CivDip005 The Guns of August

Magnus

Diplocat
I am Announcing a new Standard Game of Diplomacy. I have already confirmed three players and will accept anyone who posts here on this thread or private messages me. I am accepting country preferences as well. Please be advised that a 'Play By E-mail' Diplomacy game will generally take a few months to finish, and that the commitment of all players to play out the game will greatly increase the fun for everyone. Posting publicly in the this forum is highly encouraged; CC:ing me during international private negotiations is optional but welcomed! I will check orders for accuracy and notify individuals if there are obvious errors or inconsistencies if there is time for me to do so (so get those orders in early!).

This is a Standard 18 Centre win game but any winter after the year 1907, there may be a vote held (must be unanimous) by all surviving countries to end the game and declare the country with the most centres the winner. I am going to allow at least 5 days of negotiations between each move phase and have 24 hour deadlines for retreats, and additionally 24 hour deadlines for disbands and/or builds. We should average one full turn a week, and two full years of play a month.

If you fail to submit orders, your country will go into 'Civil Disorder' and all units will hold with any retreat resulting in disbandment. If you fail to submit a retreat the unit disbands, if you fail to submit disband, I will choose for you (generally the furthest from a home centre not on a supply centre) if you fail to submit a build, you get no build for that year.

Additionally, each player will have the right to invoke a 48 hour emergency extension ONCE during the game, if a player needs another 48 hours after the first is used up, he or she will have to ask another player to use theirs instead. I will inform all players when the extension is invoked and by whom.

If you haven't already done so I urge you to visit this site http://realpolitik.sourceforge.net to download and install a little Diplomacy utility that will make it much easier for you to follow the game. I will be submitting to all players '.dpy' file with every seasonal adjudication, so you can get a better idea on how the results went.

The three players I have so far:

spycatcher34
Bill_in_PDX
EmperorSnefix

Best of luck to all involved - I hope to get this underway by next week.

Magnus

I'd love to play.
As a complete newbie then I expect to find myself in deep water but that will depend on how my allies treat me. And er, on how I treat them! :)
As I can only get net access at work then I'd prefer it if we could have the turns submitted by Wednesdays, with disbands, retreats and build orders in on Thursdays. Weekends are completely out I'm afraid but I'll do my best to catch up on Mondays and send out a barrage of e-mails on Friday! :D
I'll also be on holiday for the second week of September but will do my best to find a replacement for that turn if I last that long.
Sorry to be so difficult, but I'm looking forward to this game and promise to stab no backs whatsoever on the first turn.

My e-mail is: theactormichaelyork@yahoo.co.uk

Just a warning to duke o' york that my friend brooksy signed on to CFC so he could play diplomacy, and his call-sign is "Duke of York." Just to make sure there is no confusion.

R.III

I highly recommend getting in on this game, even if it is your first time. I just started playing Diplomacy over E-mail and it's a blast. Magnus will do a great job of running things (currently, he's running his French armies all over my German ones...)

Anyway, jump in and enjoy it. It's a great learning experience with some really cool people.

I will play ONLY if you need me...

Hopefully you won't...

Toasty, there are no crappy countries, only crappy... Well you know what I mean :p!!!

Toasty, you have wrote the book on Austrian survival in a Civfanatic game! ;)

IS there any more places available? I'm certainly not starting another game in Redscape.

Yeah, an Italy that can't find a King that lives for more than a few weeks :p!

i would love to have a country to if there are any left.

Europe's leader roll call:

AUSTRIA - EmperorSnefix

ENGLAND - duke o' york

FRANCE - Toasty

GERMANY - Demetrias

ITALY - KittenOFChaos

RUSSIA - spycatcher34

TURKEY - Bill_in_PDX

I shall send everyone involved an email address list shortly; I shall not post one here. I shall post a map of Europe in 1900 soon as well.

Orders for Spring 1901 are due Midnight (GMT) Tuesday August 6, 2002 (7PM Tuesday USA Daylight time)

Good 'luck' to all involved! ( PS - thanks for the the kind words, Shakey! :goodjob: maybe we will treat the German people nicer now... :p )

The Sultanate in Ankara looks forward to opening discussions with all of my friends who lead great nations.

Europe. 1900. the latest crisis in Europe, the Swiss Succession crisis has the great Powers scrambling like mad to mobilise for war. Will it come to this, can the madness be stopped? In England recently sworn in Prime Minister Michael O'York of the Continental Party coalition was recently seen on the British Dreadnought 'Inconceivable' - does this mean the fleet will be leaving port shortly? . In Germany, Kaiser Demetrias has been identified inspecting troops in the Black Forest, and making sure all the infantrymen's helmets points are extra sharp, just like his afternoon cheddar snack. In France, President Toasty has been overheard wondering if 'Generallissimo attire' is coming back in style - Paris says - a definitive YES. In Italy the uber-nationalistic Kittino Lambini has declared that Italian shall be the only language of diplomacy and has hired the worst translators possible to insure that all foreign ministers must speak in his tongue if they wish to communicate properly - the enigmatic Kitten is never seen without his original copy of Nicolo Machiavelli's 'The Prince'. Across the Alps In Austria-Hungary, Emperor Snefix, upon hearing that Vienna was voted the most decadent city in Europe by the quarterly Magazine 'Europa Europa' decided to round up and draft into the armed forces every single dancer, thespian, artiste and hair stylist to clear the city of such useless flamboyancy. This writer's view is that Austria may not be have the largest or best equipped army in the world, but they certainly will field the most stylish force ever assembled in history. And further to the east we have received information that the famous Russian intelligence officer, Spycatcher, caught her 34th spy! Indeed it was enough for the Duma to vote her in as the new Empress! Further details are sketchy at best because that particular spy happened to be ours.... and finally down south there is a new Sultan in town, a certain Bill from Ankara, and rumour has it that he will be doing his best to reverse a 300 year trend of reversal for the empire. Can he do it? Time will tell. Will Switzerland find a new king? Most likely. Is Europe on the brink of self destruction? You can bet on it.

your trusty war correspondent, Magnus:scan:

Orders Received and Resolved:

Austria:
A Budapest - Rumania (*Bounce*)
F Trieste - Albania
A Vienna Hold

England:
F Edinburgh - Norwegian Sea
A Liverpool - Edinburgh
F London - North Sea

France:
F Brest - Mid-Atlantic Ocean
A Marseilles - Spain
A Paris - Picardy

Germany:
A Berlin - Kiel
F Kiel - Denmark
A Munich - Ruhr

Italy:
F Naples - Ionian Sea
A Rome - Tuscany
A Venice Hold

Russia:
A Moscow - Sevastopol (*Fails*)
F Sevastopol - Rumania (*Bounce*)
F St Petersburg(sc) - Gulf of Bothnia
A Warsaw - Ukraine

Turkey:
F Ankara - Black Sea
A Constantinople - Bulgaria
A Smyrna - Constantinople

Attachments

• 005spr01.jpg
    005spr01.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 336
Lots of movement in Europe this Spring, the British took to the high seas, the French invaded Spain, The Germans invaded Denmark, Italy had some nice pasta with alfredo sauce and meatballs, Austria and Russia clashed in Rumania and the clear victor was the Rumanian army, who somehow held off two Great Powers, also Turkey invaded Bulgaria.

What does this all mean? It means the governments of Norway, Sweden , Holland, Belgium, Portugal, Tunisia, Greece and Serbia must be quite worried at all the naked agression that has been heaped on their sister states by the wolfpack that is the Great Seven of Europe. Now if the laws and customs that protect these little states are so casually tossed out the window, what will happen when all the big countries left have nothing else to devour.... but each other?

Stay tuned, this ought to be a good one.

Magnus, your friendly war correspondent

No retreats - next set of orders are due Tuesday, August 13 @ 7 PM US EST, Midnight GMT

Attachments

• 005aut01.jpg
    005aut01.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 315
The Sultan observed with fascination the reports from his diplomatic corps.

His father, and grandfather, had endured the systematic decimation of the once proud Ottoman Empire. That movement had been overtly and covertly driven by many of the same western european powers that now seemed to be on the march again. The Sultan saw these early deployments and knew that Turkey needed to be onguard.

He also had many questions and observations. For example:

Russia was clearly moving forces south. Was the surprising standoff in Romania simply a staged event, designed to lower the defenses of Turkey while Italian and Austrian fleets set up a deadly convoy route?

What of the elusive Italian Duce who only spoke in the grandiose terms of his native tongue? It is quite telling that he has made no aggressive move toward either immediate neighbor...what is up his sleeve?

Germany, France, and England were clearly pursuing their own interests, but the Sultan knew that one or more of these leaders could well be inadvertantly supporting one of the predators around Turkey.

The Sultan was appalled as the outright expansion of the great powers in Europe. His own move into Bulgaria was simply a policing assistance matter. In fact, his troops had been "invited" in by the Bulgarian leader himself....to this thought, the Sultan laughed, as clearly having a pistol to his head probably influenced the decision a bit....

So while the Turkish expansion had been justified, these other european nations were engaged in reckless illegal annexations.

Generalissimo attire had, indeed, become all the rage in Paris. In fact, after only less than three decades of Democracy, the people of France had surrendered their ideological nonesense in the wake of nationalism and militarism.

In a hugely supported military coup by the French Armée, Président Hamme d'Idiocy was promptly removed from office, poisoned, drowned, and shot. The French military claimed that the Président committed suicide, and this was widely accepted by the syphillitic French population.

The long-known Spanish ulcer had been already been taken care of, and the King was poisoned, drowned, and shot, also reportedly by suicide--after French forces revealed "information" that he was homosexual. Rather than let the Spanish Kingdom fall into disarry, it was put under the iron fist of French militarism.

Soon the world would face a stronger France than it had ever known.

The Austrian Archduke looked over the reports that his field commanders and strategists had given him. The attack into Rumania had not gone as planned. By all pre-war strategems the annexation of Rumania should have been simple, but when Russia got involved it complicated matters.

Poor weather, inept troops from conscripting artists and dancers into the military, and mistaking Rumanias and Russias made things worse.

Now he was stuck in an unanticipated position, having to choose between offense into Greece and Serbia or saving face and winning Rumania.

Good morning and welcome to the British Empire newswire!
Our Prime Minister o' york emerged into the morning sun from Buckingham Palace looking very pleased after his summer interview with her Majesty and declared that the future looks bright for the British nation. All is going very well in our distant colonies overseas and the military manouevres in European waters have proceeded according to plan although the wires have also brought potentially troubling news for the government.
The Foreign Office were looking at the situation in Belgium with particular interest, aware that French and German armies are eying the region with intent and that British involvement on behalf of either side could mean a valuable alliance for us and a terrible enemy. Having heard nothing from either government though, the British fleet in the North Sea will maintain a watching brief for the time being and see what our diplomats make of the situation.
In other news, the English football team made a good showing in a spirited scoreless tie with Scotland and both sets of supporters were surprisingly good-natured and the North Lancashire Baseball league thrashed the American touring party 5-2 in their best of 9 match series. Alan Foxbury bowed off the London varieties stage after a fifteen year career to a tumultuous standing ovation after his third encore at the Alberta Theatre in the West End and missing schoolgirl Josie Whelks has been reunited with her parents after two days in the Lake District after being separated from her school party in a storm.
Mild showers are expected in Scotland and the North East of England but Cumbria, Lancashire and North Wales will see an improved spell after last week's downpours. In the Midlands and the South we can look forward to more sun so those of you by the coast get out your buckets and spades!

[edit]: I forgot to mention that I won't be at work next Monday so will have to deal with any diplomatic envoys on Tuesday just before submitting my own moves. This means that those who send me messages will probably only get one in reply max so be aware of this. Sorry all. :)

Top Bottom