1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 5 on ipad

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by franlato, Oct 7, 2011.

1. franlato

franlato Warlord

I play in fullscreen (with no mouse constraints for the edge of the screen) and I only have to drag my finger on the ipad to "pan around the map" and use two fingers to some in and out.

2. revelation216

revelation216 NQ Civilopedian

i have civ 5 on my sony ericsson w995

3. franlato

franlato Warlord

Cool, tbere's a similar app?

4. quarryman

quarryman Chieftain

Just want to bump this as I was about to post a thread on the exact same subject but decided to do a search first.

The ipad is a perfect medium for the game. It means I can sit on the couch and utilize the quad core setup running the game without having to sit in front of the screen.

Couple of things I've learned:
    1. It's worth setting the resolution of the game to match the ipad (1024x768).
    2. Sometimes after opening slashtop you might see a blank screen. It's better to have your PC on the desktop and the then run the game via the ipad.
    3. You can mute the sound on your PC but still play it through the ipad.
    4. To mimic the mouse-over action (for info on tiles, units etc) point beside the target then drag onto it.

That's it really. Obviously you can't use the keyboard shortcuts but 99% of the controls are reproducible via the iPad.

I'm loving it and have played for 4-5 hours lazing on the couch :)

5. Andulias

Andulias A Stranger on a Train

6. quarryman

quarryman Chieftain

That user is using RDP which is unsuitable (and laggy).

The OP in this thread posted the correct method:

I'll post a video of it action later.

7. Andulias

Well, I still can't imagine myself playing on an iPad, but it's pretty cool that it's possible. I guess what Trey Parker described at the Microsoft E3 Press-conference is close at hand:
    :D

8. yanner39

yanner39 Emperor

Thanks franlato for posting this.

So I've set everything up, I connect to my PC and I see the desktop. I see the Steam interface but when I load up Civ 5, I don't see anything on my iPad except for the mouse icon. I can move it and if I look on the PC screen I can click and everything. I just can see anything on my iPad.

Any thought?

9. quarryman

quarryman Chieftain

Did you start the game using the ipad or via the PC and then remote in?

I find I need to start it via the ipad. So remote in via splashtop with your ipad to see your PC desktop and then run the game from there.

One other solution is to Alt-Tab when you see the black screen using the ipad then exit splashtop and run it again. That always fixes it for me. This only needs to be done once, you can play for hours after that with no issue.

I've uploaded a video to show it's usability, response time etc. yanner39: near the end of the video I show how to solve your problem.

Link to video.

10. Andulias

Wow, this looks really cool, congrats :D

11. JoeRockEHF

JoeRockEHF Chieftain

Got this running last night on my iPad. Takes a little while getting used to not using the mouse but after an hour or so it just seemed almost like a normal iOS game. Very awesome, thanks guys for posting this up!

12. flairin

flairin Prince

you could do this on your laptop as well if it is not beefy enough to run the game standalone... Works great!!

13. Honos

Honos Chieftain

I think this is the wave of the future. Firaxis would be smart to think of designing games to be ported across PC/Apple/tablets. CivRev was a good start and try, but when they develop Civ6 I better to be able to play on my iPad. Heck, I'm typing this post from my iPhone.

I found this thread while looking to find out if Civ5 can Play on the new iPad. Too bad I'm too lazy to do everything in this thread. I was hoping it would just work. ;)

14. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Bought Splashtop just for this. Worth the $2 that's for sure. Edit: anyone know how to remove the mouseover? highly annoying on this setup.

15. macthegoalieciv

macthegoalieciv King

That has to be the coolest thing I've ever seen. Nice job!

16. Jabberwockxeno

Jabberwockxeno Prince

What'd be even cooler is if steam started to do a on-live type of thing where the game is running on the steam servers and you just get the video/audio and controls.