Civilization 5 Raves Thread

ori

Repair Guy
Retired Moderator
The Civ 5 General Discussions forum is being overrun with copycat threads either complaining about or praising Civ 5. Almost all of those threads do not present an actual discussion, just a list of why you do or don't like the game. This new thread is now for all your personal raves about Civ 5 so we can keep them all together and not clutter the forum.

Actual discussion threads, that maintain a discussion and do not turn into a simply list of why you like the game will be permitted, but those that fail to meet that actual discussion standard, will be merged into this thread without notice.

If you like the game or some aspect of the game, please post it here.

Moderator Action: As with all threads: all forum rules apply: please keep your posts civil[ized]
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Like:

1) 1 unit per hex (never was a fan of the stacks of doom)

2) hexes instead of squares

3) no religion (didn't like how it was implemented in civ iv)

4) the way air units are handled, except for the lack of scouting option

I wonder if we can sticky this (and the rants thread) to make sure they're always easy to find.

Like that idea Charon, this will definatly clean the forum up a little.

As for some liking... anyone heard anything yet about the supposed new civs?
Cant wait to get my hands on some new civs :)

I have to say I love the strategy 1upt has brought with it, and the fullscreen leaders.

@JoxerNL: I believe they will be out within the month, at approx. a similar time to the patch. Don't hold me to that, I'm just speculating.

Like that idea Charon, this will definatly clean the forum up a little.

As for some liking... anyone heard anything yet about the supposed new civs?
Cant wait to get my hands on some new civs :)

Looks like Inca and Spanish. Don't have a hard confirmation, but all the latest info seems to be pointing towards them.

Like the 1UPT, enjoy the ranged-combat mechanic, really, really, really like the 1oil=1tank set up.

Oh, and hexes.

I have some kind of "cognitive dissonance", when after reading many elaborate posts in this forum containing theories about the game being "dumbed down", "console-like", "no immersion", "boring" and many much worse opinions, I play the game and see that it's quite good and enjoyable, and in some aspects more complex than Civ4.

I wonder if we can sticky this (and the rants thread) to make sure they're always easy to find.

Making something sticky is the best way to get people to ignore it ;).
And we already have to many stickies.
These threads here should stay on top.
There's enough to rant and enough to be happy about in Civ5 :).

Improvements compared to Civ IV:

- Hexagon tiles
- Leader screens with speech (too bad the diplomacy part is as much worse)
- Overall graphics and music is of superb quality, but Civ IV would've had the same was it also released in 2010
- I understand modding is easier, although I don't know first-hand

I like the hexes, ranged combat, 1UPT, naval bombardment. Everything else is a stepback. Put those 4 things in civ 4 and I'd be very happy and would still be playing civ 5. As it is now I'm waiting for a patch, but more likely waiting for an expansion. Vanilla civ 4 had my interest for only so long, but civ 4 bts was timeless. I'm hoping the same progression happens with Civ 5. The major changes I like outlined above are really great, and have a lot of promise, it's just unfortunate that the rest of the game isn't up to par. I'm a builder at heart and there is nothing for me to do.

I like hexes and 1UPT.

What I really like are city hit points and city defenses. A well-developed city with millions of citizens doesn't get taken over by a warrior. Yay! Also I don't get totally pwnd by a barb galley because I didn't go down the highly-expensive Metal Casting path to buy triremes!

I really like how combat works with each party taking some damage (0-10) in the fight. No more losing at 99.98% odds. No more horrendous 50/50 battles where one side dies and the other is basically unscathed. Your full hp rifleman just isn't going to die attacking a spearman. He won't ever.

Despite some frustration with the dumb AI, incomprehensible diplomacy and AI cheating (2 UPT - I see it all the time), I manage to have some really fun games. Even as I slaughter my inept neighbors with inferior weaponry and inadequate forces, Hiawatha is expanding, wiping out HIS neighbor and building wonders at breakneck speed. Yeah, he is doing that because he cheats, but at least that makes the game challenging.

I like that I can upgrade my units through the ages. I can name them and grow attached to them. Maybe it's not terribly believable all the time, but it's fun.

I like that there's stuff to figure out in the game. When I played my first few games, I found unit, road and building maintenance to be killer. Now it's barely significant. I pay the maintenance costs and rake in the bucks on top of that. Same with happiness. Maybe these problems are too easily solved, but it was still fun figuring out how to solve them.

Puppets almost always build what I was hoping they'd build. It's basically the first AI governor that I've liked. Can we get whoever programmed puppet AI to work on some other parts of the game, please?

The one thing I really do like about Civ 5 is the resource allocations re number of units.

Its always been a personal niggle of mine that one resource of (anythng) satiates all needs for that resource in the whole empire, doesnt ring true ....

I suspect that the current limitation is another knock on effect of 1UPT and subsequent need to restrict Unit numbers. However, the fact that you need to think about how much resource (aka iron, oil, aluminium, uranium etc) will be needed for whatever plan is being put together for the military is far more realistic and definitely inside the "believeable" curve.

Definite big Plus point, whether it ends up as a Strategy Game or a Mass Market one - forces the player to think a little more in "a" direction, always a good thing and helps keep away from mindless "press the enter key" ....

Regards
Zy

I like hexes, ranged combat, and especially one unit per tile. Also, the coming patch looks very promising.

Edit: and City-States. Can't believe I forgot those.

There are a few things I think were good ideas in this game. From the italic should haves, you might notice I don't think the game has fully been able to capitalise on them though...

1. Cities can defend themselves. This should have levelled the playing field a little between human and AI -- in previous Civs the human would keep obsolete units in cities (to remove the unhappiness penalty) while the AI spreads its army thinly defending each city with at least two units.

2. Multi-turn combat. If you can make units more valuable (survive longer) then you can design the game around having fewer of them. (Should be less piece shuffling of massive armies in the late game).

3. Multiple turns to raze a city. Should make "defend the city" no longer the single point of the AI's war strategy in Civ.

4. Cities being able to grow differently than the Big Fat Cross. Makes micro-placement of cities less important, and should have given a greater interest around resource acquisition strategy after city placement. (If only you couldn't just buy the tiles with spare cash...)

One little thing I like is the ability to move the map after you get prompted to choose a new research. That way, if you aren't centered on a city, you can move back to one to see what resources are near it so you can pick an appropriate tech to give access to the resource.

One little thing I like is the ability to move the map after you get prompted to choose a new research. That way, if you aren't centered on a city, you can move back to one to see what resources are near it so you can pick an appropriate tech to give access to the resource.
Amen to that! That was one of my biggest frustrations in Civ 4, not being able to do this.

Top Bottom