1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

civil disorder why?

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by czechfant, Nov 27, 2018.

1. czechfant

czechfant Chieftain

Why I have civil disorder here?
    I play emperor level and have 0% luxury

https://ctrlv.cz/EOk5

I dont understand this

2. Mize

Mize Chieftain

It's because you play on Emperor. At this difficulty level the third citizen in a city is born unhappy and you need a unit, temple or luxuries to make him content.

3. czechfant

czechfant Chieftain

Ahh, I see. And when i will in Republic i need temple or luxuries, because unit doesent work in republic am i right?

Only third born unhappy, or fifth for example too?

4. Mize

Mize Chieftain

Yes, under republic/democracy you need happiness buildings or luxuries. Not just the third citizen is born unhappy. EVERY citizen after the second one is born unhappy in Emperor difficulty. When you have more than a certain amount of cities, some cities will also start getting unhappy people when they grow to size 2. If you have even more cities, even the first citizens in some of them will be born unhappy.

5. czechfant

czechfant Chieftain

Its sound so hard be in monarchy and imposibble be in republic :D

6. Mize

Mize Chieftain

It's actually not that hard. With a temple and a marketplace, and 20% luxury, you can easily grow to size 7-8 in a Republic even with no trade routes. Add a few routes and a bank, and you won't need a colosseum or cathedral until you reach the double digits.

7. czechfant

czechfant Chieftain

Can you tell me some advice?

Attached Files:

8. Mize

Mize Chieftain

I already gave you some advice, but here's some more:
    If you are going to build big cities, make sure you develop the land with roads so you can get more trade. Make trade routes with AI cities, build markets, libraries, banks and universities in your bigger cities that have a lot of trade. Having 10 citizens that don't generate any money or science because they work squares with no roads, and at the same time paying for cathedrals to keep them happy is a bad move. That's why your game isn't going anywhere.
    Having a big population alone doesn't do you any good. You have to make sure that your citizens are productive and efficient. If you are going to run a republican government (or even a monarchy) you have to make sure that:
    A) all of your your cities make enough shields to support the units they need and they can still build things;
    B) your cities (as a whole) make enough trade so that you can keep up with the AI in science and at the same time make enough money to buy buildings and units if you don't produce a lot of shields.
    So, it's better to build a temple, a marketplace and a bank and have a 20% luxury rate, instead of building a temple and cathedral. The market and bank will pay for themselves (and for the temple), because they generate more cash. Markets and banks will also increase the effect of luxuries. To build market+bank you need 200 shields, I think. A cathedral costs 160 shields and then you pay cash for it every turn. It does nothing but make 4 people happy. Do the math. Cathedrals should be built later, when you want to grow to maximum size (20+). Cities up to 15 don't really need them, at least the way I play.

9. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Chieftain

screenshot-2018-12-02_1358.27.png

There seems to be a lot of under-utilized land in that starting peninsula. For republican gov't, I count about 90 food from flatlands and 30 from hills/water/desert (ignoring the south fish that would require a bad site; this is enough to have 4 size-10 cities running pretty easily— as in, maybe 1500 years before the game date.

You need lots more settlers improving land. Rather than build the 4 cathedrals I would have inclined to build 16 settlers and chariots, which would allow founding more and tighter cities and improving the land and building roads between them for easy defense. Roads between cities are essential, and if you had founded a city on the river it would have reduced the urgency of Bridge Building, which you haven't gotten yet anyway but w/e.

Settlers cost 1 pop and have food upkeep, but this is a blessing in disguise. It prevents the city from indulging in the useless task of creating unhappy pops, especially so on Emperor. Mize is right, temple and marketplace first. Also if you go through the trouble of techning democracy there was no huge need for granaries since you can populate faster with WLTK.

As for units you are probably better off using 1 or 2 sentried chariots rather than phalanxes. You are no longer in despotism so the garrison is not reducing unrest anymore. And if you do the math attacking with chariots is a superior defense.