Civilization: Beyond Earth fall update is now live!

I'm happy for this patch, yay patch!

But I'm disappointed they didn't tackle the core problem of CivBE: It's blandness.

Not enough different personality for the different factions, either to play with or against.
It all feels so the same.

In fairness, I don't know what they really can do about this. Civ's appeal has always been in the link to history more than the strategy or the mechanics, and moving to another setting loses that character. I found AC bland as well, and indeed more mechanics- than flavour-led iterations of the main series (as I found Civ IV to be). AC proved to be mechanically more innovative than BE; BE just feels like Civ V without the flavour.

Sadly enough no changes to victory. Contact feels so lame, with F-I you can still slingshot your way to orbital automation and win by t 200, while harmony takes up way more beakers and purity is stuck with the super overpowered one-movement settlers, that you can't drop unless on a massive map. Doesn't really fix the problem on that part of the game.
Gene gardens remain super powerful no matter what, not to mention that wonders can be ignored. And there are more problems.

In the end, the patch just tuned stuff but didn't really fix big problems other then maybe the trade routes. There are just too many things that make strategy x way better then strategy y. I hope that there will be another patch

No more FI free techs.

Sadly enough no changes to victory. Contact feels so lame, with F-I you can still slingshot your way to orbital automation and win by t 200

Note the change to F-I: you now get 1 free virtue, not one free tech.

After about 50 turns of playing...

Trade routes are nerfed hard. A typical trade route now:

<9 production
>2 food

or external...

<1 science
<2 energy
>1 science
>1 energy

They get worse than that. Those are the BEST I've seen so far using trade convoys. Based on the patch notes, I'd guess trade vessels would result in the same yields.

I misread the part about Purity 1 explorers so ignore my earlier comment.

Quests seem to work better. Though quests give crap XP now. My first quest completed was Cultural Burden (now fixed yay!) and received 5 Purity points, not even half a level. Sounds like this should scale up based on turn number. I'm curious if it would be beneficial now to not complete any affinity quests until after t100. With all quests working now though, there are more affinity quests to complete in every game so that may offset the lost XP.

I still picked artists. There just isn't enough culture sources in the game so I feel artists is required if you want virtues quickly.

I can't say much about health. I'm currently at -5 and don't feel much difference yet. I'm boxed in by Brazillia and Polystralia and stations with 3 cities so I can't REX this game unless I go to war.

I stepped down difficulty to Soyuz and can't comment on difficulty yet. It doesn't feel harder, but I was playing Apollo before. Maybe Soyuz is where Apollo use to be, but it's too early in my game to really say.

The fixes look pretty good overall, but I can't shake the feeling that some like "can't buy trade depots" and "water trade route don't get any yield bonus" are just patchwork (no pun intended). A bit sad that wonders remained untouched.

Still, I'll at least give it a shot. At the very least it's a start.

Two biggest complaints for last month were too-important TR - too powerful, makes game too easy, makes game too bland, removes strategic choice - and irrelevant health.

And they went after both in a big way.

Everything else looks like fixing parts of the game that were broken on their own terms. I mean: units that were unbalanced relative to other units, wonders that were duplicates of other wonders, affinity rewards that were too strong relative to other rewards, sponsor abilities that were too strong relative to other sponsors, etc... In effect, they did not change the relative strategic importance of sponsor choice, or buildings, wonders, or units, etc.

And I'm fine with that, because I think the community consensus was correct: OP TR swamped everything else in the game, distorting every choice. Solve that first, and then see what we've got.

As a base for new mods I like it fine -- including balance mods.

Really like the nerf to TRs, the increased health penalties, changes to the Eudaimonia virtue, sponsor changes, nerf to affinity level 4 units, increased AI bonuses and no longer immortal explorers.

Concerns: still too low affinity requirements for victory wonders, wonders generally not wonderfull and artists still slightly OP

I think it's a good patch. As was said, the main issues were the overpowered trade routes and apathy to health. These issues were fixed in a big way and they took a stab at a few more.

After about 50 turns of playing...

Trade routes are nerfed hard. A typical trade route now:

<9 production
>2 food

or external...

<1 science
<2 energy
>1 science
>1 energy

They get worse than that. Those are the BEST I've seen so far using trade convoys. Based on the patch notes, I'd guess trade vessels would result in the same yields.

Yes that's also what I'm getting. There's a big change where it seems the big city gets most of the bonus now instead of the receiving one.

Trade route overview looks buggy

In fairness, I don't know what they really can do about this. Civ's appeal has always been in the link to history more than the strategy or the mechanics, and moving to another setting loses that character.
Well, they could elaborate a bit more on the implied setting: better/more voiced quotes, better summaries, affinity-specific splash screens and similar things would go a long way - on the other hand, they probably would need a fair bit more budget for it, that's more expansion than patch material.

On the patch itself: Looks like a lot of rough edges were polished up by this patch, this will probably make it a lot more fun, especially the massive nerf to trade route will help a lot (though it looks a bit inelegant but for now it'll work, I guess).

I have two issues with this patch:

&#8226; Trade Depots can no longer be purchased with Energy.

This seems like a really arbitrary and cheap solution. Instead of cleverly reworking the whole TR system, they just took out the hammer and smashed the problem. I really hate this approach. So we have exactly one building that can't be bought?! Feels stupidly immersion breaking.

&#8226; Holon Chamber provides 3 Science, 4 Energy (was 5 Science)

Wow... there have been so many complains that almost no wonder feels powerful. This is especially a huge issue since they are often tied to techs that make no sense otherwise. And all they did is SLIGHTLY improve ONE wonder... I am not even certain this is an improvement. What about Daedalus Ladder and the other totally useless crap wonders??? This is absolutely disappointing... :mad: Still makes no sense at all to go for any wonder apart from some of the very early ones... disappointing, disappointing, disappointing... DISAPPOINTING!

Thank god they buffed Artists. :lol:
The Gods heard our prayers! :lol:

with health buffed, seems like taking Artists and going through the Prosperity tree to Eudaimonia is the optimal path to take.

&#8226; Trade Depots can no longer be purchased with Energy.

This seems like a really arbitrary and cheap solution. Instead of cleverly reworking the whole TR system, they just took out the hammer and smashed the problem. I really hate this approach.
that TD's cannot be purchased by itself changes nothing. the player would still want to max his trade routes and build TD's ASAP.

the 6 week patch is pretty weak imo.
- most wonders still need new bonuses.
- the research of techs is still guided by affinity xp.
- victories are still boring, tedious and unrewarding
- buffs to (positive) health made the Prosperity virtue even stronger :lol:

Curious how the patch affects wide (not necessarily ICS) play. Specifically, is it easier to get very high health levels with many cities than with just a few? Eudaimonia was nerfed, so that will have an effect, but is there anything else I'm missing from the notes?

Also, it seems like managing TRs is only slightly less annoying now, right? I was expecting that the refresh time would be lengthened or there'd be an option for sorting by yield or maybe even reducing trade routes per city to 1.

• Trade Depots can no longer be purchased with Energy.

This seems like a really arbitrary and cheap solution. Instead of cleverly reworking the whole TR system, they just took out the hammer and smashed the problem. I really hate this approach. So we have exactly one building that can't be bought?! Feels stupidly immersion breaking.
"immersion breaking" is a terrible argument because everyone has different interpretations of immersion.

You also can't buy the Mind Flower. Or Wonders.

My game also crashes before a new world can get loaded.
No mods, starting brand new game, trying different settings.
Deleted cache and ini-files, checked the game files with Steam. Went from Medium to Low on Video settings.
Nothing.
I get a crash-window from DirectX11, and I never get the chance to press the green GO-button.

Anyone else with problems, and how did you get back to play the Game?

"immersion breaking" is a terrible argument because everyone has different interpretations of immersion.

You also can't buy the Mind Flower. Or Wonders.

Wonders and Mind Flower I understand in my own interpretation of the game. Explain to me why exactly one profane building can't be bought with energy, among dozens over dozens of other ones. You can of course apply your own interpretation for that.

Curious how the patch affects wide (not necessarily ICS) play. Specifically, is it easier to get very high health levels with many cities than with just a few? Eudaimonia was nerfed, so that will have an effect, but is there anything else I'm missing from the notes.
Since the +1 health from artists/aristocrats was removed, it is overall a bit harder to get high positive health. Negative health, however, still seems pretty toothless, so you can still spam cities early, stabilize around (or a bit below) 0 and still have a great game.

As for the Trade Depot buying: Buy Recyclers instead. Usually cuts the time by half - not nearly as powerful, but still rush-y.

Pretty underwhelmed by the patch notes, we'll see how it plays later.

Booooo Elodie is a trash tier sponsor now. She gets what, probably 2 maybe 3 extra virtues a game? Completely pointless to pick her when those extra virtues are extremely unlikely to win you a game any faster than usual. The most important virtues come early (ex: free colonist which went untouched this patch, early +health virtues, early knowledge or industry "lol all the culture/science/energy" virtues) as they set up the late game, and at this point it looks like Barre's free OERs make him the better "cultural" sponsor option, especially now that Artists give even more culture for some bizarre reason. Elodie isn't going to be getting more than one of the important early virtues any faster than anyone else, she's just going to maybe end up with an extra virtue or two that the player didn't deem important enough to rush in the first place near the end of the game. Useless sponsor.

Trade depots can no longer be purchased with energy? How does that make sense? Lazy, lazy, lazy. If trade routes are actually being balanced there is no reason to stop trade depots from being rush purchased. At least the autoplant quest was nerfed but still, what the hell?

Still can't filter trade routes? What? How much of this game was copy-pasted from CiV, the ability to filter trade routes from that game was the one thing ctrl+c ctrl+v just couldn't accomplish? Also, would it be so hard to add an option to repeat a trade route indefinitely in the trade route overview, or add a button on the trade unit to instantly repeat last trade route? No, no it would not and I know this because there's a mod to do just that that Firaxis should have aped wholesale. I think I can safely say without hyperbole that just putting the previous route to the top is the very least that could have been done to improve the terrible trade route UI. Sigh, relying on mods to fix basic things still I see.

Was hoping for a way bigger shake-up on the techweb. Still lots of paths that aren't worth going down at all. To be fair that's a pretty big undertaking as there is a ton of work to be done on that mess, but still thought we were gonna see a bit more than we got.

Nice to see the big rebalances to units. No more "get to battlesuits/cndrs/xenoswarms, win game" is a step in the right direction. Also extremely happy to see combat rovers get their defensive bonuses taken away. No more impenetrable walls of purity +10% per unused movement rovers makes me a happy camper. Still a little concerned that battlesuits only requiring 1 titanium makes them superior to cndrs and xenoswarms though.

So, if Apollo AIs got buffed, and trade routes got nerfed, what's the timeframe for Apollo victories now? I'm going to be incredibly unimpressed if the AI is still winning anywhere from t200-250, while the player has been slowed down by the nerf to science leech (although spies look like they steal science at the same ridiculous rate, so there's that). Will not be impressed one bit if "rush academies, spam" is the new "rush autoplants, spam". Even if it isn't, if the game is still ending at these stupidly fast turn times I'm going to be befuddled by that design choice. I mean, would it really be so hard to make planetary wonders require more affinity to build to make the games last a more reasonable number of turns, and balance from there?

Edit: Right, I don't get the logic of "lets take this one extremely crappy wonder and buff it so it's only regular crappy, but lets ignore all the other extremely crappy wonders". Do all the wonders have their names in a hat, and Firaxis are gonna draw to see which wonder they buff every patch? Or did they actually say something like "New Terran Myth is perfectly balanced at +4 culture on it's own leaf tech that no one in their right mind would ever go out of their way to get except for achievement purposes, we can leave that wonder alone"? I get that wonders can't be too strong in this game, as the nature of the tech web makes it too easy to get them if you're dedicated to the idea, but come on.

Double edit: I take back the buff part about the Holon Chamber, that feels like a lateral move and nothing more. From not worth building to still not worth building doesn't qualify as a buff in retrospect.

Like I said, we'll see how it plays later but I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to be uninstalling after a couple games until the next big patch arrives. Maybe one day this game will get out of beta. :(

Top Bottom