggest people who are curious take the time to check for themselves.

I bought it on Steam sale a couple weeks ago and am having fun with it. Still only on my second game though, time has been limited.

I like it and i have enjoyed it a lot, so no regrets at all (i got on sale tho), i am a civilization newbye, and i took advandtadge of this weekend sales to get the civ 5 expansions, since i already had the game when i bought XCOM for free (planning to play it tonight, i am excited :D).

I believe that CBE needs expansions to get much better even tho i am entertained, but i can't really speak how worse it is compared to others civilizations with more content out there, on the paper, reading about CiV5, there is a lot that could be improved, and in my opinion CivBE winning conditions (all of them barring contact) are too tied to the affinity, which stream lines too much tech paths and the game experience for the player, so while the game has depth, you are not rewarded by it, but the oppossite.

Either affinity shouldn't be tied to research, or victory conditions shouldn't just be a "get academies, rush affinity, win".

Top Bottom