1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization coming to Xbox and PlayStation 4

Discussion in 'Civ 6 - Consoles' started by Ondolindë, Sep 24, 2019.

1. smvalentine

smvalentine Chieftain Supporter

If they're bundling R&F and GS for consoles, maybe there are 2 more expansions coming so they can offer another double bundle in a couple years.:mischief:
    [Edit: add the smiley I meant to include]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Deliverator and acluewithout like this.
  2. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Not 100% sure if serious but I'll take it on face value. I think another 2 expansions is wildly optimistic, to be honest. No Civ game has ever even had 3 before - and it would be difficult to see what else they could add in terms of mechanics/gameplay features.

3. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

Things are different now - past precedent doesn't really mean much and all the indications are that more content is coming for Civ VI.

Civ IV: Beyond the Sword shipped with 10 Scenarios:

* Final Frontier: A space scenario where you control a human colony and expand your territory in space.
    * Afterworld: A squad-based tactical "thriller" where the player fights undead in the X-com style.
    * Gods of Old: A scenario focused on Sumerian religion.
    * Next War: A futuristic sci-fi scenario with clone armies, cyborgs and more.
    * Charlemagne: Conquer Europe during the Dark Ages, gain the Pope's favor enough to be crowned the Holy Roman Emperor.
    * Crossroads of the World: A late medieval age scenario where you explore and conquer the crossroads of the world in Africa, the Middle East and Asia.
    * Broken Star: Civil war has struck Russia. Unite the Russian bear!
    * WWII Road to War: Atlast! Play as the Allies or Axis in both the Pacific and Europe.
    * Fall from Heaven: A popular fantasy mod for Civilization IV, improved for the expansion.
    * Rhye's and Fall of Civilization: Another improved and updated favorite among the fans' mods for Civ IV.

With a similar amount of imagination there are many, many things that could be done with Civ VI. It may not just be new mechanics for the base game but more official mods and scenarios that do new things with the base engine. With a little imagination there is loads they could do and they could be releasing stuff using the Civ VI engine for years yet.

I do think it will collected into Expansions rather than DLC because any further DLC would have to work with all Expansions or none which is quite restrictive. So I think new content will either be bundled up into Expansions or free patch updates.

Meluhhan likes this.
  4. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I do think there will be a third expansion - I just don't see there being a fourth. But let's see what's in the third first!

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I'm open minded about the possibility of a 4th. A major tell for it will be if the 3rd only has half the remaining series regular civs.

6. conorbebe

conorbebe Prince

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but on Twitter it has been confirmed that the console versions will have online multiplayer for up to 4 players, and hotseat mode for up to 12.

4 players online seems like an odd restriction as I can't really see why hardware would be a limitation here. That being said, it's still better than the nothing the Switch version has.

Personally, I'm quite excited. I'll still play primarily on PC, but the majority of my friends mainly game on console, so this is an opportunity to try the game with them. I've still got my fingers crossed for cross-play however.

7. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Prince

I guess I can understand 4 player multiplayer but 12 player hotseat? They honestly expect 12 people to sit around a TV and play Civ? I guess anything is possible.

I am very happy that we are FINALLY getting the expansions on the Switch. Vanilla feels soooo lacking after playing the expansions and I have barely touched it for that reason.

MrRadar likes this.
  8. Ruthless4u

Ruthless4u Chieftain

IIRC it may be the limit on online services. I think on Xbox you can only play with 4 or 5 others max for ex in groups or divisions depending on the game.

Could be wrong, been a long time since I grouped up with anyone.

conorbebe likes this.
  9. AtlantisAuthor

AtlantisAuthor Chieftain

Having played both Civ V for PC and Daisenryaku VII: Modern Military Tactics Exceed for the PlayStation 2 locally (my group played countless hundreds of hours of the latter; it's a tragically underrated game), turn-based titles absolutely can make for an incredible group/party experience in the same room. We never played with more than four people at once, although I'm sure Civ V or Civ VI would be awesome with more human players than that (our group often had something else to occupy the waiting players, such as a board game or another turn-based game running close by, which I highly recommend for any big get-togethers of this nature), but in practice it makes perfect sense that online wouldn't allow for more than that number, particularly on a console platform.

The reason is simple: turn-based games require down time for any player not currently taking his/her turn. Let's say you're playing a mid-game match of Civ VI or DS VII (where everyone has 50 units on the map to move/build with the latter) with four players; a typical wait time until your next turn will likely be around 10-15 minutes (5 or so for each player). PC gamers are well-accustomed to that and should have no problem with it, but in online console terms this is unheard of, as in probably considered a cardinal rule to avoid in terms of game design. This, along with the technical limitations of previous generations, is why it took so long for fully-featured 4X games (no, Civ Revolution doesn't count) to show up on consoles.

Firaxis/Aspyr would be wise to incorporate Friends lists and any other means available to help Civ VI succeed online, because this simply isn't a game you'll likely ever complete with a group of total strangers, especially the ones used to twitch responses and kill counts (admittedly this isn't a demographic who are likely to purchase 4X titles anyway, but still). Rage quits (or just a player leaving the match) are another reason they likely kept the online player count low; hopefully the game will adapt by letting the AI take over for those players when it happens.

As for 12-player local hotseat, while I don't know if anyone will ever get to try that number for reasons of both space and time (a single round of turns would take well over an hour), please keep in mind the "up to". It's always nice to have the option just in case there are extra folks present who'd like to play. Kudos to Firaxis/Aspyr if the listing turns out to be true.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Meluhhan and Haig like this.
  10. nsotos

nsotos Chieftain

I wonder if all platforms will support cross-platform saves with one another. That'd make me consider picking it up on PS4 in addition to the Switch. For trophy hunting/improved performance.

11. fantsu

fantsu Prince

Civ VI: Colonization would be nice.

12. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

You can play Civ VI PC online multiplayer with simultaneous turns and a turn timer, so you aren't waiting 10-15 minutes between turns. I would imagine the console version will be the same.

As for the hotseat limit, I'm guessing 12 is the total max major civs, each of which could be human or computer controlled.

13. DarkSoulitude

DarkSoulitude Chieftain

My first response is to get angry that, as a console player, some elitist gatekeeper is calling me and my own the lowest common denominator. Then I remember that console gamers make up the strong majority of the gaming market and just kind of feel bad for people as delusional as this guy.

Anyway, I'm excited! Emailed 2K with some questions though. Definitely want to know who is behind the port AND whether or not we will get cross-save like the Switch has.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    WillowBrook and bonafide11 like this.
  14. AtlantisAuthor

AtlantisAuthor Chieftain

The PlayStation Store listing has been updated. It now lists only 1 player, with 1-4 players via online network.

I REALLY hope this doesn't mean hotseat is (once again) getting canned for a console version, especially since Aspyr/Firaxis recently claimed the Switch version will be receiving hotseat functionality in the near future. I can't see myself playing online with anyone; my friends who own the PC/Steam version are already hard enough to coordinate with, and trying to complete a game like this with total strangers would seem to be a futile exercise. But a group session in the same room would make for an outstanding party game, and I would think there is no technical reason (especially with the PS4 and Xbox One) why they couldn't include the feature on consoles.

If you're monitoring these threads, Firaxis/Aspyr, please add hotseat functionality ASAP for all three console versions if it isn't available at launch!!!

WillowBrook likes this.
  15. Linklite

Linklite Chieftain

One of the ,main things I'm looking forward to for the Switch is hotseat, so they'd better put it in!

One possibility is that they'll put hotseat indoor the Switch since they've committed, but they might be patching it in for the other consoles at a later date.

16. DarkSoulitude

DarkSoulitude Chieftain

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/1176968723049177088

This tweet may interest and excite you my friend.

Linklite and AtlantisAuthor like this.
  17. Francel

Francel Chieftain

I have to ask, do you lose anything in console other than mods?

I have civ on pc, but also love ps4, i am asking, do you get the full base game experience? Thanks.

18. AtlantisAuthor

AtlantisAuthor Chieftain

Thanks a bunch for sharing, DarkSoulitude! That comes as a HUGE relief! Looking forward to some get-togethers for matches around the TV. :)

19. Linklite

Linklite Chieftain

I play the Switch version and can only answer for that.

Yes, there are some things that I've noticed that aren't on the Switch that are present on the PC version:

1. Red Death more (a recent addition in the September '19 update) that is a battle royale mode set in an apocalyptic future.
    2. Several maps added in the same update.
    3. Obviously the XPs are yet to come, as well as hotseat and internet based multiplayer.
    4. On a minor note, on the PC version, there is an option where geographical features are named (e.g. you can find an English Channel), this naming system is not present on the Switch so far as I can tell. If anyone does find it, please let me know!
    Obviously, 3. has been promised to be mostly remedied (I'm thinking from what's been said that internet-based multiplayer is a no-go due to certain complexities, so I'm not expecting that to ever change, though I could well be wrong).

4. is a pretty minor point, it's possible that it will be patched in (unlikely, I think it's omitted for performance issues) or it may be included in the other console versions, being more powerful, but we'll see.

1. & 2. are not things I'm sure about. I can't see why the maps won't be patched it at least, so maybe in November at the same time as everything else? As for Red Death, that's an unknown. It is specifically intended for multiplayer, so without the internet they may not bother? Or it could be that they're concerned about memory, at which point they may include it in the PS4 & XBOne release, they just need to add it to the disk? Or it might be coming in the November update. Who knows.

Of course, you also get virtually all the DLC as standard with the base game, excluding the Nubia and the Khmer & Indonesia DLCs. The XPs are pricey, but I gather that's the same on the PC too.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  20. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Good for them. No XBox Game Pass, I guess.