1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civil Defense - worth the build?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Captain Corky, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Captain Corky

Captain Corky Chieftain

It seems like the bonus would make it worthwhile, but I never really hear people mention it. I usually build it if there is a down time, or if I'm preparing for a tough war.

What do you think?

2. adog

adog Prince

I don't build them, but I'm usually attacking their cities and not vice versa.

3. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

I would only use it on a chokepoint city. And then, only if that city is about to be attacked.

But like adog says, you should be attacking, not defending.

4. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Generally, no.

Attacking is better, and the only cities that can build it quickly don't need it. Much like SAM Sites.

5. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I build them cause I can.

6. Turner

I used to play like that. :) Not anymore, tho.

But I still build a lot of buildings simply because I feel like it.

7. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I only do that with some of the Late Industrial buildings, cheap ones like Civil Defense and SAM. By then I'm already in the the sort of position i want to be so I can waste shields on crap like that.:lol:

8. Turner

Yeah, me too. :thumbsup:

9. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Civil Defense? Never. I actually sell them in scenarios like WWII in the Pacific.

10. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

I'm always on the offensive, so I never worry about them.

11. Yosemite

Yosemite Yer Brain on Sean Connery

There are times that they can be worth it. If you've had war declared on you and there's a large expeditionary force headed for a city that's not as well defended as it could be, it's not a bad idea to rush a civil defense. Then once you've had time to mobilize and take the war to their territory, sell it so that you're not wasting money on maintenance, and you get some shields from the deal.

They're never worth it in non-border cities, and only rarely are they worth it in border cities.

12. Captain Corky

Captain Corky Chieftain

I'm finding that to be the case. I declared war on Spain (a friend of my up until then) and rushed them with tanks. They were still stuck on Infantry, so I rolled right over them. Focusing the building away from things like airports (except for a few to help transportation) and civil defense gives a lot more resources for keeping the stream of Modern Armor coming. :evil:

I do have to say, Fighter Jets suck for bombing. Do they ever actually have successful runs? I just use them to control the sky.

13. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

They are meant for controlling the skies. I only use bombers to bomb, and fighters to recon and for A.S.

14. Yosemite

Yosemite Yer Brain on Sean Connery

I think that fighters are harder to shoot down, so their bombing runs are useful if trying to knock out enemy planes in their city. If you're worried about losing bombers to enemy fighers and you know where the enemy fighters are stationed, you can bomb that city with your fighters (they do better against air units than ground units), then once it's safe, send in your bombers.

15. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

I sometimes build them in 1 or 2 cities on the border or chockepoints.