(Civil Wonders) Prague Castle, Burj al Arab etc.

Thank you. I'm still working on the second version, which I called ancient_finland.

@tantanmen - I was thinking about the pen´s expression in download area. I added a version without mipmaps to the download. When I get back from work, hopefully I'll be able to update it. :)

Oh, yeah. A Slavic village is a good idea. I think I'll try some Slavic mutation, but I'm very busy at the moment and I don't get to the computer very often. I also have to finish the other Nordic variant.

Do what you have to do, take care of yourself. I'm glad you like the idea. I saw some Slavic buildings for a Slavic ancient religion someone made(was it you?) and it got me thinking. The other city would be the Finnish one you mentioned?

I only saw something for the Hungarian mod and I didn't do it. Finland is just a working title. If you have any idea, feel free to send a picture.

Looks good. If you’re still being inspired by Celtic construction, would you consider a crannog (literally, young tree) building? Crannogs are artificial islands built on lakes, surrounded by a palisade, on which a village would be established. Typically, there’s be hidden stones under the water to allow those in the know to walk out or else the crannog would only be accessible by boat.
As a building in Civ, it would have to be a Water building. If using it, I’d use python/dll to limit its availability to cities on a lake. It would be a defensive step up from a simple palisade.

http://www.loughgaralakesandlegends...-of-what-a-crannog-would-have-looked-like.jpg

Now I wasn't expecting this Hrochland thankyou so much man! Its interesting as a building because some believe that is what Stonehenge once looked like, that it was an entire structure and what we see now are the remains that stood the test of time.

Fyi thought I'd share this, playing as the Galicians in my mod, a Celtic civ/kingdom in what is now Spain, but were their own thing in ancient times and in medieval times as a separate kingdom from spain. Full city and with the new celtic palace!

CelticPreview.jpg

Curious what was updated. But thankyou!

You see my screenshot? Your set looks pretty darn awesome Hrochland!

FYI about Slavic set the pictures I post are for reference, I'm not asking for you to make the buildings, anything I post for reference isn't a request unless I say otherwise. I posted them to give you ideas on a slavic set.

I know your from Czech, who from what I read are a slavic people. In Civ Slavs are almost completely represented by Russia, but there are a lot of others, its sort of like that horrid "Native American Empire" from vanilla BTS. I imagine you would have some idea on what your looking for when designing something like this.

I released the cityset with texture without mipmaps. The houses, especially their roofs, had unwanted effects when zoomed in.
Mipmaps solves these problems.

Thank you for the images. I'm having a period again where I'm not catching up at all, but it will eventually make it to the Slavic cityset. These days I am debugging the cityset finlandia as promised.

Slavic, or actually a more generic wooden European cityset I'll try my hand at converting from Humankind. They have something that might fit the role and work well for ancient Slavs, Germanics and Scandinavians at the very least.

From what I gathered while digging around, the assets by themselves would not be very helpful to most modders; the textures are packed in a very specific way - for instance, ~10 wonders in one enormous texture file. I already made a first cityset to test the waters - and I had to repack the UV or else I'd end up with a texture ~8x bigger than what was really needed. Attaching it here, though I doubt it will be useful to anyone - it's basically a close relative to vanilla Ren Civ 4 cityset; made it simply to appraise the detail level of models and textures one can work with. Also attached is the original texture file, simply to demonstrate the amount of re-packing needed; it is easy to see that at least half of those textures belong to other structures.

So while the assets are actually really easy to extract (it's a Unity game, so extractors/converters of all kinds are readily available) and often have Civ-appropriate polycounts, making anything useful for Civ 4 out of them requires lots of additional effort.

Attachments

• herrerian.7z
    187 KB · Views: 17
  • BUI_Era4_CultureHerrerian_City_Set_01_AlbedoTransparency.7z
    4.8 MB · Views: 16
A good look at European wooden cityset showed that it actually has enough buildings for two different sets; here's the first of those, that to me looks like a good stand-in for tribal Iron Age Europe. The second one will be specifically Viking. Neither will really work for Slavs (unless the Slavs we're talking about are proto-Slavs from V-VIII centuries). OTOH, I also found stuff that would work rather well for Renaissance-era Russia (post-Petrine) and Scandinavia, both of which are currently shoehorned into vanilla Mediterranean Renaissance style.

celtic-germanic.png

Sorry for hijacking your thread, hrochland! It's just I don't really want to upload stuff to the database (too lazy :mischief:), and someone might want the end result...

Attachments

• ironage.rar
    242.4 KB · Views: 30
Top Bottom