Civilization Eliminated - Good or Bad ?

Is High AI aggression causing elimination of other AI civilizations Good or Bad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dexters

Gods & Emperors
Supporter
So I've been noticing as I go up on difficulty this is happening more and more.

My most current immortal game saw, 4 Civs I haven't met elimited on a large map. That's something like 40% of the Civilizations on the map.

Is this a good or bad thing for the Civilization meta game as a whole? Clearly, the early attack isn't a human only thing programmed for humans, but something the AI will execute against others and it is causing a lot of Civs to get wiped out.

Is this happening? I haven't seen this happen at all aside from city states.

I think there's a nice medium in there, but I'm certainly ok with it happening more than it currently does. The map needs to change from time to time to make the game interesting.

When you get notice in the early game that "an unmet civilization has been defeated" it's usually a City-State dying either to another civ or to barbs (barbs can and do conquer, and instantly raze, city-states).

Most of the time it's a City State getting killed, yes. I have yet to see a Civ come close to eliminating another civ. Tho I did recently get killed early in the game by a stupendously bad start compounded with not using the Slingers to Archers slingshot (I was testing the theories about Chariots being superior and got completely owned by Kongo and Brazil declaring war at the same time on Turn 28). Won't make that mistake twice.

I have yet to see one AI Civ eliminate another, either. I've seen a couple capitals fall (Japan took Nidaros with Samurai in my last game!), but never a total elimination.

The AI chews up city-states at a pretty rapid pace, though. In some of my games they conquer the majority of them in the BC years. City-states really struggle to defend themselves. No early game military but a warrior or two, and they take forever to get walls up.

In all my games, AI Civs eliminate other AI civs. Usually 2-3 AI civs killed per game.

I tend to play in large or huge maps (10-12 civs), if that helps.

So far, China seems to be like South Park's Kenny...

Last edited:
One thing I think I've seen is a tendency of war winners to give their conquests back to the person they invaded. Which might make sense, except the AI rarely seems to do a slash and burn raid. They tend to invade like they plan to keep the place, and then give it right back.

I think it's okay, but I think it'd be better if they succeeded more often, and new civilizations appeared over time/split from crumbling or unstable nations, like Rhye's and Fall of Civilization, to keep the number of players from coalescing into a few select superpowers.

How good would it be if instead of cities revolting creating barbarians they made special units, who if they captured a city made a new civ - starting at the tech/culture etc level of the civ they were revolting from.

Some of my toughest games in CiV were against AIs that ate up a hemisphere before I met them. Haven't seen it yet in VI. I've only seen China eliminated so far. Twice actually, once by the Aztec and again in another game by Scythia.

I actually like seeing that notification though. It means there are CSs or Civs I can liberate to help mitigate my warmongering penalty. If I'm playing peacefully it means there will be actual competition. More often than not two evenly matched civs butting heads for centuries will cause them to fall behind so seeing a decisive victor is usually a good thing. At least to me at any rate.

well I take the diplo hit any time of the day as long as there's less fuss to be fussed about. Last night I rushed Brazil on Immortal with Teddy getting quite angry. Seeing as nobody joined the party at the time (could be I did pick a Continents map idk) I took out Teddy as well. I'm now gonna plant cities all around the place and prevent the AIs from overseas from settling.

Long story short, yes, you should eliminate AI civs, it's totally worth it and besides, the agenda system is kind of goofy so you will be hated regardless, might as well give them a real reason

It's usually city states, which I find less than ideal. On the other hand, I'd like to see this happen MORE with major Civs. Maybe it's because I'm only playing King difficulty, but the AI tends to be fairly deadlocked and struggles with taking cities from other civs. I'd definitely like to see them wipe each other out some.

Its all good, let them fight.

But, I'd like liberation wars to be a thing the AI is willing to do too. The diplomatic benefits should be mind-boggling good with the resurrected AI, and there should be a general positive diplomatic modifier with everyone but the invasor.

Aye, IMHO it is a good thing that the AIs can wage war among themselves, even to the point of elimination
That gives you more of a feeling to be embedded in a network of competing civilizations and also provides you with stronger (possible enemy) AI civs (as the surviving/victorious civs in AI wars will, quite naturally, get an increase in power)

It's almost always city states. But I did see Spain eliminated on the inland sea map. I was surprised, the first time I seen an AI civ eliminated that I knew about. He was sandwiched in between Russia, Saladin, and China. China got the kill.

I'm playing on King mostly and every game there have been at least 2 AIs taken out by other AI. They're kind of like piranha, once one weakens them up the others sweep in to gobble up the remnants

Top Bottom