Civic Poll: Slavery

Should we switch to Slavery during the next Game Session?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Falcon02

General
Should we switch to Slavery during the next game session?

Yes
No
Abstain
None of the Above
Just show me the results

Original Discussion Thread
Civic Discussion: Slavery

I voted yes. The discussion has shown it to be less urgent than I thought, but noobs like me tend to get in difficult situations where an immediate whip (not a turn or two later) saves the day. I won't be upset if it goes the other way due to the wealth of experienced players leading us into battle. ;-)

I voted no as I never in my single player games find a serious need for slavery, I don't belive that we have food rich cities that would justify the sacrafice of population, and I would rather not use the turn of anarchy.

I'm voting None of the Above because I'd like to see another choice.

I don't see much immediate benefit to switching to slavery immediately, so I'm not in favor of doing it during this turnchat. However, if during the turnchat something happens - like another Civ sends a large stack our way - then I'd like the Designated Player to have the authority to decide to implement Slavery if he thought circumstances warranted it.

Of course the DP could always just halt the chat so we could discuss it. :lol:

Anyway, I think the third option should have been included in the poll.

However, if during the turnchat something happens - like another Civ sends a large stack our way...

Of course the DP could always just halt the chat so we could discuss it.
emphasis added

Honestly, that's how I think any good DP should respond to such a situation. If something occurs with drastically alters our situation, that is call to return it to the forums for further discussion so that the public can reevaluate our situation.

This is supposed to be a forum game after all.

However, if during the turnchat something happens - like another Civ sends a large stack our way - then I'd like the Designated Player to have the authority to decide to implement Slavery if he thought circumstances warranted it.

Of course the DP could always just halt the chat so we could discuss it. :lol:

The DP should NOT have the power to decide what to do in such circumstances. He should use his discretion WELL and halt the chat to consult the citizens.

For the DP not to have a power suggests a list of things that would require a stoppage of play. I wonder how easy it would be to make such a list.

It's nearly impossible to have an agreement on a list. That is why, as I have said before, the DP needs to use his discretion WELL.

For the DP not to have a power suggests a list of things that would require a stoppage of play. I wonder how easy it would be to make such a list.

Tried to write up a list early in the pre-game. Certain ones are fairly obvious, declaration of war, etc. but then there's stuff in the gray zone, where people don't quite agree what would "require" play stoppage. In fact at the time not everyone agreed that War was valid reason to end play.

Eventually the list just went out the window with the assumption
A.) Each DP is accountable to the people in the end, so if they make a decision to continue when they should have taken it to the forums, the citizens can not reelect them.
B.) If a stopping criteria is important enough (ie. War) that office's Leader/Advisor can include it in their instructions for every play session, ie. "Stop play if war is declared on us"

EDIT: just an FYI: the people who felt that War wasn't a valid reason to end play were also pushing continuous play (playing 2 turns every day) at the time, so only 1-2 turns could be played after the declaration of war, so the thought was there was really nothing that required ending the play. Even if anything major happened, it's effects wouldn't be too major for only a maximum of 2 turns.

I am pleased to see that the Citizens of Yasutan have decided that Slavery is not an acceptable choice for our nation. While this decision is limited in scope, I hope to see that reluctance to force others into a despicable state continue, and for our nation to show all people the respect we would hope they show us!

-- Ravensfire

I am pleased to see that the Citizens of Yasutan have decided that Slavery is not an acceptable choice for our nation. While this decision is limited in scope, I hope to see that reluctance to force others into a despicable state continue, and for our nation to show all people the respect we would hope they show us!

-- Ravensfire
Amen :goodjob:.

Well said ravensfire :)

Top Bottom