1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 5 Website...some civs don't talk?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Exoma, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Exoma

Exoma Chieftain

http://www.civilization5.com/#/civilizations/

So I was searching through the site, and notice that the civ leaders from Greece to Songhai don't speak! Are Firaxis going to fix this? Will they talk in the game? Does anybody have any information on this? I'm dying to hear how Darius sounds! :p

2. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Emperor

They haven't released the voice files for those civ's yet, I dont think all 18 are even listed, but don't worry all of them talk and exist on the game :)

3. Sabretou

Sabretou Warlord

To cut a long story short, they released all the civ videos when the site started and took down half of them a week later, saying they were just a sneak peek. Thing is, a lot of users had noticed problems in them, mostly related to language and culture, but Wu Zetian was having an issue with no-clipping.

I happened to download all the files with my Firefox extension before they took them down, so I still have all of them (unfortunately, I think they were taken down when somebody tried uploading them on YouTube). The only one we didn't get was Ramkhamhaeng, because we have no idea how they spelled his filename (we had to guess by filename once they took it off the site).

So yeah, they will talk in the game and will probably even be better-looking and/or sounding than the ones we got when the site came online. Relax and get something to do because we have less than a month left.

4. cr0ws

cr0ws Prince

Just wonder will they talk in their native languages or all english...Would rather be cool if they talked in their native languages. I wanna here Augustus Caesar talk in Latin!

5. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

They do. Augustus sounded pretty cool in Latin as well (seemed to be Classic Latin and not a more modern equivalent).

My guess is they took them down for polishing. The ones they were more happy with (or would be more popular) they left up. Plus, it'll make things more interesting when we actually see them in game.

6. Lord Arska

Lord Arska Chieftain

I wanna hear Catherine's welcome. :king:
    I didn't visit the site when all of the videos were still available. :/ Does someone who also speaks Russian remember what she said?

7. Exoma

Exoma Chieftain

Sabretou! Would you mind sending me the videos? I would really appreciate it! IF not, then just maybe DArius' video?

8. lifelessgamer

lifelessgamer Chieftain

I found Wu (Sabretou found basically everything else) but the only one that we could not crack was Ramkhamhaeng, I tried EVERYTHING!!! but to no avail:(.
    Anyway I also have the files on my pc so just PM Sabretou or me if any of you guys want the files (just don't post it on Youtube or it will be taken down)

9. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Emperor

All native lanugages (well as native as a 2,000 year old dead language can be)
    Everything will have English (or whathever language game you buy) subtitles for everything the leaders say, this way you'll be able to understand when montezuma shouts blashemous comments at you.

10. Cilpot

Cilpot Pretentious Schmuck

Haven't been on the Civ5 site for a while. Glad they removed the old Ottoman "factoid" :)

11. Exoma

Exoma Chieftain

Why? What did it say?

12. lifelessgamer

lifelessgamer Chieftain

It said something similar to this "It's a pity that most Americans don't know about the Ottaman Empire because it occupies their blind spot between Greece and China"...... Can't remember it word for word............

13. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

In short, it was a dig at the perceived common ignorance USA residents have on things beyond their borders.

14. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

don't feed the trolls, seriously

I think it's cool that all the leader's speak thier own native languages (or a close approximation to it), gives the game a touch of jenaisaiqua (or however its spelt)

15. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

16. Darth Caesar

Darth Caesar Might be a Wizard

They need to do something about George Washington, he sounds like Bill Clinton!

17. 2K Greg

2K Greg <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un

They will all be back up before long :)

18. Darth Caesar

Darth Caesar Might be a Wizard

Good.

19. Cilpot

Cilpot Pretentious Schmuck

It was basically that "Americans don't know much about the area between the Mediterranean and China".

A "factoid" that both says that Americans are ignorant of world geography and history and that the most interesting thing to say about the Ottomans is that the Americans don't know much about them. A double-strike :)

20. cr0ws

cr0ws Prince

http://img440.imageshack.us/f/worldn.jpg
    You a jealous commie?