1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CivGeneral's Catholicism Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GenMarshall, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cuivienen

Cuivienen Deity

You missed one major denomination: Mormonism.

Anyway, some Protestants don't consider Catholics Christians, and some Catholics don't consider Protestants Christians, but it's just bad blood. The majority of Christians (1.1 billion of 2.1 billion) are Catholic.

2. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Acutaly, Mormonism falls under the Restorationist movement. If I have forgotten to add that, My apologies :).

3. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Some offshoots, like Mormonism, 7th Day Adventists, etc. are sometimes seen as so far distances from the core of Christianity, that they're barely, if not even Christian in its' true sense. That's how some people view it. (probably something like a very watered down version).

4. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Most Christian churches say that Mormons are Christians, but Mormons say that they are Christians.

5. Cuivienen

Cuivienen Deity

"Restorationist" is a bit of a broad umbrella for various completely different branches of the religion. While Seventh-Day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses could be combined due to similar roots, I think putting Mormonism in Restorationism is an effort to just lump together "the rest" in an ideologically disjointed manner.

6. Urederra

Urederra Mostly harmless

No entiendo.

(I don't understand)

7. The Condor

The Condor On an excellent adventure

What do those crackers you eat or the holy water that is poured or splashed on you do like shown in some movies in the churchs? Do they mean anything?

8. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

They aren't "crackers". It's either bread, or waffers, and it's wine, not holy water that is poured during Holy Communion.

Catholics believe that it's the body and blood of Christ.
    Most protestants believe that it represents the body and blood of Christ (symbolism).

It's the body and blood of Christ that was shed on the cross when He suffered and was crucified for our sins. During Holy Week, the events leading up to the Crucifixtion are 'celebrated' (Mass, church service, etc.), then we celebrate the Ressurection on Easter Sunday, when Jesus rose from the dead.

9. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Okay, Mormons claim they are Christians.
    Christians say that Mormons aren't Christians.

10. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

The Eucarist (sp?) is to represent the last super where Jesus and his 12 buddies ate bread and drank wine. Its the painting that Da Vici did. During that supper the Holy Spirit came to them as a flame. Eating the bread and drinking the wine (or grape juice) like they did while the priest says what ever it is he says ( i forgot) that Jesus said. Its all symbolic of that last supper.

11. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

I guess I could answer some questions, if anyone wants my input. Catholics have various beliefs, except for the core beliefs of the religion. That means for some questions, it may be better to get several answers.

12. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

13. classical_hero

Why are there seven sacraments of the Church when in the Bible we only ever see two mentioned in the Bible as being for Christians to observe? Those two are The Lord's Supper and Baptism.

14. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

You know, it's a pretty basic tenet of Catholicism that not everything prescribed by God is in the Bible. That alone would clear up most questions in this thread.

15. classical_hero

How will you be able o test to see if it is really what God wants?

16. Meleager

Meleager Stoned as a Statue

Is there any doctrine about the vatican being a seperate country and all?

17. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

If it stands up to reason and what has already been divinely revealed.

18. Cuivienen

Cuivienen Deity

None at all. The Vatican is separate because it has been independent (except for a brief rule by Napoleonic France) since the 6th century when the Byzantines gave up on northern and central Italy. The Pope was a powerful authority figure at a time when powerful figures were lacking, so the Papal States (the fomer Exarchate of Ravenna plus Latium) became a political entity. For religious reasons, no one dared actually annex the Papal States until Napoleon though they were defeated many times. When Italy became united, all of the Papal States save the Vatican became a part of Italy, but the newly-united kingdom allowed the Pope to maintain independence out of respect.

19. classical_hero

How can you tell if it has been divinely revealed already, and isn't that what the Bible is? So then shouldn't the Catholic Church then look to the Bible for thier standards?

20. Meleager

Meleager Stoned as a Statue

When the bible was first going through the stages of being translated into English many of the translators where persecuted because it was believed that "normal" people couldn't understand the bible without a guide. Does the Catholic Church still support this position?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.