Civilization 5 on ipad

franlato

Warlord
just wanted to share with you guys my new setup. it's an app called splashtop that turn your computer into your little on-live for ipad. I use it to play civ 5 on my ipad. Cool isn't it?

Attachments

• PA071025.jpg
    PA071025.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 3,309
can you play the game anywhere?? o.O omg that would be so cool.

as I understand it, yeah anywhere, you can even link your gmail account to find your pc more easily when you enter the app. Although i have no idea about how much bandwith it use and how it react to 3G...

I only tried over wi-fi (to play in my bed, nothing better then to already be in your bed when you realized you played all night :p)

You buy it, you synch
You download the streamer for your pc (its on the company's website)
You install the streamer, not a lot of config required (maybe none)
You open the app in the ipad, it should see your computer if on the same network,vif not you must press +

It will then stream your desktop to your computer
Since civ 5 run in a form of windowed mode, you will be able to play
And since you do not need to be playing with a keyboard, you can easily use the software one without connecting a bluetooth one.

That's it :)

I've not tried this for Civ5 and I have splashtop. I found it very fiddly and akward to use i'll need to give it another go.

On 3gs or internet, i don't know just how secure or bandwith consuming it is. I plan to use this on my local network only. On a local network its as secure as your network i guess. Maybe it would be cool to ask the company some technical details and post it here. :)

On 3gs or internet, i don't know just how secure or bandwith consuming it is. I plan to use this on my local network only. On a local network its as secure as your network i guess. Maybe it would be cool to ask the company some technical details and post it here. :)

I just asked because I'm a retired IT guy and I remember reading about some applications that could jack your Facebook page, etc. if you were using a Wi-Fi hotspot (Starbucks, etc.). Me. I wouldn't connect to my home PC via anything other than an encrypted VPN.

I would kind of expect it to use quite a bit of bandwidth. Obviously your ipad isn't doing any calculations, so it must just be high resolution video streaming combined with the ipad sending your mouseclicks back to the home computer. It should use as much bandwidth as comparable video streaming. Except I would

The ability to use it from your living room couch alone should easily be worth the two bucks though. Like franlato said, it should be as secure as your wireless in that situation.

How does it handle things that are dependent only on position of the mouse like panning around the map?

Edit: I watched their video on it, some of the mouse commands wouldn't be compatible with playing civ, are those customizable?

there's multitouch support for all mouse functions, I can't think of one I had problem with...

oh man, I have that keyboard since the time when my computer ran with steam instead of electricity.

Well, it just so happens I bought a new machine recently and am using 3G as my internet.

Took approx 16 hours to download it on the new machine; and the file itself exceeded my high speed quota so approx half way thru that I was knocked down to edge speed for the remainder of the download (and indeed the month)

But that is one time. The patches are much smaller than the full install.

But the apps are very small, do you mean you reached your quota because of the stream?

I would kind of expect it to use quite a bit of bandwidth. Obviously your ipad isn't doing any calculations, so it must just be high resolution video streaming combined with the ipad sending your mouseclicks back to the home computer. It should use as much bandwidth as comparable video streaming. Except I would

The ability to use it from your living room couch alone should easily be worth the two bucks though. Like franlato said, it should be as secure as your wireless in that situation.

How does it handle things that are dependent only on position of the mouse like panning around the map?

Edit: I watched their video on it, some of the mouse commands wouldn't be compatible with playing civ, are those customizable?

If the game is in windowed mode, you cannot pan around the map.

Top Bottom