1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

CiVI Reformation Golden Ages

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Unreleased Mods' started by greyTiger, Mar 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. greyTiger

greyTiger Chieftain

Coming soon to a Civilization near you. Golden Ages.
    Overview
    I missed the concept of Golden Ages from previous Civilization games, and thought that they could fit quite well with Civilization 6 and the expanded government policies mechanism. Each turn a percentage of your Culture is converted into Golden Age points which are displayed in the World Tracker panel. When you reach the required points your Golden Age begins.

The yellow bar is filled as you reach the target for the next Golden Age.

When you start a Golden Age a new target is selected and your progress points are reset. The number of turns remaining in the current Golden Age is displayed in the panel, along with the bonuses that are active for the Golden Age.

By default 30% of Culture is converted to Golden Age points each turn, with Golden Ages lasting 10 turns.
    The bonuses provided are +50% Production and +50% Science in each city. These can be improved through new policies for Golden Ages.

Policies
    CULTURAL ELEVATION: Increases the amount of Culture converted to Golden Age points each turn.
    SCIENTIFIC AGE: Increases the bonus Science during the Golden Age by 50%.
    PRODUCTION BOOM: Increases the bonus Production during the Golden Age by 50%.
    GOLDEN ERA: Increases the duration of Golden Ages by 50%.
    RECORD PROFITS: Increases the bonus Gold during the Golden Age by 100%.

I am currently in the process of testing out the mod and hope to have the first version available for release by the 20th of this month. If you have any ideas or feedback on what I have posted please post them here :)

2. NameArleadyUsed

NameArleadyUsed Chieftain

IDEA: Maybe also raw Great Prophet points could be converted to GA pool every turn. This would make them useful after Great Prophet is claimed. And sense. This would make sense. Or even better: when all religions are founded (or after renaissance era starts) new type of a great person appears in place of Great Prophet - Great Enetertainer which would have ability to gain poinsts/start/extend/etc. GA.
    Anyway I feel that connection betwen some GP (mainly prophets and artists) and GA is reasonable. As it was in CivV.

FEEDBACK: I think that GA cards should be only wildcards. GAs are too... exceptional to fit into responsibilities of my Economic Department.

3. View619

View619 Chieftain

Agreed that a new type of great person should trigger golden ages. The problem with tying it to culture is that civilizations with high culture output will be able to snow ball without counter play from opponents.

Making a new great person trigger them would be a simple way of resolving those issues. Also, it would be a way to make GP points useful after the last religion is selected.

Either that or tie golden age points to existing great wma, which would make them more desirable as well. Ideally, a retire action for great wma would add to the golden age counter, allowing players to choose between culture and tourism from great works or work towards a golden age by retirement. And they would be useful to all victory conditions.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    1SDAN likes this.
  4. Alucard648

Alucard648 Chieftain

I think, Golden Age points should be generated via excess amenities, not culture. Also policy cards for Faith and Culture golden age bonus also could be helpful. And I think, +50%/100% GA production bonus should be cut in half.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    1SDAN, Auda and View619 like this.
  5. View619

View619 Chieftain

Will the Golden Age tab be included in the World Tracker menu? So it can be hidden if desired?

6. Magil

Magil Monarch

I really like Golden Ages as a concept, but, well, I hope you can forgive some criticism: the implementation seems rather uninspired. The "accumulate X points for Y benefit" mechanic is rather prevalent in Civ and has become increasingly more-so with each iteration.

7. View619

View619 Chieftain

Suggestions?

8. Magil

Magil Monarch

They could be an alternate use for Great People, for example. Like Civ IV's Golden Ages.

A Wonder could trigger a Golden Age. Being the first to research a particular tech/civic could trigger a Golden Age. Maybe if you're the first Civ to earn a particular kind of Great Person? Just throwing out ideas here.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    1SDAN and View619 like this.
  9. View619

View619 Chieftain

I was thinking they could be an interesting alternative retire ability for cultural great people, but the benefits would probably need to be adjusted accordingly.

10. Magil

Magil Monarch

In Civ IV, the primary balancing factor was that each Golden Age would cost more and more Great People of different types. So the first one would cost 1 great person, the second would cost 2 different kinds, the third would be 3, etc.

That kind of thing might be a tricky thing to code, though.

1SDAN likes this.
  11. View619

View619 Chieftain

Maybe keep the progress meter and make the normal retire mechanic of writers, artists and musicians add points towards the next golden age?

Then increase the cost of each successive golden age. Writers, the earliest and most common cultural great people only have two charges, so would naturally produce fewer points than artists and musicians. Maybe make musicians add more than artists since they are available last.

Also, it wouldn't require any additional ai coding since Golden Ages would occur naturally.

12. greyTiger

greyTiger Chieftain

Thank you everyone for taking the time to provide ideas and feedback.

I have updated the mod to use the Great Person points for Prophets (so they have some use after religions are established), Writers, Artists and Musicians. A percentage of these points will be added each turn to the Golden Age progress.

I will add additional policy cards for Culture, Faith, Food and Tourism. I have also halved the bonuses during a Golden Age as suggested. Was a bit too powerful with the previous values.

Yes. I have added the ability to hide the Golden Ages panel like the others.

Your criticism is welcome. I did opt for a simple mechanism of accumulating points as was the case with Civ 5.

I like the idea of building a wonder or reaching a milestone tech\civic first having an effect on Golden Age progress, though I think that triggering a Golden Age for that milestone may be a bit overpowered. I'm thinking that it could provide a chunk toward your progress toward the next Golden Age. Expanding on the idea a little I may be able to tie the milestones to specific civs (Egypt gets the bonus for Pyramids, China gets the bonus for Gunpowder, etc), or possibly have it randomized each game with 2 or 3 techs and civics providing the bonus. I think some mechanic like this could be a nice addition in the future.

It would be an interesting option to have these Great People have an extra action instead of creating their Great Works. This is something that I would have to investigate to see if it is currently possible to add commands to Great People. Again something to add in the future perhaps.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    View619 and Auda like this.
  13. View619

View619 Chieftain

Sounds good! Looking forward to trying it.

14. NameArleadyUsed

NameArleadyUsed Chieftain

NEXT IDEA: Entertaiment complex specialization line (I mean buildings mutually exclusive with vanilla ones) with bonuses to Golden Ages. raw points and % in case of tier III building.

15. greyTiger

greyTiger Chieftain

16. ITcore

ITcore Chieftain

Will there be any conflicts with other mods that edit the WorldTracker.lua? Golden Ages and your Rankings Popup both edit that file as well as a mod I have installed to add in Quick Movement and Combat for AI only.

17. View619

View619 Chieftain

Ran a quick test and I don't think it plays well with other mods that edit the WorldTracker.lua.

If I disabled that line of the modinfo file, would it be possible to track the Golden Age progress on another part of the UI?

18. greyTiger

greyTiger Chieftain

Sorry for the slow response.

Yes. This will conflict with any mod that changes WorldTracker.lua. Though my Rankings popup is not affected as it does not change that file. The rankings popup is all contained in a new UI item 'InGameCivAndCityRankings.lua' that is not part of the base game.

Hmm. Not sure what would be the best spot. I will be trying to add the panel without changing the WorldTracker.lua directly for the next release. Hopefully I can figure that out. Only thing I know I would lose would be the ability to hide the Golden Age panel as I don't see how I could hook into the menu.

19. ITcore

ITcore Chieftain

Here is the lines of code that are in the Quick Combat for AI that is different than the base game WorldTracker:

Code:
    function QuickMoveTest(playerID)
        print("------------------------------------fastmovetest-------------------------------------------");
        print("player", playerID)
        if (not Players[playerID]:IsHuman()) then
            UserConfiguration.SetValue("QuickMovement", true);
            UserConfiguration.SetValue("QuickCombat", true);
            print("------------------------------------nothuman-------------------------------------------");
        else
        print("-----------------------------------move1,combat1", g_quickMove, g_quickCombat);
            if g_quickMove == 0 then
                UserConfiguration.SetValue("QuickMovement", false);
            else
                UserConfiguration.SetValue("QuickMovement", true);
            end
            if g_quickCombat == 0 then
                UserConfiguration.SetValue("QuickCombat", false);
            else
                UserConfiguration.SetValue("QuickCombat", true);
            end
            print("------------------------------------human-------------------------------------------");
        end
    end

Events.PlayerTurnActivated.Add( QuickMoveTest );
    Events.PlayerTurnDeactivated.Add( OptionCheck );

If I put this code into the WorldTracker LUA in the GoldenAges mod, it gives me the multiplayer chat window in a singleplayer game and the options still don't appear.

20. antiorb

antiorb Chieftain

Would it be possible to pull golden age points from multiple sources: gpt, culture, science, and maybe production, or points per standing military unit. that way even civs that don't focus on culture could benefit from them. Just pulling the points from all great person types would essentially be the same thing, i suppose.