1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization Board Game!!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by goldy79, May 31, 2003.

1. goldy79

goldy79 Chieftain

has anyone played it , how is it??

2. Crowpocalyptic1

Crowpocalyptic1 Warlord

No.

3. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

It's fun, but takes a while (~6 hours). Skip the basic game and go straight into the advanced. The biggest issue we had is stopping the runaway leader. A game mechanic is that you have to pay a technology owner to use the tech. What happens sometimes is that the leader is also the one who has the best military techs. This means that for every unit you build to fight him you have to pay him a cut. Ouch!

4. protoTypical

protoTypical Chieftain

I saw an ad for the board game a while back, it sounds really interesting and very confusing at the same time. I figure at least 6 hours minimum for a good game. How are the maps worked out? Just a standard map or different boards or overlays for the board. How are things like population and citizen moods and everything worked out or are they left out?

5. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

It has one huge (3x4 feet or so) map of the world. About ten pounds of units through the ages. Happiness and productivity enhancements are in the game, but it's more like you have one big city than managing each one.

6. Vandervekken

Vandervekken Chieftain

I've seen it around.
    It's a big HEAVY box, with hundreds of pieces in it. i'd like to buy it but presumably you need a bunch of civ fanatics to play it or everyone would get board,um bored. :lol:

7. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

The game was great, but as soon as my uncle and his friends and I played the long game (+6hours) they decided to never play the game untile Janurary of next year... :( :sarcasm:So that was a great investment of $60 :sarcasm:

I suggest you buy it only as long that you have people to play it ;)

8. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

Sigh, then I probably shouldn't get it. If my mom and brother hate Risk, then why would they love this?

9. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

They wouldn't. This game is like Risk on steroids. I can say with fair confidence that if they hated Risk, they'd hate the Civ board game.

10. Civrules

Civrules We the People

Why buy the Civ Board Game when You have the original computer Civ game? :confused:

:crazyeye: :sad:

11. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Ah, it took me a while to understand that you didn't talk about the Avalon Hill game. Especially after this:
    quote by warpstorm, as the AH game also has a Advanced version, which is better than the basic game. The AH game is nice, but it takes time. I don't know if it's for sale nowadays.

12. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish King

Off topic: The AH "Civilization" is out of print and is a great game.

On topic: Have played the Eagle Games "Civilization" and have to agree with most of the other posters. If you have 3 or more friends who like Risk and/or Civilization then it's a nice way to play head-to-head without a computer. If you've played Civilization then the advanced game is the only way to go but if none of the other players have played Civ then the basic game might be better.

It's nice to play face to face sometimes :D

13. Brewster

Brewster stays crunchy in milk

While the boardgame looks cool, I would rather play a hotseat game of PTW. With over 600 pieces in the game, I see a few treats for the vaccuum.

14. MadHatter

MadHatter Warlord

I've played it about 6 or 7 times and I can tell you this: it is NOT Risk. My wife hates RISK, but loves Civ:BG. If players dedicate themselves to avoiding war, it can be a great trading game. But the enticement of procuring resources by force instead of trading for them is always there...
    Granted things have been simplified from the PC game, but it is a lot more sociable than the PC game, even hotseat.

But previous posters are right, you need 4-5 players for a good game.

It is a long game, but it can end at any time and players add up their victory points to choose a winner.

15. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

Well it is a different expierience and if you wanna play with your family like I attempted then It would be cool. :D

16. CivCube

CivCube Resist.

Another advantage of the board game: no patches!

17. Thrawn

Thrawn Emperor

That is truly an advantage! :)

18. chesspatzer

chesspatzer Chieftain

Just be aware that there are two versions of Civilization board games. The original, by Avalon Hill, is a lot of fun and I would recommend it. I can't speak for the second version.

19. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish King

For the olde tyme wargamers and grognards patches were called "errata":aargh:

20. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Like I hinted earlier this board game needs a patch.