Civilization Call to Power comes to mind...

RisingSun

Chieftain
...it used to be my first Civ game and therefore my first love, so to say.

Who else believes the three new government types are "lifted" from Call to Power's

- Virtual Democracy
- Corporate Republic
- Technocracy

Call to Power did also feature one called Ecotopia, if I remember correctly. It would have been nice to see it working with GS's mechanics.

Call to power had some good ideas. It was nice to have a new take on the Civ model.

I wish another company would put out a Civ-type game. There are lots of space civs (stellaris, Gal Civ, Endless space) but nothing truly like pure Civilization since Call to Power (and CTP II).

Too bad.

Not that Firaxis is failing the Civ series I just think competition breeds creativity.

Call to Power also had rising sea levels and pollution. Are these common concept too in Civilization games?

Call to Power also had rising sea levels and pollution. Are these common concept too in Civilization games?

Well, they are a common feature in real life so it should not be surprising if more than one game about world civilizations through the ages would include them.

It also had floating cities and mechas for that matter... you know, those common features in real life. ^_^

Pollution and global warming were in Civ II, maybe Civ III as well.

Pollution was a big factor to be managed after industrialization. Industrialization was game changing back then, though, rather than incremental as it is now. So you had a huge surge in productivity, then a gradual fall off as pollution kicked in until you dealt with the blacked out splotches on your tiles.

I don't recall global warming being part of the game before. I haven't gone back to check, though, and my memory has been known to fail me.

Pollution was a big factor to be managed after industrialization. Industrialization was game changing back then, though, rather than incremental as it is now. So you had a huge surge in productivity, then a gradual fall off as pollution kicked in until you dealt with the blacked out splotches on your tiles.

I don't recall global warming being part of the game before. I haven't gone back to check, though, and my memory has been known to fail me.

Yes, it was in II and apparently I as well. If you didn't deal with pollution on the map your coastal tiles could turn to swamp, plains to desert etc. No changes in sea level though.

alpha centauri (SMAC) had changes to sea level.

alpha centauri (SMAC) had changes to sea level.

SMAC also has elevation levels: You could actually increase (or decrease) the height of tiles, with higher tiles giving you additional Energy with a solar panet.

Would also LOVE to see SMAC's Social Engineering be implemented in a Civ game somehow. It was a very clever system that gave a strict drawback to every advantage.

Haven't played CtP in a while (I couldnt get into it), but I love the way trade functioned, as well as the various Civilian units (Slaver, Abolitionist, Televangelist, Eco-Terrorist, Eden Warrior and that giant floating potato thing)

It does seem to have come CTP elements, yes. I still have CTP I (linux ver)

Managing production for stuff vs public works, entertainers, etc loved that.
Pollution was an issue until you could get to fusion to reduce it, and some very nice things to hit OTHER polluters with.
Sea cities. SOOO nice.

Once I figure a good way to capture the game, I'm gonna do a stream of it, but, the graphics are so old, OBS gets weird on it.

Oh: Leviathan. BOOM! (once it finally gets there that is) :p

I have a bad memory regarding CtP because the AI Pyramid once took 5 of my best core cities and turned them into "Barbs" :(

I have a bad memory regarding CtP because the AI Pyramid once took 5 of my best core cities and turned them into "Barbs" :(

yep, had that happen too. I stopped making that wonder. Mind you, reloading the autosave would sometimes avoid the issue for that turn.
(it's a very low chance to begin with)

Top Bottom