1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 2 for Mac

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by 54Murphy, Oct 25, 2008.

1. 54Murphy

54Murphy Chieftain

My husband is addicted to Civilization 2 (doesn't like the other versions). He is playing the game on an old PC but would like to play it on his Mac OSX 10.55. Can anyone tell me if the game can be purchased and then played on this MAC operating system?

2. Mercator

Mercator Chieftain

Take my answer with a pinch of salt. I don't actually have a Mac...

You could probably still find it (e.g. on Ebay or Amazon), but I don't think it will run... Civ2 was ported to Mac OS 9 (or earlier?) and, as far as I know, such applications will no longer run on Intel-based Macs. If your Mac is actually a PowerPC-based system (not likely if it's recent), it may still be made to work (either by running it in the "Classic" environment, or by using the carbonized patch).

Otherwise your only option is to actually install Windows on the Mac, either inside a virtual machine (e.g. using Parallels) or alongside OSX using Boot Camp.

3. Titi

Titi Chieftain

4. Mercator

Mercator Chieftain

Ooh, nice... :goodjob:

I just had a go and installed Civ2 on Ubuntu Linux using CrossOver (and Ubuntu itself was running under Microsoft Virtual PC in Windows)... Civ2 classic seemed to work, though it was rather slow, and the colours were all wrong, but that was probably due to the fact that I was running it inside Ubuntu inside Windows. Civ2 Test of Time didn't work so well. It installed, but crashed before I could start a game...

But CrossOver is actually based on Wine (Darwine for the Mac), which is free. So if you're late for "free download day", you might want to give Darwine a go instead. I also tried running Civ2 classic on Wine (in Ubuntu again) and that seemed to work fine too.

I do have to say "seem", because you never know with these kinds of things. You might run into some odd bug/limitation of CrossOver/Wine halfway through the game. I only played for like 2 minutes.

5. Havoc2009

Havoc2009 Chieftain

I have a mac too, I have a simple way to do it.... there is a program for the mac called "Parallels" what it does is you see the "Parallels desktop" icon on your desktop, you click it and a window pops up, it looks like windows booting up, because it is, you must have a hard drive from a PC plugged in which isnt so hard to do, but that is how i play it, and a word of advice-- dont let it run a billion things on there, civ 4 is about the max it can take because what it is doing is putting two computers in 1 and it is hard for it to work.
    http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd10_5/?source=google_us&gclid=CI6un9io95oCFRKIxwodK1z-dA

thats a site that sells it.... Good luck and i hope i helped.:goodjob:

Cry HAVOC and let loose the dogs of war!