Civilization’s 30th Anniversary

darko82

Emperor
What can we expect?

According to pcgamesn: 2K will announce a “new franchise” this month, and it’s probably from the Civilization devs

If it's Civilization's 30th Anniversary, then I expect an Announcement regarding the Civilization Franchise, not a new one.
Perhaps the Images of Civ5 items (scout/wonders) that were posted by Civ's social media accounts, are a hint that we will get a CiV Wonders set for Civ6? along with a Scenario that encourages building those Wonders?

I'm not optimistic about that, but let's see what the September Wind will blow to us.

So far we have got a new Civ game every 5 or 6 years:

Civilization I: Sep. 1991
Civilization II: Jun. 1996
Civilization III: 31 Oct. 2001
Civilization IV: 25 Oct. 2005
Civilization V: 21 Sep. 2010
Civilization: Beyond the Earth: 24 Oct. 2014
Civilization VI: 21 Oct. 2016

Next Civ game should be coming quite soon.

Maybe they will annouce a spin-off similar to Beyond the Earth.

Last edited:
That's the X-COM team, so there is still some chance for anything in September.

“Civilization devs” as pcgamesn referred to them just means Firaxis. The new franchise is the Marvel game posted above.

“Civilization devs” as pcgamesn referred to them just means Firaxis. The new franchise is the Marvel game posted above.

Right, but it has nothing to do with the anniversary of Civilization. I will be disappointed if they don't even mention it. 30 years should mean something.

They might do some sort of minor freebee for the 30th anniversary (another scout cat?), boost interest before Christmas sales.

I wouldn't expect anything major for Civ until October 2022. Which might be Civ 7 at that point.

Happily playing Humankind while I wait... for the patch that fixes the last patch...

And yes, playing civ since those '91 days...

I expect a new scout skin..
Spoiler Civ3 pic :

Hey, that's Alpha! :D

Just patch. Patch a game to be playable. Then think about next iteration. I do not understand how peting dog makes game better.

I don't think they will release any more for Civ VI.

If you thing a game from 2016 is not playable, why do you think anyone will do anything about it now?

The only thing u should take, is just don't buy the next one, unless u want to wait another 5 years of post-release frustration.

I think the game is perfectly playable. I will probably not buy the next one. But just because I realized that I think Civ VI is just a horrible game I don't like playing, but that is just me.

So I just got Civ V in steam for 5 bucks to replace my CD version; uninstalled VI; accepted that I spent 130 dollars in something I will never enjoy; realized there is no reason to think Civ VII will be any different for me; and pressed play on my Civ V, knowing I will probably be old before I ever want to play a new civ again.

If you thing a game from 2016 is not playable, why do you think anyone will do anything about it now?

The only thing u should take, is just don't buy the next one, unless u want to wait another 5 years of post-release frustration.

I think the game is perfectly playable. I will probably not buy the next one. But just because I realized that I think Civ VI is just a horrible game I don't like playing, but that is just me.

So I just got Civ V in steam for 5 bucks to replace my CD version; uninstalled VI; accepted that I spent 130 dollars in something I will never enjoy; realized there is no reason to think Civ VII will be any different for me; and pressed play on my Civ V, knowing I will probably be old before I ever want to play a new civ again.
Why does this sound like the Summary of Civ VI? (Rhetorical question)

Joke aside, as you said, the Game is completely playable. Is it a Horrible Game? that's completely subjective. I mean, there are people who praise the Civ VI Cartoonish Style over Civ V's, but on the other hand there are people who just can't stand the cartoonish Design of Units and the Leaders.

Civ VI is actually a decent Game on its own, but compared to the previous Civ Games, it somehow feels like that it tryied to make use of its roots from the previous iterations, by grabbing and directing them in a direction that just isn't what many CivFanatics/CivVeterans imagined/anticipated the Franchise to go. which isn't necessarilly a bad thing.

The release of the Game was just solid. Many good Mechanics already, bringing back Governments, and the District Systeme was just the perfect thing that could have happened to the Game. Which just hooked Players for what's next. And here is where the Issues with Civ VI started.

Rise and Fall wasn't/isn't a great as an Expansion DLC. It could have been way better. I think it would have been much better if the Devs just released the Leaders as DLC packs (like with NFP but without the modes), Natural/World Wonders included, but included the Mechanics and the other stuff from RnF in Gathering Storm (which they did anyway). It would have gived them more time to flesh out the RnF Mechanics more, and also the opportunity to interconnect the mechanisms of the two XPs.

So GS/RnF DLC could have easily been the first Expansion DLC. And a good One.

But that wouldn't be enough. It isn't, even now that we got NFP. IMHO, what is really needed for the Game to be marked (by the Players) as "Complete", is a "Brave New World" kind of Expansion, that polishes the Game (especially RnF and GS mechanics), balanaces many aspects of it, and also introduces 2/3 new mechanics that mostly tackle the issue of Late Game.

All that is from the perspective of a Player. From the Studio/Company 's perspective, it probably couldn't have gone any better than how it actually went. Civ VI was/is a Success for Firaxis/2K.

But for us, the Players, or at least just for me, Civ VI just feels incomplete in its current state. For me personnaly, NFP didn't add any good value to the Game, but the contrary. it broke many parts of the Game, while trying to fix others. My Experience with Civ VI pre NFP was much better than with NFP.

But I have to admit, I really enjoyed the Game. I wish I could still enjoy it, but there is one Issue that keeps me from that:

Firaxis devs, if you're reading this, please just fix the awful Asset Limit Bug, so that we can at least enjoy the Game with Mods. We have come to terms with the fact that we won't get the DLL, so please just give as the freedom back to freely add more stuff to the Game.

I don't think they will release any more for Civ VI.

Disagree, I expect 1 final patch, as a wrap-up patch, both Civ 4 and Civ 5 had those, which released a significant time after the last one.

Civ is certainly having a better 30th anniversary than Halo’s 20th, where the next Halo is coming to us without Co Op or Forge.

Ridiculous

I rolled back to the base game in Civ6 and a LOT of issues disappeared. Sometimes less is more

i enjoy the early game way more than the late game. the devs did absolutely nothing to spice up the late game. here is to hoping that civ7 does improve upon it.
PS : petting the dog makes the game , also life in general , a lot better.

I'd love one more patch for civ6 before we hit 7. There are a fair chunk of kinks which could stand to be ironed out. That said it's looking likely that we'll see Civ7 announced soon IMO. And given how close to release they announced midnight suns... Perhaps we won't have a particularly long wait!

i enjoy the early game way more than the late game. the devs did absolutely nothing to spice up the late game. here is to hoping that civ7 does improve upon it.

This 100%. Buuut.... I guess a large part part of the reason the late game is less interesting is how much snowballing matters. Part of Civ's design philosophy appears to be not to use punishing mechanics which could balance out steamrolls. I can see why since it is to a large extent the gateway 4x game and having everything you can do be a 'feel good' thing helps newer or casual players... And they are probably the biggest audience.

Unless Civ7 dramatically shakes this up I think they'll struggle to make the end game particularly dynamic. My hope would be that they take the lessons from the optional game modes in NFP and maybe have some balancer mechanics be optional?

Top Bottom