Civdip XV: Gunboat fun

ambuel

swan princess
Since we seem to have a good streak going, I thought I’d throw my hat in the GMing hat. This will be my first time doing so after years of playing. And, just to make it a really challenge, I’d like to set up a gunboat variant. Nothing like secrecy to heighten the excitement. Since we do have a small group here, it might be nice not to know who's who for once. There will be no reputations to base anything off of. Here are the ground rules:

1.) Do NOT post your intent to enter the game here. PM me with that and you country preference list. First come first serve and a list of alternates would be nice. When I PM you back with you country assignment, PM me what you want your title and name to be.

2.) Once the game is full, I will create email addresses for each player. The idea is to keep identities secret until the end.

3.) The issue of mass press: If you wish to have press on the thread, email me or pm we with it and I will post it. Make sure the press is in quotation marks so I don’t mess it up. Press may or may not be attributed.

4.) Order format as follows: When emailing orders, in the subject line you must have your country and the turn we are on. Ex. England Fall 1903 Orders. If you submit more than one set, I’ll use the last set I receive.
Orders should be written out in order to avoid confusion.
Ex. A Paris – Gascony
F London – English Channel
F Barren Sea Convoy A St. Petersburg – Norway
A Bulgaria Hold
A Venice Support A Rome – Tuscany
So forth and so on…..I think you get the idea

5.) The goal is to have 2 turns a week, like Fall and Winter. Let me know if you have any vacation plans, family reunions, business trips, or anything else that gets in the way. Of course, the same goes for me. I would like to avoid NMR’s.

6.) I’ll adjudicate using Realpolitik. If everyone wants, I'll post the files. Maps of moves will be posted, too.

7.) Comments from anyone are always welcome on the thread.

Just a couple of suggestions: Perhaps pick a country you normally don’t like to play to mix it up a bit. Vary your writing styles for your press. And have fun. I hope this works.
Let the game begin! :crazyeye:

Hey hey hey now...I plan to get in a game, however, I really can't start with a variant. Is there a way to keep this a little standard?

it is a standard map. Everything but press and identities are the same. If you do intend to join DO NOT POST HERE! pm me instead. If you have any questions, you may pm me, too. Or, you can just watch this one. And we need five more players people...

We are looking for three more people....get 'em while they're hot!!!!

Ok, everyone, we're looking for one more player........and then we can get things started.

but trying to get the last can be painful....

Ok, folks, we are just about ready to begin. I need prefs and names from the last two players. Then, I'll set up the emails. After that, all systems go and ready for launch...........

Good work Ambuel, one tip would be just to check with everyonne they are up for this and the level of commitment it involves.

As a GM I know how hard it can be to keep a game moving along, good luck with your first GMing experience. To all those involved, hope you have fun and will play in other civdip games as it'll be nice to have more activity here :)

kittenOFchaos said:
Good work Ambuel, one tip would be just to check with everyonne they are up for this and the level of commitment it involves.

As a GM I know how hard it can be to keep a game moving along, good luck with your first GMing experience. To all those involved, hope you have fun and will play in other civdip games as it'll be nice to have more activity here :)

Thank you for the words of wisdom KoC. I'll have to keep that in mind for next time.

It has been brought to my attention that in true gunboat all press goes through the GM. I had thought to do a modified version by setting up annonymous emails for all the participants and having them do their own dip. If the players could PM me with what they would like, I will do either. Others watching, feel free to express you opinion on the thread.

Basically, what we are talking about is time constraints. I do have a 19-month-old and she WILL NOT let me sit at the computer. I do have about h half an hour in the morning before she gets up. She is still taking two naps so that gives me roughly one and a half hours later in the morning and same amount of time in the afternoon. She goes to bed around 8:30pm EDT and I'm free after that. I don't mind having the press go through me. I just want everyone to be aware it won't be as fast as you can do it yourselves. Now, maybe a slower paced game is what everyone wants. That depends on how busy your life is. PM me to let me know.
thanks for you time and consideration.

Ok, i think i have a quarum from the PM's. We'll go with email. Update to follow in a little bit. And, thanks for less work for me.....Now KEEP YOUR IDENTITIES TO YOURSELVES. I really wanted to have a secret identity game so people could get a bit more creative....not that all you folks don't. Plus, if you play with the same group, you tend to build a reptutation. This will tear down the walls a little. Ok, off to set things up....

We have all gathered
The year is 1901
The season is Spring

Seven contesting
To conquer the Continent
For once and for all

Gunboat is the game
Secrecy is how we play
The game is afoot

Austrian leader
Moniker has the power
Will the gambit pay?

The sun never sets
For "The King God Saved" England
Will he reign supreme?

Now back from Elba
President Napoleon
No more Waterloo?

General Bismarck
Today is his call to arms
Victory follows?

Italy rallies
to Spartacus' side for war
Can he seize the day?

The Bear hunts his game
They say the Ukraine is weak
Can "Czar" drive them West?

Turkey's Suleyman
Strives for more than three centers
How many shall fall?

Each ruler wants more
Armies and Navies prepare
The stage has been set

First deadline: Sunday, June 5, 2005, @ 2330GMT

ps...sorry if i spelled anyone's name wrong....

"I am Spartacus - I am friend to the fair and just and enemy to the lying scum - you know who you are and I will soon know too. But before the blood is shed let us all drink to the coming war and the glory and ruin that will follow."

Just a reminder, [I]Spring 1901 orders due Sunday, June 5, 2005 @ 2330 GMT[/I] Thank you for your cooperation. Provisional orders gladly accepted here.

Ok, so it seems we might have a false start. Deadline is past for the very first orders and I'm missing from two countries. So, I'll exstend the deadline by at least 24 hours for the missing persons.

In the meantime, looking for subs.....If anyone is interested, please PM me. Thank you very much and I humbly appologize for the delay.

Seems life got in the way for one of our participants. Now, still waiting for one missing person to show up to the party.....

I found a replacement. Just going to give the full 24hours to be fair. I hope that's fair.....

Top Bottom