1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

'Civilization: Beyond Earth' announced!

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Camikaze, Apr 12, 2014.

1. bladex

bladex Emperor

from the screenshots it looks like it's just a really big mod of civ5?

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Is EUIV just a really big mod of CK2? They are both built on the Clausewitz engine....

I suspect the differences between CiV and CivBE will go well beyond what can be done with modding tools.

3. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Games are created based off of some gaming engine (usually), so technically, it's a mod of that gaming engine, but not the game itself.

4. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

I am so hyped my stomach hurts.

5. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

I've just shed a tear of joy and I'm not ashamed of it.

6. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

All Paradox Interactive's games are just bigger or smaller mods of their previous games. There are fanmade mods for EU3 that bring more new content to the game that the whole EU4 provides.

(When they refused to give me back my money for their pathetic latest game, I promised them I'll be hating on PI whenever and wherever possible.)

7. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

There are fanmade mods for CivIV that bring more new content to the game than the entire series provides.

8. Acronym

Acronym Warlord

Very excited by this news, although like others I'm somewhat sceptical about their ability to pull off the same amount of atmosphere as Alpha Centauri wonderfully captured. I love AC's references to the Jesus Incident (another Frank Herbert novel) - so at least if this is closely referencing Dune, among other sci-fi classics, that bodes well.

Immediately downloaded AC from GOG.com for a wee nostalgia trip. In contrast to other comments above, I find AC's colours quite drab, and wouldn't mind a bit more life in the game's palette. The unit customisation is also a cool idea, but got a bit confusing in AC fairly quickly with so many similar-but-slightly-different units.

I have Civ 5, but being a die-hard Civ III fan, never really got into it. I'm really hoping that CBE will be the perfect cross between Civ5 and AC, fixing the problems with each of them, but it has the potential to have all the flaws of each and lose out on the soul of both.

9. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

Yea, I appreciate C.S. Lewis, but I think you're missing his point, which is that 'adult' can be both good and a bad thing. And I think Lewis fudges his own point a tiny bit himself with his opening statement, but he's being a bit ironic because he approves the idea of 'being adult yourself'. Yet he does say 'in moderation' childhood and adolescence are healthy symptoms. Yet, 'being an adult' can mean, for instance, taking on responsibilities instead of being dependent on others to take care of you. That's a good meaning of 'adult' right? 'Being a child' can mean throwing temper tantrums instead of being civil about things. That's a bad meaning of 'child' right?

In this case, some people seem to believe that the screenshots appeal to some sense of 'more colors, more shiny things, the better,' which isn't a good way to look at art, and is sometimes a view kids have.

I don't know that I think the art is bad. It looks okay to me, it creates a good feel of an alien environment. 'Childish' is an unnecessary exaggeration. I did like the grungy, washed out look in the original Alpha Centauri game, though.

10. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

I think the problem was using the word "childish" in the first place, like trying to belittle the more colourful art style.

I think it's more: what atmosphere do you go for? The colourful look of Beyond Earth seems to aim at a sense of wonder and a certain hopefulness. SMAC's darker, washed out tones were good at giving the feel of an unrelenting alien and somewhat hostile world, something very much in tune with the fact that all factions were extremist and a dystopia (if you didn't align with their ideologies).

It's really a matter of taste and whether you hope for BE to be a hopeful, optimistic game or the alien, dystopian tone of SMAC, where the optimism was something that was underplayed and only came in with the discovery of Planet and the shot at Transcendence.

11. Dedrytus

Dedrytus Warlord

Looks like a mod. Why not :) One thing is interesting: mantle. What impact on performance will it have and will we get mantle support for civ?

12. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Professional Killjoy Moderator

If, by trolling, you mean people expressing their disappointment over recent Firaxis products, then I disagree.

People have the right to be wary of the new game given past actions by 2K and Firaxis (Releasing Civ5 in late Alpha, multiple patches to make it work...). Some people also feel that there were bad decisions made in the making of Civ5, so yes, they are wary of Beyond Earth.

Personally, I'm hoping for the best, but after being burned on Civ5, I'm waiting for reviews from the forums (i.e. not by magazine reviewers, who are paid off shills for the game companies) before I rush out and buy it.

Let's hope that Beyond Earth turns out to be what they say it will be, but I do have a right to voice my suspicion and not be "trolling".

Feel free to disagree. That's what constructive discussion is about.

Moderator Action: Please do not address trolls, report them.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

13. doriengard

doriengard Chieftain

I guess I found my excuse to get a better computer:D

14. m_dorian

m_dorian Chieftain

These are great news indeed. If the gameplay and the immersion are half as good as Alpha Centauri then it will be a worthy purchase. Awaiting more incoming info.

15. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

This certainly does have some promise. I agree with Lemon Merchant, though - it all depends on how well it's executed as to whether I'll end up buying it. I'm not a fan of several of Civ5's mechanics - 1 UPT, poor combat AI even relative to III and IV, discouragement of large empires - and whether I'll ultimately be interested depends in part on whether they change/do away with some of those mechanics.

But the concept itself sounds good.

Re: Civ6. I'm sure they'll still make it. This is essentially the equivalent of Civ4: Colonization, but with a different (and to me, more interesting) premise. It just means Civ6 is almost certainly no earlier than fall 2015.

16. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

Yea, in this case I don't think the art style deserved to be belittled. There's nothing really wrong with it. I still prefer the AC style, myself, of course, and think its appropriate and lends a lot of atmosphere.

In many cases, though, I've seen games that have made the graphics "kiddie" and deserve criticism for it.

17. wazzap

wazzap Chieftain

I hope it doesnt be like civ v. I mean that game is done after BNW. I hope Firaxis doesnt make same thing on this.

18. DST1348

DST1348 Warlord

From the screen shots, they seem to work with the CIV engine. I remember one developer (Jon Shafer himself?) saying that one issue with that engine is that it can't cope with terraforming. So I don't expect such a sophisticated system as in Alpha Centauri, which is a real bummer to me. Without it, this just looks like another mod for CIV to me.

19. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

Another thought, though, is that if they were already getting rid of the Alpha Centauri approach, it might have been fun to see a variety of different planet types, like in Deadlock/Deadlock 2.

I'm also hoping your civilization can either be dystopic or eutopic, depending on what choices you make.

20. MqsTout

MqsTout Warlord

Sadly, Firaxis and their publishers suck from the Valve teets and thus this won't be released except via Steam. Thus, it might just as well not exist, since it's DRMed for-rental-only.