Civilisation Attributes open discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Steb

Steb King

Both American UUs, the Minuteman and the Pioneer, are mostly relevant in the early US game. This is fine, but the US became a world power only around 1900, and a superpower after WWII, and I feel like one of its UUs should reflect this. I really like the Pioneer, but the Minuteman isn't so interesting (and quickly gets obsolete). How about a global era replacement?

borhap88, 1SDAN and Crimean Lord like this.
  2. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

The idea is that the situation is most precarious for the US in its early years. Later in the game it can coast off the strength of its economic power alone.

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  3. EdmundIronside

EdmundIronside White Rabbit Object

All UHV goals to have an end date?
    I might be on my own on this one, but I would rather just be told I failed a goal, then spend hundreds of turns chasing after it. For example my Arab game lasted into the mid twentieth century as I continued to attempt to spread Islam to the desired percentage of the world!

4. Logoncal

Logoncal Prince

I'd say First and Second Reign

Crimean Lord, 1SDAN and Leoreth like this.
  5. Caesar Augustus

Caesar Augustus Prince

I definitely think that something that CONNECTS trade and religion is both appropriate and interesting for Indonesia. Maybe something like "Trade Routes spread religion to/from Indonesian cities (perhaps even allowing spread beyond a religion's normal areas)" and then a UB that gives extra trade routes for each religion in a city? If that building would be too powerful, the trade route could be for each religion beyond the first. This would give you both a way to get a new religion into the civ, AND a big benefit for successfully spreading that religion once it arrives.

Cosmos1985 likes this.
  6. Steb

Steb King

Sure, but you could say this of most civilizations, and most have UUs representing their heyday. Also, there's rarely a real independence war (maybe that will change with new Rise and Fall mechanics), so Minutemen are barely even used in the historically appropriate context. I have no strong feelings either way, but I wonder what American players think.

7. triplebassist

triplebassist Chieftain

I'd like to mention Egypt's UHV3. I agree that it's almost a given if UHV1 is met, but I actually don't think that's a bad thing, because the struggle at that point is survival. Having to fight off two sets of conquerors in a shirt period of time is a big challenge in itself, and I like that the UHV3 is more about that (without being explicitly a "survive" goal) than attempting to expand or accomplish much else during the onslaught.

8. Leoreth

Sure. As always a strong argument in favour of something is more compelling than a strong argument against something.

9. trevor

trevor Warlord

I'm fine with the current UUs as, for me, it's a touch of a struggle to come up with a better 'heyday' unit. Is it something from WW2? I wouldn't say that American troops or vehicles were unique in the way that the Zero or Panzers are representative of Germany & Japan's relative advantages. If it's something representing the post-war pax Americana (like a carrier with an extra slot/movement point or a longer-distance bomber) then are they really that useful with coming so late in the tech tree?

Steb likes this.
  10. Cacaso

Cacaso Chieftain

some UHV available on number of resources such as the second from Holland (7 spices) and the third from Indonesia (10 resource happiness), will have to be rebalanced, just in the islands of Indonesia I counted 6 spices so it would be very easy to complete with Holland.

11. DanLT3

DanLT3 Warlord

The Indonesia UHV is 10 different happiness resources. A very hard one but double. Don't see why that needs to be changed.

12. Leoreth

Are you talking about the new map?

1SDAN and Cacaso like this.
  13. Alexius08

Alexius08 Emperor

Can the deadline for England's first UHV goal be moved to the 1860s, just before the Canadian spawn? The current 1730 deadline is a holdover from the original UHVs, when America used to spawn around that year. Juggling both it and the third UHV goal of being first to eight techs in both the Renaissance and Industrial eras would be more manageable with the adjusted deadline, not to mention promoting the pursuit of more historically-accurate strategies, like holding off some of the expansion for the first UHV until a part of the third UHV has been secured (instead of aggressively expanding right away).

14. Cacaso

Cacaso Chieftain

Yes, the new map

15. Leoreth

I expect that many UHVs have to be adjusted to that. This thread isn't about that map though.

triplebassist and 1SDAN like this.
  16. Cacaso

Cacaso Chieftain

In the Core + historical area of indonesia there are the happiness resources: gold, gems, ivory, dye, spices, tea, pearls, silk and incense (9 different resources, only one is missing on the new map).
    Perhaps we could have something like UHV "The most diverse market" requiring the civ to have access to X resources (any type) to represent the diversity of products that were produced on those islands. (I suggest 20 or more, as they already have 18 different resources)

17. Cacaso

Cacaso Chieftain

oh, ok, I'm sorry.

Leoreth likes this.
  18. DanLT3

DanLT3 Warlord

I was not not talking about the new map.

19. EmperorNorton

EmperorNorton Chieftain

I think the HRE's first UHV should be changed to controlling the holy cities for Orthodoxy and Catholicism and the holy shrine for Protestantism, rather than all 3 holy shrines.

Requiring the holy shrine for Protestantism makes it more challenging as it requires you to embrace the reformation or snag a Great Prophet, but it's a reasonable challenge. However, requiring the player control the holy shrines for Orthodoxy and Catholicism instead of the holy cities seems like a bit of a pointless limitation. It doesn't change much of anything in the 600AD start as the cities all contain the shrines already, and it makes it so that victory from the 3000BC start requires incredible luck or playing from a previous civilization as the AI is not very good about building shrines and there is not enough time to generate Great Prophets and build them yourself.

20. Dominus the Mentat

Dominus the Mentat Warlord

Sometime ago I have suggested these new goals to the Indonesian UHV. Maybe they can help.