Civilization 5

Would really like to see a way to shape your civ and its people depending on how you play. Instead of just starting out with a leader and a civ with all the bonuses and specialties set firm, it would be really cool if at least one of those things, or perhaps even a completely third thing was given depending on your game style.

For example if you war more than your build you would be given the aggressive characteristic, if you build wonders you get industrial, if you focus on economy you get financial and so on. They could then be updated, say every 100 turn (depending on game speed), representing change in your civ as it evolves. Perhaps it shouldn't be the leaders characteristics that should change but rather some bonus your civ get. In so keeping all the uniqueness of civ 4 and adding some changing bonus depending on your play style.

I like this suggestion a lot. I also share Rysmiel's concern that Civ V may go the "Civ Rev" way and be too short and simplistic. I hope the people att Firaxis always keep in mind that Civ players are all ages and preferences, from quite young children to people in their 70's. Builders and warmongers. Record-breakers and people who just want a relaxing game. Well, not *too* relaxing; you know what I mean.

Even if one isn;t familiar with the history that the game covers, one will become so after playing it for a while; should it stop being interesting at that point ?

There are four versions of the civ game to date so I doubt Civ will stop being interesting . I have become familiar with many aspects of human history because of civ.

You're asking for two incompatible things here, IMO. You can have history, which works out the way it actally did; or you can have something you can play that changes depending on what you do. Both at once is contradictory, no ?

I'm not asking, I'm stating an alternative. You've misunderstood me. Why watch the facts of history whey you can play a game with reference to history.

also, i think they should introduce an occupation aspect where you occupy one part of a nation while trying to rebuild then you grant them freedom *eventually* and you can decide the new nations civics and names and leader.

Here's the result of lenghty talks with a fan of civ and friend of mine. Here's what I want to see in Civ5.

* I want to play a dynasty rather than a single leader over millenaries. I want it like we've seen in TotalWar. I want to be able to marry my second-degree half-witted cousin to the beautiful daughter of the Portuguese king in order to broker an alliance with him or just annexing part of his territory.
I want political assassination (performed by spies), rumours and God knows what.

* I want each civ to have its own tech tree. How come everybody ends up with marines and Abrams, regardless of who is in first position or even if the Americans are playing? I want to see the world turning to an ecofriendly, peacemongering utopia because the Native Americans are in first place. I want Native American techs like Shamanism to appear in every other civ's tech tree and I want these to be appealing more (costing less) than their original tech, in effect tending to uniformize the world. But if I play the Germans I still want to be able to research (at great cost) armour vehicles and combustion in order to produce an army of panzers to get rid of those damn tree-hugging injuns.
Speaking of techs, I want to customize my techs so that if, say, I have lot of muddy plains near my cities and I need, say, a new weapon, I can ask my scientists to invent some kind of combustible using that mud mixed with some other ingredients, to be thrown up by catapults. If what I need is water filtering for producing more food, I want them to invent some kind of filter using this mud. If I need money, maybe we can market the mud as healing skin-appliance or whatelse.

* If I choose to war constantly and behaving badly, I want my population to get used to it and even support it over times. I want Peace Weariness in that case and We Love The King Day in my cities because I got kicked of the UN.

* I want an extended conception of morale: I want to be able to play a complete bad guy. I want to produce drugs and sell it via a parallel economy, I want to sell weapons, to print fake money, to smuggle fake goods. I want to support terrorism.
I want to be able to genocide. I want to say: "let's get rid of these damn buddhists/Vikings/communists" and do it, starting the epuration in my own cities and also my vassals then trying to submit other civs to my insane dreams. Of course there would be strong downsides for this: I would lose the support of any nation hovering the persecuted minority or just caring a little bit for its image, I would be banned from the UN and have recurring nightmares where little Viking babies come back to haunt me. I don't want too much realism though, ofc nobody wants to see Civ becoming a Shoah simulator where you place your railways and death camps for the best efficiency.

* I want pollution back, only naughtier. I want to dump my garbage in the ocean then be decried by the international community once a NGO discovers it, losing tons of relation points. I then want to send my toxic waste to third world countries in exchange for cash, supposedly to be treated there but in fact being dispersed on agrarian lands.

* I want wars with a frontline and no stack of doom. I want my catapult to survive when attacking, giving me the incentive to use them against grouped enemies, therefore preventing the use of SoD.

* I want a distinction between reforms, coup and revolution. What we have in the civ series technically is reforms: new ways of government chosen and implemented by the leader in place and accepted more or less widely by the population. A revolution would be when your people revolt totally on its own, demanding a new form of government. You are then confronted with a choice : repress and risk seeing the revolution going on or accept your people's will and shift to an uncalled-for form of government. A coup would be a foreign attempt to overthrow your dynasty and seizing part of your territory. Of course I want to foment coups in other civs.

*I want plagues back.

*I want more spy missions.

also, i think they should introduce an occupation aspect where you occupy one part of a nation while trying to rebuild then you grant them freedom *eventually* and you can decide the new nations civics and names and leader.

I don't think so. If you look back at Qing Dao, Macau, Hong Kong or Vietnam, the German, Portugese, British and the French all captured territories from China and all eventually lost them. Germany lost Qingdao after WW1, Portugal's lease on Macau was over in 1998, the most famous handover of Hong Kong from the UK after the 99 year lease agreement and France's loses in WW2 let Indochina become Vietnam.

I could provide the same examples for the continent of Africa but my history on European occupation in that region is limited. China is awaiting the freedom of Manchuria from Russian occupation.

Here's the result of lenghty talks with a fan of civ and friend of mine. Here's what I want to see in Civ5.

* I want to play a dynasty rather than a single leader over millenaries. I want it like we've seen in TotalWar. I want to be able to marry my second-degree half-witted cousin to the beautiful daughter of the Portuguese king in order to broker an alliance with him or just annexing part of his territory.
I want political assassination (performed by spies), rumours and God knows what.

:goodjob: This seems like a good idea. It might be a bit complicated, though, coming up with a whole bunch of different family members.

* I want each civ to have its own tech tree. How come everybody ends up with marines and F16, regardless of who is in first position or even if the Americans are playing? I want to see the world turning to an ecofriendly, peacemongering utopia because the Native Americans are in first place. I want Native American techs like Shamanism to appear in every other civ's tech tree and I want these to be appealing more (costing less) than their original tech, in effect tending to uniformize the world. But if I play the Germans I still want to be able to research (at great cost) armour vehicles and combustion in order to produce an army of panzers to get rid of those damn tree-hugging injuns.
Speaking of techs, I want to customize my techs so that if, say, I have lot of muddy plains near my cities and I need, say, a new weapon, I can ask my scientists to invent some kind of combustible using that mud mixed with some other ingredients, to be thrown up by catapults. If what I need is water filtering for producing more food, I want them to invent some kind of filter using this mud. If I need money, maybe we can market the mud as healing skin-appliance or whatelse.

The problem with customisable techs is that it is way too open ended. The game would not be able to deal with it effectively. As for more techs in general, that is an idea that is getting some strong discussion. Perhaps you should have your say here.

* If I choose to war constantly and behaving badly, I want my population to get used to it and even support it over times. I want Peace Weariness in that case and We Love The King Day in my cities because I got kicked of the UN.

This is probably a bit unrealistic. Perhaps your people could become accustomed to war over time, but realistically, their is always war weariness, despite militaristic societies. Also, this would undermine the detriment of war, and make it too easy.

* I want an extended conception of morale: I want to be able to play a complete bad guy. I want to produce drugs and sell it via a parallel economy, I want to sell weapons, to print fake money, to smuggle fake goods. I want to support terrorism.

AS much as this is a good idea, it is, firstly, complicated, and secondly, something that the developers would never include in the game due to media and customer lash-back.

I want to be able to genocide. I want to say: "let's get rid of these damn buddhists/Vikings/communists" and do it, starting the epuration in my own cities and also my vassals then trying to submit other civs to my insane dreams. Of course there would be strong downsides for this: I would lose the support of any nation hovering the persecuted minority or just caring a little bit for its image, I would be banned from the UN and have recurring nightmares where little Viking babies come back to haunt me. I don't want it too realist though, ofc nobody wants to see Civ becoming a Shoah simulator where you place your railways and death camps for the best rending.

Any inclusion of genocide in the game would conjure headlines of, 'Game allows recreation of Holocaust'. Not good for publicity, and it's not really a good thing to be seemingly advertise and condone. I assume that there would be some sort of benefit for this, or it would be useless, but this would just make it worse, in terms of publicity.

* I want pollution back, only naughtier. I want to dump my garbage in the ocean then be decried by the international community once a NGO discovers it, losing tons of relations points. I want then to send my toxic waste to third world countries in exchange for cash, supposedly to be treated there but in fact being dispersed on agrary lands.

Again, the problem with this is that it is way too complicated to include in the game. Unless the game was completely redone on a whole new level of complexity, this would not be possible to include. It is a very particular event.

* I want wars with a frontline and no stack of doom. I want my catapult to survive when attacking, giving me the incentive to use them against grouped enemies, therefore preventing the use of SoD.

Yeah, this is a good idea. I've always thought that siege weapons should be attached to units in the same way that Great Generals are. Then, the unit could decide to bombard for a turn, or attack (using the might of the base unit and the siege weapon), or even bombard a group of units, causing collateral damage. They should not have to go into battle, as such, to cause this collateral damage.

* I want a distinction between reforms, coup and revolution. What we have in the civ series technically is reforms: new ways of government chosen and implemented by the leader in place and accepted more or less widely by the population. A revolution would be when your people revolt totally on its own, demanding a new form of government. You are then confronted with a choice : repress and risk seeing the revolution going on or accept your people's will and shift to an uncalled-for form of government. A coup would be a foreign attempt to overthrow your dynasty and seizing part of your territory. Of course I want to foment coups in other civs.

This is a really good idea. Perhaps you could start a thread on it, or something.

*I want epidemies back.

This would also be good, and would make health a more important aspect of the game. I mean, sure, it can limit growth as it is, but it doesn't actually cause anything other than stagnation, or some possible starvation.

*I want more spy missions.

I don't know much about BtS, but I gather that there are lots of spy options. More would, again, make it very complicated.

Why not have a bit of a mix of both, with military tactics being more optional. For instance, for one battle you might say, 'Oh, I'll just let it go as it used to', and for another, you might say, 'I'm going to take charge of this one.'

good idea. for economic options there should be the ability to manage revenue and insted of GP (gold pieces) they should allow you to create a type of coinage or paper money once you discover currency. I also think that the whole speaclist thing should be set up as: you pay a small amount of your treasury to create a speaclist, and then after say, 10 turns, the speacilist starts returning revenue. For example say you wanted to hire a scientist. so you go to the city screen and pay, say $500 (or whatever currency you have). Then after 10 turns they produce there Revenue. This would work out great for merchants because throughout history merchants have had to pay a small tribute to the Nation he belongs to. As far as the millitary thing goes I want you to be able to see how many troops are in your division or army. and I want you to be able to use terrain beyond the defense bonus. For example, say you have 2500 chariots in your army. You should be able to manuver those chariots onto a hill or across a river, during a battle. Because there are multiple examples throughut history where the manuverablitiy played a HUGE roll in the results. (I would Know I've tought history for 5 years! :lol: To those of you who say that "that isn't civ" well I say to you a new game is like a newly baked batch cookies, because there are always new ideas put into both cookies, and games, to make the result better. :king:

(I would Know I've tought history for 5 years! To those of you who say that "that isn't civ" well I say to you a new game is like a newly baked batch cookies, because there are always new ideas put into both cookies, and games, to make the result better.
That isn't Civ because that's incompatible with the genre. It is a game, and the game part has to have unity, a theme. Take that away---wait, I'm feeling too much deja vu from this post, let me stop.

"Hey let's add baseball bats to basketball it will be totally rad!"

Öjevind Lång;7989070 said:
I like this suggestion a lot.

The only change I would make to Volapyk's suggestion here is to have the assessment of how you are playing, and changes of bonuses and so on, happen when you hit certain developmental stages - change of Age, for example - rather than every hundred turns; because different players will get to very different points in their strategies at a fixed 100-turn mark.

There are four versions of the civ game to date so I doubt Civ will stop being interesting . I have become familiar with many aspects of human history because of civ.

I don't think Civ's really taught me much of anything about history i was not already familiar with.

I'm not asking, I'm stating an alternative. You've misunderstood me. Why watch the facts of history whey you can play a game with reference to history.

OK, let me ask you, what are you playing the game for ? What aspect of an ideal Civ game gives you satisfaction ?

If the answer there is "it recreates actual history as well as possible", how is there room for it to be a game ? How is there rooom for you to do better or worse at the game if all you ar trying to do is make it as much like history as possible ?

I don't. Not under any circumatances. There are any number of games where you can do that - Civ lets you play the civilisation.

Spy and assassin units would be good, yes.

* I want each civ to have its own tech tree. How come everybody ends up with marines and F16, regardless of who is in first position or even if the Americans are playing? I want to see the world turning to an ecofriendly, peacemongering utopia because the Native Americans are in first place.

Again, not under any circumstances. If you're trying to make me believe that Native Americans starting off in Scandinavia will have the same culture and progress of development that real Native Americans did in history, you'll have an uphill struggle.

I strongly oppose this too. Put all the options in, and customise them by choosing the ones you prioritise, but making tehcs up as you go along is not playing, it's modding.

I could go with that given a government type supporting it, or wars with enemies with whom you're in a state of vendetta, and provided you're actually winning.

* I want pollution back, only naughtier. I want to dump my garbage in the ocean then be decried by the international community once a NGO discovers it, losing tons of relation points.

I very much want pollution back.

While I agree that catapults should survive, I think Civ 3 shows that having them survive does not keep SoDs from being optimal; you just stack up your catapults with a bunch of strong defenders and a couple of attackers to kill the enemy once you've bombarded them down to almost nothing.

* I want a distinction between reforms, coup and revolution. What we have in the civ series technically is reforms: new ways of government chosen and implemented by the leader in place and accepted more or less widely by the population.

No, that's what we have in Civ 4.

A revolution would be when your people revolt totally on its own, demanding a new form of government.

Which they will do in Civ 1 to 3 if you have ongoing unhappiness issues and do not deal with them. I want this back.

I don't think Civ's really taught me much of anything about history i was not already familiar with.

Well, if the game didn't teach you anything, I hope you were entertained anyways.
OK, let me ask you, what are you playing the game for ? What aspect of an ideal Civ game gives you satisfaction ?

Civ salitates my war mongering with news from today's world.
If the answer there is "it recreates actual history as well as possible", how is there room for it to be a game ? How is there rooom for you to do better or worse at the game if all you ar trying to do is make it as much like history as possible ?

My answer is not, "it recreates actual history as well as possible".

Might sound kind of weird but along with bringing advisers back I think it would be cool if we had a police state etc. We could have said advisers executed.

^ Weird suggestion of the month.

I very much want pollution back.
I do to, but I would like it to impact diplomacy in the late game to a great extent. A civ that pollutes the environment should be put under heavy pressure by other civs. Especially if this civ has open borders and free speech.

-5 Your civilization is polluting our planet.

Migration
As opposed to Culture-Flipping, cities with higher Culture gradually 'steal' Population points from nearby cities (could be both from others Civs and within ones own Civ, actually, although certain Civics could enhance/mitigate this). Culture-Flipping could still happen, but only to Cities with relatively low Population and/or due to Espionage action.

Native Religion
Each Civ starts with (or quickly acquires) its own native religion (Chinese folk religion, Egyptian folk religion, etc.), which can then be spread to foster relations. Great People can be used to create non-Civ specific religions (Christianity, etc.), which can add more Culture but may also lead to internal tensions/civil-wars.

More Border Options
Rather than having either open-borders or closed-borders, allow only certain Units through, or be able to tax for allowing Units through. Also have borders defined by something other than culture (military, probably...haven't thought that through though :blush:).

Commerce from Population
Rather than having commerce generated from terrain, commerce is generated from population-number and/or placing more than one person on the same terrain - the first harvest food/production, the second generates commerce (the main city tile could generate a base level of commerce regardless). Terrain would have to be upgraded (Hamlet -> Village -> Town -> Conurbation) to support more people, or suffer a Health penalty for being over-loaded.

Crime
Basically represented as Civic-Upkeep at present, could bring back some of the corruption/waste elements from previous games though, the main point is using Espionage (possibly renamed - Police, Defense, Ministry, Internal Affairs, I dunno) to mitigate it (Espionage being generated by Police Stations, Prisons, etc.). It could also extend to creating Units too, if the 'building Units from Production' model is abandoned (which I would like, but haven't given much thought :blush:).

Oh, and hexagonal tiles (think I already said that though).
- :)

When you build the hollywood, broadway and rock n roll you need to build a cinematics for hollywood to spread the hit movies and then you need a stage to spread hit singels and hit musicals and then you can build a radiostation to make the cities even more happy and provides a culture 3+ happienes 5+

And why don't they have wonders such as Motown or DisneyWorld or Normandy Beach or The Statue of Liberty? Come on, programmers.:cry:

By the way, I really think that the border conquering should change. Someone had an idea about a "conquer border"-ability for military units. Sounds nice!

And maybe make the AI realize big cities do not equal human targets--we tend to not go all the way to their capital and attack. (except if we have ninjas)

Me said:
That's another good idea: ninjas :)

To reflect modern society better, I would like to see the concept of "urbanization" implemented: Throughtout the game, farming efficiency increases so that more and more of the population can turn to other tasks, such as generating production, commerce, culture, political influence, military, etc.

In the beginning, 90% of the population would be required to farm to feed the others. Towards the end, the numbers would be the opposite or even more biased the other way.

Today, power does not come from food, but from politics. Wealth does not come from natural resources, but from high-value services and a well managed economic system.

* I want each civ to have its own tech tree. How come everybody ends up with marines and F16, regardless of who is in first position or even if the Americans are playing? I want to see the world turning to an ecofriendly, peacemongering utopia because the Native Americans are in first place. I want Native American techs like Shamanism to appear in every other civ's tech tree and I want these to be appealing more (costing less) than their original tech, in effect tending to uniformize the world. But if I play the Germans I still want to be able to research (at great cost) armour vehicles and combustion in order to produce an army of panzers to get rid of those damn tree-hugging injuns.

I like these suggestions, particularly the first one. But with regard to the other suggestions in your post, I agree with Camikaze - they are too complicated or controversial. And as for spies, I think they are overpowered already in Civ IV. They are much too cheap to produce, and their ability to do endless mischief (terrorism, really) without the responsible civ even risking a war is annoying beyond description.

Top Bottom