Civilization: Beyond Earth fall update is now live!

Actually what you just said is incredibly silly. Justifying an illogical decision by saying the game is illogical in itself because it is science fiction is a very childish argumentation. By this logic one could argue, since we require a certain amount of suspension of disbelief anyway, that they could also integrate a dancing giant pikachu wearing a skirt as a military unit. You know, since spending energy on buildings is not considered immersion-breaking in the first place. By conslusion, anything goes. Incredibly stupid conclusion.
What you said is also silly. Ignoring other peoples' replies is also silly! Everyone is silly!

You've just demonstrated a strawman fallacy by use of argument to absurdity. Just because Trade Depots can now be rushed with Energy, because others can be (illogically), doesn't mean that the developers would ever implement something stupid (like your Pikachu example).

You're entitled to be upset, but if you're going to argue your stance, be prepared to make better arguments than that :p

First time in the last decade, that a new patch doesn't get me playing a game of Civ.

It is a start. Hopefully the next phase of the beta focuses on quest, wonder, building and victory balance.

I have made a preliminary check of the various changes on the quest scripts (at least those that were known to be bugged)

For those who are interested here is my report.

What you said is also silly. Ignoring other peoples' replies is also silly! Everyone is silly!

You've just demonstrated a strawman fallacy by use of argument to absurdity. Just because Trade Depots can now be rushed with Energy, because others can be (illogically), doesn't mean that the developers would ever implement something stupid (like your Pikachu example).

You're entitled to be upset, but if you're going to argue your stance, be prepared to make better arguments than that :p

I just extrapolated his argumentation. He literally said that it is okay to do something illogical, because the game already has illogical elements in it. No strawman to see anywhere for miles. Maybe it wasn't necessary to insult this point of view, but I don't think highly of this argumentation and I wasn't the first one to call something silly. So your intervention wasn't really called for. And also I didn't see you make any point at all, unlike me. Maybe start by explaining how it makes sense to you that exactly one arbitrary profane building can't be obtained by supercharging energy.

EDIT:
Balance trumps lore, yes. But again, this doesn't mean that any arbitrary decision that seems illogical lorwise should be permitted for balance reasons. Completely suspending lore in one specific decision certainly doesn't seem like the way to go.

It is a start. Hopefully the next phase of the beta focuses on quest, wonder, building and victory balance.

Ten internet dollars says the next part of the beta involves fixing trade routes AGAIN, since right now they're apparently functioning in truly bizarre ways. On track for a 2016 release of Civ: BE though, yaay?

Anyone know what they changed, difficulty-wise?

Looks like the general AI bonuses got increased for Apollo, but I don't have a handy copy of the old xml to compare with. Based on the file dates in the XML directory, most of the the tactical and strategic AI xml files did not get updated.

I think they figured that getting rid of player exploits and the broken economy was enough for now.

I'm pretty firmly on the "it's an inelegant chainsaw" side for making Trade Depots non-buyable. It's an ugly hack. Either trade routes are still OP, where making Trade Depots non-buyable won't do a whole lot, or they aren't OP, and then let 'em be purchased. Design should be going for maximal clarity; right now, "buildings are buyable, Wonders / end-game victory conditions aren't" works fine. It's certainly possible they could sell some kind of a distinction here within buildings, e.g. "All Supremacy buildings are not buyable", but "certain buildings that were too good in the previous patch are not buyable" is weird and breaks the mechanical expectation that buildings are buyable.

If they really want to nerf Depot / early cities, give Depot a prerequisite building requirement - e.g. Thorium Reactor. At least there is a strong tradition & expectation that certain buildings have prerequisites.

--

Anyway, I rambled enough on it in the "update from Firaxis Games" thread, but while this patch is an acceptable first step, I hope more are coming. Redesign the Wonders to be *interesting* (even if still weak). Throw away the current Virtues system and start fresh, and make them less bland. And most importantly of all, make the Affinities distinct & interesting such that they don't all play nearly identically. Giving a mechanical focus/style to each affinity will go far toward giving them more flavor, as well.

Anyway, I rambled enough on it in the "update from Firaxis Games" thread, but while this patch is an acceptable first step, I hope more are coming. Redesign the Wonders to be *interesting* (even if still weak). Throw away the current Virtues system and start fresh, and make them less bland. And most importantly of all, make the Affinities distinct & interesting such that they don't all play nearly identically. Giving a mechanical focus/style to each affinity will go far toward giving them more flavor, as well.

This, but I'd also add a "please bring back victory conditions other than science, science, science, science/rng or domination" footnote. I miss cultural and diplomatic victories.

I just extrapolated his argumentation. He literally said that it is okay to do something illogical, because the game already has illogical elements in it.

I don't want to speak for another poster, but I don't know if that is what Lord Shadow said. It's not that there is anything unrealistic in the game, but the fact that the system that is being "broken" (buying buildings) is in fact already unrealistic.

I actually gave some thought to coming up with an explanation behind why trade depots couldn't be bought, but I couldn't form an explanation because I don't believe that buying all buildings is very realistic anyway.

Either trade routes are still OP, where making Trade Depots non-buyable won't do a whole lot, or they aren't OP, and then let 'em be purchased.

I don't really agree with that, at least as a general principal. There are things that are not by themselves OP but their timing needs to be limited.

Anyway, I wonder if it'd be more acceptable, strategically and/or story-wise, if trade depots could only be built in cities of size 3 or more.

I don't want to speak for another poster, but I don't know if that is what Lord Shadow said. It's not that there is anything unrealistic in the game, but the fact that the system that is being "broken" (buying buildings) is in fact already unrealistic.

I actually gave some thought to coming up with an explanation behind why trade depots couldn't be bought, but I couldn't form an explanation because I don't believe that buying all buildings is very realistic anyway.

But making a causeless exception to a system is even more absurd, no matter how illogical you think the system is in the first place. Some people like SnowFire call it 'mechanical expectations'. I call it 'breaking the lore'. And again, just because the lore requires a certain amount of suspension of disbelief doesn't mean that anything goes. The lore might be illogical from a POV based in our universe. Yes. Still it should maintain it's internal logic. Fiction doesn't imply that any rule should be suspended at will. That's the difference between fiction and arbitrary nonsense. Don't you think?

Graphically, my game is running a million times smoother. I hadn't even realized how jerky some of the animations had been.

I just extrapolated his argumentation. He literally said that it is okay to do something illogical, because the game already has illogical elements in it. No strawman to see anywhere for miles. Maybe it wasn't necessary to insult this point of view, but I don't think highly of this argumentation and I wasn't the first one to call something silly. So your intervention wasn't really called for. And also I didn't see you make any point at all, unlike me. Maybe start by explaining how it makes sense to you that exactly one arbitrary profane building can't be obtained by supercharging energy.

EDIT:
Balance trumps lore, yes. But again, this doesn't mean that any arbitrary decision that seems illogical lorwise should be permitted for balance reasons. Completely suspending lore in one specific decision certainly doesn't seem like the way to go.
Sorry, missed your post.

He said it was okay to permit illogical behaviour in one aspect of the game because that aspect of the game is already illogical. You misread his intent, and extrapolated to something absurd that would never happen. That's why I called fallacy.

I joined in because I disagree with you and we already had a debate going.

It makes sense because buying building with Energy isn't a realistic in-universe action that happens within the confines of the lore. Just like purchasing items in Civilisation 5 (or rushing them in earlier Civ games) works (but makes absolutely no sense historically).

If you accept it as an in-universe event, you need to explain your reasoning - you haven't done so so far.

I'm pretty firmly on the "it's an inelegant chainsaw" side for making Trade Depots non-buyable. It's an ugly hack. Either trade routes are still OP, where making Trade Depots non-buyable won't do a whole lot, or they aren't OP, and then let 'em be purchased. Design should be going for maximal clarity; right now, "buildings are buyable, Wonders / end-game victory conditions aren't" works fine. It's certainly possible they could sell some kind of a distinction here within buildings, e.g. "All Supremacy buildings are not buyable", but "certain buildings that were too good in the previous patch are not buyable" is weird and breaks the mechanical expectation that buildings are buyable.

If they really want to nerf Depot / early cities, give Depot a prerequisite building requirement - e.g. Thorium Reactor. At least there is a strong tradition & expectation that certain buildings have prerequisites.
Making users unable to purchase a building may seem inelegant, but in fact it's a completely underused method of delaying the creation of an element in gameplay terms.

Design doesn't have to aim for maximum clarity; that's a design goal, not the design goal. Nor does this argument work when you're not complaining about Mind Stems (or w/e their name is) which are non-Wonder buildings that are also no longer purchasable.

Adding a prerequisite for the Trade Depot doesn't fix the problem of buying the building - all it does it increase the Energy needed to buy both at once. Presumably, that is the key issue here. Especially since Trade Depots provide Production, making it a very cheap instant boost to Production for a small city (I'd know, it was my go-to buying choice for any new city due to the incredibly low cost and the decent Production bonus it provides). Furthermore, the relevant Quest can also increase Energy or Production output further.

Firaxis' fix may seem inelegant to you, but you've just demonstrated with your suggestion that you don't even understand the core problem behind the building in the first place.

So, did they fix Familiar Exotics but make it buggy in the process? The quest was a mess before, requiring buildings you couldn't possibly build, asking players to build buildings they would have to spend forever and a day researching techs for, etc, but now things are a bit confusing. Purity option requires a vivarium, which is fine, but supremacy requires an alien preserve? Engineer this crop to produce more energy by building this randomly selected +culture building? Wouldn't building a thorium reactor make more sense? Dunno what the harmony option entails right now, but why do I have a funny feeling the alien preserve was supposed to be for harmony, not supremacy?

Firaxis' fix may seem inelegant to you, but you've just demonstrated with your suggestion that you don't even understand the core problem behind the building in the first place.

And I would argue that neither do Firaxis if this is their solution.

Top Bottom