civil disorder why?

It's because you play on Emperor. At this difficulty level the third citizen in a city is born unhappy and you need a unit, temple or luxuries to make him content.

Reactions: GPR
It's because you play on Emperor. At this difficulty level the third citizen in a city is born unhappy and you need a unit, temple or luxuries to make him content.

Ahh, I see. And when i will in Republic i need temple or luxuries, because unit doesent work in republic am i right?

Only third born unhappy, or fifth for example too?

Yes, under republic/democracy you need happiness buildings or luxuries. Not just the third citizen is born unhappy. EVERY citizen after the second one is born unhappy in Emperor difficulty. When you have more than a certain amount of cities, some cities will also start getting unhappy people when they grow to size 2. If you have even more cities, even the first citizens in some of them will be born unhappy.

Yes, under republic/democracy you need happiness buildings or luxuries. Not just the third citizen is born unhappy. EVERY citizen after the second one is born unhappy in Emperor difficulty. When you have more than a certain amount of cities, some cities will also start getting unhappy people when they grow to size 2. If you have even more cities, even the first citizens in some of them will be born unhappy.

Its sound so hard be in monarchy and imposibble be in republic :D

It's actually not that hard. With a temple and a marketplace, and 20% luxury, you can easily grow to size 7-8 in a Republic even with no trade routes. Add a few routes and a bank, and you won't need a colosseum or cathedral until you reach the double digits.

It's actually not that hard. With a temple and a marketplace, and 20% luxury, you can easily grow to size 7-8 in a Republic even with no trade routes. Add a few routes and a bank, and you won't need a colosseum or cathedral until you reach the double digits.

Can you tell me some advice?

Attachments

• CIVIL3.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 147
  • CIVIL3.MAP
    13.3 KB · Views: 143
I already gave you some advice, but here's some more:
If you are going to build big cities, make sure you develop the land with roads so you can get more trade. Make trade routes with AI cities, build markets, libraries, banks and universities in your bigger cities that have a lot of trade. Having 10 citizens that don't generate any money or science because they work squares with no roads, and at the same time paying for cathedrals to keep them happy is a bad move. That's why your game isn't going anywhere.
Having a big population alone doesn't do you any good. You have to make sure that your citizens are productive and efficient. If you are going to run a republican government (or even a monarchy) you have to make sure that:
A) all of your your cities make enough shields to support the units they need and they can still build things;
B) your cities (as a whole) make enough trade so that you can keep up with the AI in science and at the same time make enough money to buy buildings and units if you don't produce a lot of shields.
So, it's better to build a temple, a marketplace and a bank and have a 20% luxury rate, instead of building a temple and cathedral. The market and bank will pay for themselves (and for the temple), because they generate more cash. Markets and banks will also increase the effect of luxuries. To build market+bank you need 200 shields, I think. A cathedral costs 160 shields and then you pay cash for it every turn. It does nothing but make 4 people happy. Do the math. Cathedrals should be built later, when you want to grow to maximum size (20+). Cities up to 15 don't really need them, at least the way I play.

Reactions: GPR
Can you tell me some advice?

screenshot-2018-12-02_1358.27.png

There seems to be a lot of under-utilized land in that starting peninsula. For republican gov't, I count about 90 food from flatlands and 30 from hills/water/desert (ignoring the south fish that would require a bad site; this is enough to have 4 size-10 cities running pretty easily— as in, maybe 1500 years before the game date.

You need lots more settlers improving land. Rather than build the 4 cathedrals I would have inclined to build 16 settlers and chariots, which would allow founding more and tighter cities and improving the land and building roads between them for easy defense. Roads between cities are essential, and if you had founded a city on the river it would have reduced the urgency of Bridge Building, which you haven't gotten yet anyway but w/e.

Settlers cost 1 pop and have food upkeep, but this is a blessing in disguise. It prevents the city from indulging in the useless task of creating unhappy pops, especially so on Emperor. Mize is right, temple and marketplace first. Also if you go through the trouble of techning democracy there was no huge need for granaries since you can populate faster with WLTK.

As for units you are probably better off using 1 or 2 sentried chariots rather than phalanxes. You are no longer in despotism so the garrison is not reducing unrest anymore. And if you do the math attacking with chariots is a superior defense.

For Emperor play I advice to focuse on these wonders to make people more content:

J.S.Bach's Cathedral - it counts for ever no end by any development
Women's Suffrage - very usefull for Republic or Democracy
Michelangelo's Chapel - increase Cathedral power to content

Also when I play Emperor I avoid development of Communism at all because it decrease Cathedrals power. (from 4 content people it decreases to 3). If you have Michelangelo Chapel it from 6 content decreases to 4.

Also when I play Emperor I avoid development of Communism at all because it decrease Cathedrals power. (from 4 content people it decreases to 3). If you have Michelangelo Chapel it from 6 content decreases to 4.

Not true. Cathedrals make 4 people content, Michelangelo's Chapel increases their power by 50% so they make 6 people content. Researching Communism makes the Chapel obsolete and Cathedrals revert back to making 4 people content.

Somebody wrote that after you have a certain number of cities every citizen after first will be unhappy. But I have never actually experienced that. I build cities infinitely but don't have any problems.

Not true. Cathedrals make 4 people content, Michelangelo's Chapel increases their power by 50% so they make 6 people content. Researching Communism makes the Chapel obsolete and Cathedrals revert back to making 4 people content.

You are right, what I have written is in CIV 2.

Because I play CIV 1 now.

It is not fully incorrect because Chapel makes 6 and with Communism it comes back to 4.

Somebody wrote that after you have a certain number of cities every citizen after first will be unhappy. But I have never actually experienced that. I build cities infinitely but don't have any problems.

The extra unhappiness for exceeding a certain number of cities was not included in the release version, but introduced in a later patch (version 3). In those later versions, cities built past a certain limit (for example 6 on Emperor level under Despotism) create extra unhappiness. The exact rules are vague, but by the time you have twice the limit, in every city one citizen who used to be content will be unhappy (prior to any other modification), by the time you have three times the limit, two citizens will be unhappy, etc. If there are no content citizens left to be turned unhappy (for example on Emperor after building cities beyond three times the limit), unhappy citizens will turn very unhappy and displayed in red rather than black on the city screen.

The extra unhappiness for exceeding a certain number of cities was not included in the release version, but introduced in a later patch (version 3). In those later versions, cities built past a certain limit (for example 6 on Emperor level under Despotism) create extra unhappiness. The exact rules are vague, but by the time you have twice the limit, in every city one citizen who used to be content will be unhappy (prior to any other modification), by the time you have three times the limit, two citizens will be unhappy, etc. If there are no content citizens left to be turned unhappy (for example on Emperor after building cities beyond three times the limit), unhappy citizens will turn very unhappy and displayed in red rather than black on the city screen.
I have version 475.01 and I have no extra unhappiness
EDIT: Also I have never seen very unhappy citizens

I suspected you had the original version. I would need to find a way to install it again from my floppy disks if I wanted to get back to it. :)

I have version 475.01 and I have no extra unhappiness
EDIT: Also I have never seen very unhappy citizens
I think 474.x is floppy, and 475.x is CD. 475.01 would be the original version but for CD.

Here is a look at redshirts on 474.04.

screenshot-2019-03-09_1622.15.png

My best-guess explanation of this screenshot is based on very old posts by Valen and Urtica Diotica.

A base integer is derived from difficulty setting:
Chieftain 14
Warlord 12
Prince 10
King 8
Emperor 6

A multiplier from Government:
An/Des ×1
Mon/Com ×1.5
Rep/Dem ×2

The result is the number of cities that can be in the empire before you begin to get additional blackshirts. On Emp+Dem (pictured), this is 12. When a 13th city is founded, apparently a new blackshirt appears in just the 6th city on the roster, and as well as in the other increments of 12 from the 6th city, once those cities are built. And when the 14th city is founded, a blackshirt is then applied to the 7th city. This keeps going and wraps around. Every new city is basically adding a new blackshirt to every twelfth city.

When you run out of born-contents, it doesn't stop; instead the redshirts appear. A city with 0 born-contents has all blackshirts, but a city with a negative born-content has a redshirt in there as well.

Nottingham (pictured) got 2 blackshirts from somewhere between the 13th and 25th city, and the likewise 37th. It then got redshirts from the 49th, 61st, 73rd, 85th, 97th, and 109th cities on the roster, or something like that.

Redshirts have some aberrant behavior that can be advantageous. It should cost 4 diamonds to make it content or 6 to make it happy, but a deduction from the city screen suggests that it only costs 2 diamonds to turn a redshirt into a happy. The city produces 15 diamonds: evidently 12 are used to turn 6 redshirts happy, and the last 2 are used to turn 1 blackshirt into a content. On the other hand redshirts still count double when the temple, cathedral, colosseum, and Bach are used to pacify them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom