Civilization 2 “Wishlist”

Alsbron

Chieftain
Civ2 will probably go down as my most favorite game of all time. With the clone project thread and recent patching efforts to expand the game’s limits, I thought it would be fun to sit down and write up a list of “wishlist” features that would make the game even better. I’m not going to focus on completely new systems such as religion or culture. I’m going to try staying within the game’s framework to propose “realistic” additions.

—More than 7 civs. This is a no brainer, and there are enough colors to make it work. Brown, silver, navy, sea green, tan, gold, dark green, pink, etc. could all work.

—Borders. This was a great addition to Civilization 3. Even if Civ2 doesn’t feature a culture system, adding borders would be a great feature.

—Outposts / forts / bases / towns - add some means of securing resources and expanding your borders that doesn’t involve building a city. Large swath of dessert with oil but no desire to build a city? Claim the resources with an outpost. Towns would be a useful improvement to fill up the map, make the civ look populated from sea to shining sea. Towns could be built akin to roads, irrigation, or farmland and add trade bonuses or improve happiness in their adjacent city.

—Eliminate the “kill stack” or at least have an option. One armor shouldn’t be able to kill seven marines with one strike.

—Custom city improvements - Civ2 was great at giving you the ability to add new units, and tech, but giving the ability to create new wonders and improvements on top of the existing ones would have been a game changer.

—Custom resource placement - seeds were a usable system, but custom placement would have taken map creation to the next level.

—More unit / tech slots.

Prof. Garfield

Deity
Supporter
—Eliminate the “kill stack” or at least have an option. One armor shouldn’t be able to kill seven marines with one strike.
Test of Time Patch Project already allows this by changing the rules.txt.
—More unit / tech slots.
TOTPP allows rules to be changed for ~255 techs and ~189 unit types. (I think, numbers may be slightly off.)
—Custom resource placement - seeds were a usable system, but custom placement would have taken map creation to the next level.
TOTPP allows custom placement of resources within the game, along with a few extra terrain types (for a total of 16). Unfortunately, this doesn't extend to the map editor.

—Outposts / forts / bases / towns - add some means of securing resources and expanding your borders that doesn’t involve building a city. Large swath of dessert with oil but no desire to build a city? Claim the resources with an outpost. Towns would be a useful improvement to fill up the map, make the civ look populated from sea to shining sea. Towns could be built akin to roads, irrigation, or farmland and add trade bonuses or improve happiness in their adjacent city.
Lua could be used to achieve something like this in a scenario. Lua allows for checking if a tile is occupied, finding the nearest city, and giving bonus production to that city.

JPetroski

Deity
SLeague Staff
Lua could also be used to get around the 7 civ requirement, to an extent, though only 7 could ever be present on the map/game at any one time. Much like I was able to recycle unit slots by deleting them as necessary in the game between file changes, one could theoretically replace an entire civ, their leaders, their units, etc. I had half a mind to try it on a Roman scenario but it's much too complex and I think someone else is already trying to make one. It would be a good testbed for this given some civs (like Carthage) wouldn't be expected to remain for the entirety of the game.

Civinator

Blue Lion
Supporter
I want to add two items to that "wish-list":

1. Add different movement sounds for the different units. Even TOTPP, as far as I know, doesn´t hold an enmovement trigger. The monotone klack-klack sound for all units makes Civ 2 feeling really very outdated.

2. Fix the combat animation of animated Civ 2 ToT units, so the defending unit can have those animations, too.

Kaiser0985

Chieftain
These could be feasible even in the current MGE edition (maybe in the CIVUIA edition):

- differentiate the maintenance cost of the units in terms of money, for example currently a battleship maintenance cost is the same as a tank, an airplane or a warrior if I am not wrong (always 1 gold) which is absurd. Keeping a battleship should cost 10 gold per turn (just to say), a tank 3, a bomber 4 and so on. This could avoid everyone having dozens of powerful units with no reason and focus on less expensive units, adding strategic depth.

- The same as before, having an harbor in the city as prerequisite to construct modern naval units and an airport for the airplanes (a factory for the tanks and hotwitzer as well), instead of having tiny 1 size villages creating battleships and carriers:lol:.

Prof. Garfield

Deity
Supporter
- The same as before, having an harbor in the city as prerequisite to construct modern naval units and an airport for the airplanes (a factory for the tanks and hotwitzer as well), instead of having tiny 1 size villages creating battleships and carriers:lol:.
This already exists for Lua enhanced Test of Time scenarios. I go over how to do that in this video.

- differentiate the maintenance cost of the units in terms of money, for example currently a battleship maintenance cost is the same as a tank, an airplane or a warrior if I am not wrong (always 1 gold) which is absurd. Keeping a battleship should cost 10 gold per turn (just to say), a tank 3, a bomber 4 and so on. This could avoid everyone having dozens of powerful units with no reason and focus on less expensive units, adding strategic depth.
It should be pretty easy to add a gold cost for each unit using Lua. A shield cost is also possible (though a bit more difficult), with the disadvantage that the extra "support" cost wouldn't be explicitly shown, but rather the city would just show less overall production.

Serutan

Eatibus Anythingibus
Everyone except the AI. It never goes bankrupt.

I'd like to see the game changed so it's possible to attack AI units on your city squares with no diplomatic penalties (i.e. without a DOW and regardless of peace/cease fire status.).

Petromax

Chieftain
More civilizations is the most obvious. The diplomacy system could probably be improved.

Another thing is the Senate. It would be nice if it were more than just a random impediment. I imagine that every government could have its own version of the senate, with varying powers depending on the government type. It would basically be a way to represent internal conflicts in your civilization. There would be two internal factions: the player and the senate. Instead of just outright blocking your actions, the senate could impose conditions. Maybe you could have a relation value with the senate just like with foreign leaders, and you'd have to keep them happy with you to get things done smoothly. The senate could permit a war for a limited duration, or demand the construction of certain buildings. The player could always ignore the senate's demands, at the risk of inciting a civil war. I think this idea could be made more or less complicated and still work. Basically, the senate should be something you can interact with somehow.

Top Bottom