Civil Wars

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Jakerg23, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jakerg23

Jakerg23 Chieftain

Thinking back to Civilization II, you could focus your attack on the other civ's capital, and if you took it, there was a chance you would start a civil war in the country. I'm not sure if there's a chance of doing this in cIV, but I haven't seen it. In any case, this was one of the things I looked forward to in Civ II (of course Civ II was my personal favorite). Is there anyway to mod IV to do the civil war split? Or will we just have to wait for an expansion/Civ 5?

2. Acceptable_Loss

Acceptable_Loss Chieftain

If someone could find a good fun way to implement civil wars into civ it would be great, but think of how hard that will be. What at all is fun about having your empire split in half?

3. RoboPig

RoboPig Deity

you can retake it and they would be weak. so it's like a training ession to get troop upgrades without taking the conflict to the international level. ofcourse there should be a way of turning civil war off.

4. Atlantean

Atlantean Chieftain

This my be a cheap and cheesey way to get somewhat of a Civil War, though it could take awhile and the end result my not be what you expect.

I like playing with the World Builder. What if you use the World Builder to turn half a Civ into a barbarian state. You could stock it with what ever units had been there before except you could change their allegience to the barbarian state. Of course this new barbarian state would immediately start attacking everything in sight, but you would in effect have a seperate rogue regime which used to be part of a Civ. Not really a "Civil War" but with a little imagination it could be.

5. nekom

nekom Warlord

That sounds like a nifty idea. Even on a smaller scale, if say an unhappy city would flip to the barbarians.

6. Iron Beagle

Iron Beagle Designated Marksman

Personally, I would enjoy smashing traitorous rebel scum.

And it would make it easier for smaller countries to catch up to the big empires later in the game.

7. aaronflavor

aaronflavor Warlord

It seems like there should be some penalty to the enemy for loosing their capital city. At present, the capital city seems to have very little significance at all, other than that it is usually fairly large.

8. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

This happened in Civ2?! Why don't I remember this? I mean, it was a while ago and all, but I spend some serious time with that game...

9. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

I think its should flip to a civilisation thats created instantly, say you take a British city on for example , half of all British cities should flip to a civ that doesnt exist yet (Americans for example).

Maybe levels of civil war should be in, if civil war is ever to be implemented:
    Level 1 - Sparking - lots of unhappiness at differint cities at the same moment
    Level 2 - Rebellion - resistence starts, infantry is weakened 50% if in these cities.
    Level 3 - Armed Conflict within its own Nation, a civil war has broken out! This consists of 3 types
    -Seperatist Civil War - I.e. Basque's, Finland from Russia (This causes a new civ to be created when its starts)
    -Religious driven Seperatist civil war - I.e. Israel vs. Arabs, Chechnya vs. Russia (Same effect, but it they only attack cities with their state-religion present to liberate it)
    -Nationalist Civil War- Germans in Elzas lorraine vs. France - Irish in North Ireland vs British

10. Invisible Rhino

Invisible Rhino Prince

Off topic...but in Civ 1 if you just kept hititng space and hung out with nothing but a settler it was almost assured someone would take someone else's capital, and the other faction would be YOUR civilization, giving you a nice prebuilt civ lol. :)

11. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

The lack of Civil wars is one of the reasons why your civ is so stable. In CIv the board game, theres a calamity called civil war, where a frection of your civ switches side and fight you. Implementing civil wars based on different populations, happiness, culture etc could indeed be very interesting as long as it makes the game better and more fun. Realism is not the most important facotr of civ after all.
    Perhaps a mod with civil wars could be implemented?