Civilization 1 Running on Windows 7 x64

Rippsblack

Chieftain
Help me!..

I have a copy of Civilization 1 for Windows, and it worked on Windows XP, but when i upgraded to Windows 7 (x 64)

the game .exe returns the following message

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an X86 (32-Bit) or x64 (64-Bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

Obviously the publisher wont help me here with such an old game.

Has anyone had any luck running the game in x64 enviroment, or windows 7?

I have all my other Civ games installed and working, and i wont be happy untill the complete set of Civ games work under one operating system

Windows 7 64 bit lacks the 16 bit subsystem required to emulate DOS. DOSBox has no such limitation, however.

If you have Civilization Chronicles, then you're out of luck. Windows 7 can't run a 16 bit game, and Civ1 for Civilization Chronicles is Windows only, so DOSBox won't run it.

If you have Windows 7 Professional, then you can download XP mode from Microsoft. If not, the only option is to get the DOS version of Civ1 and use DOSBox.

Ah, missed the "for Windows" part. In that case you'll have to go hardcore and set up a full VM, preferably with DOS + Windows 3.1

Install "Windows Virtuel PC" and run XP 32 bit there, it is free if you run correct Windows 7 version.

I realise this is a super old thread now but, just in case! I bought the Civilization Chronicles (mainly to play Civ and Civ II again) and was gutted to find they don't like 64bit. One solution is to check your original Windows install disk. Mine had both the 32 and 64 bit editions. Fortunately, I have a spare HDD and my Coolermaster case allows me to pop a SATA drive in easily, but you could do this with a small partition, if you prefer. Anyway, all I did was install Windows 7, 32 bit on the separate drive and I found it runs from there absolutely no bother at all!

Top Bottom