Civilization 6 - hopes and ideas

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by JokerJace, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Calouste

Calouste Deity

Civ 6 should be for changing major game mechanics, and one of the things I'd like the designers to have a look at is the concept of the tech tree. It's been around in pretty much the same form since Civ 1, and maybe there is a better way to represent technological progress.

2. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

Maybe the tech tree mechanics could be changed by allowing you to research multiple techs at once, with a slider to choose the percentage of your bpt put into each tech.

3. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Prince

I think it would be fun if they came up with a different way to play as nomadic peoples like the Mongols or native Americans. I'm no good at game design, but maybe they could give those civs the ability to set up camp wherever they want, including within enemy borders, and then send hunter and herder units to harvest special resources only they can see/use. Then when these resources are depleted they go to the next spot.

It'd probably be hard to balance this against the regular city building civs, but if they could make it work I think it'd be pretty neat.

4. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

It could look like Total War and still retain the turn and tile based aspects which are the hallmarks of the Civilization series.

I never played covert action. I'll accept your word for that.

What about Sid's "Pirates!" ? There are plenty of mini-games in it, about half a dozen, or more. Wasn't it a 2005 release? It's my favorite game after Civ.

Well to me, V went tactical. It's about formations. They superimposed Panzer General on the Civ world map, but without the prepared defensive positions for the A.I., so it struggles. They made the map more natural, but without being able to stack and route, the A.I struggles to advance across the terrain in formation.

Maybe that's a problem.

What do you think is a better way of handling it?

5. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Pirates! is a fun game, and yes, it's full of minigames. It doesn't feature a single "dominant" one - ship battles and fortress invasions tend to take a minute at most so they don't really break the players' concentration from the big picture ("where was I sailing, who was I after"). The same with Civ V's combat system. There's a world of difference between a ranged attack that's just a couple of clicks and a tactical battle where you have to concentrate on something apart from your great empire for a while to get the best results. They should really tweak 1UPT though, I agree that moving troops through chokepoints is sometimes unnecessarily horrifying.

I honestly like the traditional Civ approach on combat, with the battle being simulated instead of managed by the player. Beats the Total War approach, because I don't have to juggle between grand strategy of empire and army management and petty tactics of taking over Salzburg.

6. paulcarri

paulcarri Prince

For me what i want to see most out of a civ is the ai to be as good as possible.

I dont just mean it playing civ well although bad ai has always been a problem (when bored on civ iv and deciding to quit, id occasionally open worldbuilder and it opened my eyes to how stupid the ai was with its builds etc.. and we have all seen the ai get early pyramids and go into pointless universal sufferage etc)

I mean real immersive personalities, i want to feel like im interacting with leaders- to me its all about immersion.

7. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

I would rather have the AI play better. I don't mind a little role-playing but Civ IV goes too far in that direction, the AI declares clearly stupid wars for stupid reasons like different state religions or "not adopting this civic which we think is the best". And to compensate for its poor play, it cheats.

8. paulcarri

paulcarri Prince

I want the ai to play better too...but i want to feel like im immersed in a world, not that im 'playing a game to win' hence i want friendships and alliances to feel 'real'

Perhaps co-op victory types would help.

9. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

I don't know about co-operative victories... for fixed team play maybe, but they seem to dilute the idea of victory to me. Victory is best defined and most valuable when there is only one who can get it - that's what sparks the drama of the game and makes it a race and a struggle for power.

10. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

Or hey... What if they put in a feature that allows you to create your own civilizations? Like some kind of "CivEditor" that includes a program for designing your own logo and allows you to choose the colors, Define uniques, start biases, all the city names, etc. AND, if you're really up to it, you could even create all the graphics for UU/UIs and the leader. Then just hit a button when you're done and the it's loaded into the game!

11. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

That already is in there, it's called Civilization V SDK.

12. Snes

Snes Warlord

The problem with the shift from infinite stacking to 1UPT was that they didn't increase the area in which your army could position and maneuver. There needs to be a lot more open spaces on the map for combat to get the chess-like feel that I think they were going for.

13. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

I kind of meant something with an even simpler user interface, where you don't have to write out all the XML and text files and what not.

14. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

AgressiveWimp, the simpler you want it to be the less stuff you can actually modify with it.

15. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Okay. We aren't so far apart. So let's put the Total War approach on the shelf. Let's see what we can come up with in the way of improvements to both versions of Civ stacking, movement & combat.

Improvements to the V unit action -

What would happen if instead of advancing as a skirmish line, they advanced as a column? Follow the leader style. With something two tiles ahead to scout and skirmish. Routing would not be so different from a stack for the A.I. A long column might look realistic on the map.

Improvements to the Civ IV approach.

Big stacks are no fun when they aren't yours. What could we do about it?

1) Fish in a barrel. Instead of limiting the # of units and amount of damage siege can do, increase it as the stack gets larger. The more dense the population, the harder it is to miss.

2) Penalties. A large concentrated army can't live off of the land. It needs to be supplied. Also, there is a likelihood of lice and disease. Maybe that's to be expressed as slower healing, or an upper limit on healing. Maybe an increased cost in gold, food, or hammers.

3) Loss of secrecy. Supplies moving towards it. Refugees and people who don't want o be conscripted fleeing from it. The bigger the stack, the easier it should be to see and hear of it coming.

16. George Abitbol

George Abitbol Prince

What about internal politics?

Followings the SP you picked, you could establish a senate, or an other kind of assembly, name minsiters, etc.

17. civvver

civvver Deity

I want to see civ become less gamey, like how social policies are all collect x culture to unlock this. It's not a very natural way of social and cultural progression. It reminds me of experience points in an rpg where the policies are your skills and culture is your xp. That's also why I want commerce and sliders back. A small population can way out tech a large one with proper investment and while that's sort of possible in 5 via buildings your science output is dependant directly on your population size. I want more economic options like industries that produce goods which you can sell and tax.

I also want civ to somehow implement suburbs and countrysides. I think for most of history most people did not live in large citites but on the outskirts on individual farms, estates and small villages. This is not represented well in civ at all beyond farm and mine improvements. It was somewhat represented in civ4 with towns. But I want to see it taken further where subrubs grow independatly though tied to a major city. You could have a booming suburbs with a rundown city like modern day detroit, or in medevial times a countryside full of minor lords and villages paying tribute to a large central city. Not sure how to do it exactly.

18. troublmaker

troublmaker Warlord

I'd like to see a "history" added to it. It might started as oral history and slowly migrate into written history. All of your ancient moves can be interpreted in terms of your pantheon religion as epics and as you progress through the age they become more accurate.

There could be newspaper articles in later history and scholars discussing the merits of your current action in light of constantly evolving cultural and sociological choices.

19. Cao Cao Mengde

Cao Cao Mengde Warlord

^^^^

This.

While it clearly has some faults, I would much prefer that the developers begin work on a game completely seperate from the series. Keep patching, keep updating, maybe even DLC's for Civ 5, but otherwise put the focus on a new series.

Going back to SMAC would be a brilliant idea. It's a series with a good sized fan base, and it'd be a great opportunity for the developers to start looking into new engine ideas that they might be able to implement in Civ VI. It'll be a good way to break new ground, without having to worry about making a gigantic investment.

20. Snes

Snes Warlord

I don't see much advantage to doing this. I'd rather get Bronze Working in 8 turns and Archery 8 turns after than than get them both in 16 turns. The only variation that came to my mind was splitting up individual techs by feature, allowing you to, for example, research The Wheel just enough to get to build roads before switching to Writing. You'd have to come back and finish The Wheel before you get any other features or move on to any later techs.

I'm not convinced of its potential, but it's an idea.