Civilization 4 help (Air force)

SensFan71

Chieftain
I must be a moron or something, but I have played through 4 civilizations (2 with the americans) and after researching Flight, I am not able to build any planes, however, the CPU Tribes are able too. PLEASE HELP BEFORE I LOSE MY MIND!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Moderator Action: Moved to Civ4 General Discussions

IIRC, building planes requires that you have oil hooked-up (which also means that you need combustion to build oil wells - you should have that, as it is a pre-requisite for flight).

that means I am guessing that I did not have access to oil then, any tips for getting that commodity or does that happen at random?

It happens at random, although you can often find it in arctic or desert locations (and coastal locations, although they require a different tech than combustion to hook-up with oil platforms - can't remember off-hand what it is). Oil is revealed on the map when you discover scientific method.

You can always look to get it via trade or via conquest....

It happens at random, although you can often find it in arctic or desert locations (and coastal locations, although they require a different tech than combustion to hook-up with oil platforms - can't remember off-hand what it is). Oil is revealed on the map when you discover scientific method.

Excellent, I thank you much, you have just saved me more hours of playing/pulling my hair out for nothing by starting new games. I just need to get oil in my current games, then the air force will begin. Thanks again.

Plastics is the tech you need to build offshore platforms if your oil is in the sea, which uses a work boat in the same way as fish, clams, etc.

Plastics is the tech you need to build offshore platforms if your oil is in the sea, which uses a work boat in the same way as fish, clams, etc.
that also is good to know, I really had no idea and I have two games going right now at that stage, so will get my work boat to stop automated improvements and find me some oil.

If you are unsure what resources you need to build certain objects then check them out in Civilopedia. Tons of great information there :).

I thank you all for you information, have began to build my air force and have already began assaulting Montezuma, already have taken over 2 of his cities and working on the 3rd, if it wasn't for work, would still be taking him down right now.

Another option if you can't get it any other way is to establish the Standard Ethanol Corporation. It will convert various resources like Corn and Rice etc. into Oil. You need BtS for that though.

If you are enjoying the game, I agree that the BTS Expansion pack is the way to go. :)

Welcome to the Forums SensFan71. :beer:

If you are enjoying the game, I agree that the BTS Expansion pack is the way to go. :)

Welcome to the Forums SensFan71. :beer:

Thanks much for the warm welcome, I look forward to trying the expansion packs, I got them all lol, yeah, I went a bit crazy when I saw them at the locale Future Shop.:lol:

Top Bottom