civil disorder why?

Redshirts have some aberrant behavior that can be advantageous. It should cost 4 diamonds to make it content or 6 to make it happy, but a deduction from the city screen suggests that it only costs 2 diamonds to turn a redshirt into a happy. The city produces 15 diamonds: evidently 12 are used to turn 6 redshirts happy, and the last 2 are used to turn 1 blackshirt into a content. On the other hand redshirts still count double when the temple, cathedral, colosseum, and Bach are used to pacify them.

On the other hand, city can spend only city_size*2 luxuries max (any additional lux's totally useless), so this behavior is not too bad. If it costs 6 diamonds to make them happy it would be impossible to start WLTPDay if you have too many cities. So I don't even know if this is a bug or intended behavior. And dunno should I reproduce it or not.

On the other hand, city can spend only city_size*2 luxuries max (any additional lux's totally useless), so this behavior is not too bad. If it costs 6 diamonds to make them happy it would be impossible to start WLTPDay if you have too many cities. So I don't even know if this is a bug or intended behavior. And dunno should I reproduce it or not.
It is definitely a bug. Emperor was thought to be almost unwinnable; certainly having dozens of cities and high tech was considered out-of-reach. The number-of-cities unrest was introduced in "finalized" patch disks mailed-out to customers well after release. It was tested for crashes sure, but i doubt it was playtested under conditions extreme enough to notice that redshirts were unexpectedly easy to pacify.

It is definitely a bug. Emperor was thought to be almost unwinnable; certainly having dozens of cities and high tech was considered out-of-reach. The number-of-cities unrest was introduced in "finalized" patch disks mailed-out to customers well after release. It was tested for crashes sure, but i doubt it was playtested under conditions extreme enough to notice that redshirts were unexpectedly easy to pacify.
Weren't redshirts introduced after ver 3? or is that you were referring to patch disks?

@Tancretus
I do not know when redshirts came in... all I know is that number-of-cities unrest was not in the original shipped version. Could be they were implemented along with that mechanic since it is the only context in which you are likely to see them.

I have version 475.01 and I have no extra unhappiness
EDIT: Also I have never seen very unhappy citizens
How check what version I have? Where i may check it?

When a 13th city is founded, apparently a new blackshirt appears in just the 6th city on the roster, and as well as in the other increments of 12 from the 6th city, once those cities are built. And when the 14th city is founded, a blackshirt is then applied to the 7th city. This keeps going and wraps around. Every new city is basically adding a new blackshirt to every twelfth city.

but I confirm. In Civilization 1 (DOS version) first Civil Disorder appeared when I have about 12 cities (in cities with 2 people)
and after found/build couple more cities i have civil disorder even in citles with one people:

civil1 emperor.png

This play will be hardcore for me <devil>

Last edited:
When you first start the game and use the numeric keys to choose graphics/sound settings, look at the top of the blue box where it says 'CIVILIZATION (TM) - version', and then a bunch of numbers.

If it's 474.01 (or 475.01, it's the 01 that's important), then it's the easier happiness model with no red shirts.

If it's 474.03 or 474.05, then it's the harder happiness model with the red shirts. The patch .03 introduced that feature and patch 0.5 kept it.

Reactions: GPR
I have 474.04 so none of the above
But I assume that my version is in this 2 option after 03 patch.

Question: What does save store?
Save from the later version, load on the earlier version will work?
and then there will be no red shirts?

I have to look for some earlier dos version
And another question comes to my mind: Save file can be opened and the difficulty level can be changed to a lower one? And if so, how will the game behave then? Will be work?

ok. I have some answers
Save on civilization1 is compatible with versions 474.04 and 475.01
This is the same save on above versions of civilization:

ver 01:

c1.jpg

and 04 version:

c4.jpg

so if you want harder game you play in 03-05 but if you tired you at any time can turn save on version 01.
Black civil is when i have in city one military unit. Everwhere else is red. 40 cities. In ver04 is 98% unhappy but in 01 is 100% content

EDIT: I checked ad civ version 02 dont have unhappy people

Last edited:
You can definitely manage it if you know it's coming, I've always prefered less cities because I get tired of micro managing huge empires, but lots of games shared on this forum have loads of cities and they can't all be playing v1!

Must have been playing v01 all my youth because I never saw any redhisrts and had tons of games with more than 40 cities...

I'm curious whether this really limits the creation of large empires, and also whether AI Civs have redhisrts too ?
Cityspam is not-at-all unfeasible, and one of the reasons you can still do it in version 04/05 might relate to a bug I mentioned on the first page... it only costs 2 luxury diamonds to turn a redshirt directly into a happy. The city pictured there in a 100+ city empire produced a set of 15 diamonds (just please take my word for that); 12 diamonds took care of all 6 redshirts, who became happies, and of the remaining 3 diamonds, 2 converted 1 blackshirt into a content.

The order of operations is also kind of favorable. Luxury spending is factored in before unrest-quelling buildings, so the redshirts can all get killed off before the buildings take effect. A Temple can normally pacify 2 blackshirts, but only 1 redshirt.

View attachment 520109

I have no idea what the AI's unrest scheme is, though.

Reactions: GPR
Top Bottom