1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization 6 February Update

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duke William of Normandy, Feb 16, 2021.

?

What are you looking forward to most in the February Patch?

1. Barbarian Clans Mode

2. Improvements to A.I. Handling of Aircraft

3. Leader Selection Pool

4. Natural Wonder Reworks and Rebalance

5. Government Policy Card Slot Changes

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. auximenes77

auximenes77 Chieftain

Do we know if they still have the reduced stats of the Barb units after you pay for them? I imagine they will not be upgraded, which makes the reduced cost balanced.

2. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I've always thought it's absurd how much gamers expect for free. That being said, "quality" is the operative word here. I'd be happy to pay for quality content--but NFP has, for the most part, emphatically not been quality content.

3. mielony

mielony Chieftain

I agree with you. I would leave the corporation mode and fire the rest to improve the AI.

nzcamel likes this.
  4. Prester John 2

Prester John 2 Chieftain

I want Carl to play all parts in a counsellor mode.

5. KayAU

KayAU King

All of this seems good to me, and the Barbarian Clans mode seems like another thing I might have integrated into the base game, along with Monopolies and Corporations. The previous update pulled me back to Civ 6 for a few more games (before I went back to Vox Populi again). Now it looks like this one will pull me back for a few more. It looks like they're headed for a strong finish to the "season".

6. raen

raen Coat of Arms

7. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Based on this thread, the next Picker mode should be "Full Random Music" and "Music from These Civs, Regardless of who is in game."

8. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I sometimes wish there was a way to still have the leaders but just skip their themes. Although, now that I think about it, even with no music I don't care to see Matthias, John Curtin or Pedro in my games anyway :mischief:

9. Abaxial

Abaxial King

I think that is going to be a real problem. Are they going to release Civ VII with a dozen civs and have everyone go "Hey! Where is my Vietnam/ Gaul/ Whatever your favourite civ is?" Civ VI has so much bolted on now, VII is going to have to be pretty special.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  10. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Moderator Action: This is a forum that brings together Civilization Fans, it is not the food network. Enough derailing over food items. Thread bans coming if it continues.

11. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

No one is going to expect 50 civs upon launch.
    However I think that these game modes are test runs and I don't see why Corporations and Barbarian Clans can't make it into the base game on top of other features like natural disasters from GS. :mischief:

nzcamel, Jeppetto, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  12. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

The danger for civ 7 is what happened to Paradox with Imperator Rome. The new game just couldn't match up to the scope of other titles in their catalogue that were decades old and it left a bitter taste in lots of mouths. Sadly, as I do actually enjoy the game.

The 'season' hint makes me think/hope more might be coming though...

Duuk, Myomoto, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  13. Alexander's Hetaroi

The good news is that Civ 6 came with most of the gameplay content from Civ 5 and it's expansions, except the WC, so hopefully it would be the same thing.

I'd like another "season" too but I'm not too sure. If it is I don't see it lasting another year and as much content.

Myomoto, nzcamel, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  14. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

*looks at Humankind*

I mean yeah, I think that if Humankind does well It better push Firaxis to up their game, I wouldn't mind a lighter version of the humankind system making it into civ 7, it could at least alleviate some of the wonkiness of having ancient and modern leaders starting at the same time.

I completely agree in that some of the new modes do feel like stuff that should be base in civ6, and hope it carries to civ 7, mindless barbarians where one of my main griped with the game, I honestly wouldn't want to go back to that in civ 7, if anything I'd love for that kind of interaction and evolution to deepen, rebel cities turning to CS, CS banding together into federations, maybe even breaking up civs into parts, it could lead to interesting scenarios where unstable civs end up broken into pieces that actually reform into something else, couple that with better idiology blocks and you've got cold war scenarios on late game.

15. Alexander's Hetaroi

To me that wouldn't feel like a Civilization game, which is picking an immortal leader to lead your civilization from the Ancient Era onwards, or whatever era you choose to start at.
    If people don't have a problem with Babylon or Sumeria making it all the way to 2050 A.D., I don't see the problem with America or Brazil starting the game in 4000 B.C. I wouldn't want to be forced to only start in the Industrial/Modern Era if I wanted to play as America.

nzcamel, Jeppetto, DWilson and 8 others like this.
  16. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I mean, I wouldn't go as far as Humankind does it, but at least a semblance of change or progress in the leader area would be welcome, to me It's the other way around, in a game all about the progress of civilization, having 1 static leader all game seems contradictory. (I would love to see civ switching, but I can see how that could go too far)

new civ games always take something familiar and re imagine it, so It's not something that couldn't happen. That said, I'd rather they stay with civ 6 for a bit more, go another NFP pass, rework boring areas like they did with corporations and barbarians, and add a whole bunch of civs, alt personnas and leaders.

conorbebe likes this.
  17. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

The Ages and Eras system I think does a good job at making your civ change over time at least a little bit, although it doesn't really have any unique pieces. An Aztec Monumentality era is the same as a Mongolian one. It might be too much to ask for unique attributes for every era for every civ, but you could in theory give some more feel towards the civ in question in that to make things shake up more uniquely to the civ in question through the eras.

Josephias and nzcamel like this.
  18. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Yeah, more flavour for each civ is something I'd love to see deepened, makes you hope every civ got It's own Unique governor like the Ottomans do where you could explore unique playstyles for that civ.

19. Alexander's Hetaroi

I'd love for more civs to have alternate leaders and could see a way that leaders could change such as for England you could get Elizabeth for two eras (Medieval/Renaissance), and then Victoria for two more (Industrial/Modern) etc.
    But I'm not sure how feasible it would be for all civs such as Gran Colombia, not to mention what would an Ancient/Classical leader for America or Brazil be, let alone for England? :shifty:
    Which is why even though I don't mind many different leaders you should be able to choose one for the whole game. :)

nzcamel, Kjimmet, Datgingah and 6 others like this.
  20. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

To be fair, their Leaders don't have nearly as much animation budget as Civ 6 Leaders do, as well as Civ 6 having a stick-to-one-Civ approach and Humankind having a Mayans-turning-into-Siamese approach.