Civilization Groups - addon/modmod for Really Advanced Setup

mscibor

Chieftain
Civilization Groups - addon/modmod for Really Advanced Setup

This mod is an addon/modmod for Really Advanced Setup and it requires Really Advanced Setup in order to work. It allows to define groups of civilizations and set maximum allowed number of civilizations for given group (implements idea mentioned here).

Download:

Version 1 (compatible only with Really Advanced Setup v13):

Version 2 (compatible only with Really Advanced Setup v13):
Dropbox
Steam Workshop
Changes:
- Group name max length changed from 15 to 25.
- Corrected bug which was breaking mod when modded civs were no longer enabled during mod selection​

Version 3 (compatible only with Really Advanced Setup v13 and v14):
Dropbox
Steam Workshop
Changes:
- Added support for RAS v14​

Version 4 (compatible only with Really Advanced Setup v14 and v15):
Dropbox
Steam Workshop
Changes:
- Added support for RAS v15​

Usage:

• Please note that all groups has to be created manually.
  • Civilizations disabled in Map panel are still visible in CivGroups panel, but will not be used in game.
  • You can create group for one country with different leaders. For example: group "France" with Napoleon and Louis XIV and set max number to 1, then only one civilization from group "France" will be allowed.
  • You can create group "Europe" and set max number to 2, then only 2 civilizations from group "Europe" will be allowed.
  • Civilizations can be assigned to more than one group at the same time. For example Napoleonic France can be in group "France" (with max number 1) and in group "Europe" (with max number 2). In that case when Napoleon will be drawn, then no more civilizations from group "France" will be allowed and only one more civilization from group "Europe" will be allowed.
Known issues:

• List of civilization groups is not sorted. This is strange, but I cannot make this list to be sorted using the same method as list of civilizations.
  • Only English language is supported for GUI elements.
  • I have no idea how this looks like on resolutions other to 1366x768, so if you have any issues please report.
Debugging:

If you want to check if algorithm works correctly for you, please check logs (after game creation) for string "CivGroups". You should find something like this:
Spoiler :
Code:
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: Europe, civ: CIVILIZATION_DENMARK, status: civ accepted (group not yet used)
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: Iran, civ: CIVILIZATION_DURRANI_LS_MOD, status: civ accepted (group not yet used)
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: Middle East, civ: CIVILIZATION_DURRANI_LS_MOD, status: civ accepted (group not yet used)
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: Natives, civ: CIVILIZATION_IROQUOIS, status: civ accepted (group not yet used)
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: East Asia, civ: CIVILIZATION_RYUKYU, status: civ accepted (group not yet used)
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: Africa, civ: CIVILIZATION_NUBIA, status: civ accepted (group not yet used)
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: Egypt, civ: CIVILIZATION_NUBIA, status: civ accepted (group not yet used)
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: Natives, civ: CIVILIZATION_HAIDA_MOD_LS, status: civ accepted (max number of civs from group not yet choosen)
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: Natives, civ: CIVILIZATION_DENEFIRSTNATION, status: civ rejected (max number of civs from group already choosen)
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: India, civ: CIVILIZATION_CHOLA, status: civ accepted (group not yet used)
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: Natives, civ: CIVILIZATION_INCA, status: civ rejected (max number of civs from group already choosen)
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: Iran, civ: CIVILIZATION_SELEUCID, status: civ rejected (max number of civs from group already choosen)
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: Islamic, civ: CIVILIZATION_MOROCCO, status: civ accepted (group not yet used)
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: East Asia, civ: CIVILIZATION_VIETNAM, status: civ accepted (max number of civs from group not yet choosen)
 AdvancedSetup: CivGroups: civ group: Colonials, civ: CIVILIZATION_CHILE, status: civ accepted (group not yet used)
Screenshot:

Spoiler :

Credits:

• General Tso - for Really Advanced Setup mod
  • whoward69 - for excellent tutorials about modding
Please feel free to write any feedback :)

Attachments

• CivGroups.jpg
    CivGroups.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2,912
Could you make default groups based on the ArtStyle?
ARTSTYLE_ASIAN
ARTSTYLE_BARBARIAN
ARTSTYLE_EUROPEAN
ARTSTYLE_GRECO_ROMAN
ARTSTYLE_MIDDLE_EAST
ARTSTYLE_POLYNESIAN
ARTSTYLE_SOUTH_AMERICA

Modded civs would have assigned themselves one of the art styles too, so it seems a good starting point. It could either come up that way first (requiring you to delete them if you want to start over with totally custom groups), or there could be a Use Geographical Groups button to add all of the groups with the default assignments.

EDIT: Maybe you could also compare the ArtStylePrefix to determine whether a ARTSTYLE_MIDDLE_EAST is AFRICAN or MEDITERRANEAN, to split up a Middle Eastern and an African group [never mind, that would make Babylon and Assyria the only "Middle Eastern" civs].

Could you make default groups based on the ArtStyle?
ARTSTYLE_ASIAN
ARTSTYLE_BARBARIAN
ARTSTYLE_EUROPEAN
ARTSTYLE_GRECO_ROMAN
ARTSTYLE_MIDDLE_EAST
ARTSTYLE_POLYNESIAN
ARTSTYLE_SOUTH_AMERICA

Modded civs would have assigned themselves one of the art styles too, so it seems a good starting point. It could either come up that way first (requiring you to delete them if you want to start over with totally custom groups), or there could be a Use Geographical Groups button to add all of the groups with the default assignments.

EDIT: Maybe you could also compare the ArtStylePrefix to determine whether a ARTSTYLE_MIDDLE_EAST is AFRICAN or MEDITERRANEAN, to split up a Middle Eastern and an African group [never mind, that would make Babylon and Assyria the only "Middle Eastern" civs].
I actually was thinking about some kind of default groups, but my idea was to create some default groups by name and each mod developer could assign its civilizations to some group. But creating default groups basing on art style seems as better idea.
I think I will implement this in next version (unless somebody will find some big disadvantages or better idea) :)

Testing this right now!... So, you got a Typo on the Create or Update Civ Group interface (Goup Name)

I added link to Steam Workshop and updated Dropbox link with new version (this new version is still version 1 - I only corrected typo mentioned by Leugi).

I attempted to use this to set some groups, but I could not get the Groups tab to appear in the Advanced Startup menu. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Also, just out of curiosity, does the list of groups carry from game to game, or will it need to be reconstructed each time? What happens to modded Civs that don't get picked (I presume they just stay activated, but just want to be sure)?

I attempted to use this to set some groups, but I could not get the Groups tab to appear in the Advanced Startup menu. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Several people already reported that but to be honest I have no idea what is wrong :confused: Even if some error occurred during mod loading than tab itself still should be created...
Did you try cleaning cache? If you tried and it is still not showing, could you please provide Lua.log?

Also, just out of curiosity, does the list of groups carry from game to game, or will it need to be reconstructed each time?
List of groups (and its contents) are saved and carry from game to game :)

What happens to modded Civs that don't get picked (I presume they just stay activated, but just want to be sure)?
What do you mean by "modded Civs that don't get picked"?
You mean modded civs which are no longer enabled during mod selections? In that case whole CivGroups mod will break :) This will be corrected in version 2 which will be released very soon.

So, it looks like Really advanced setup recently updated to v14 and not the groups add on won't let me activate it. Says it's missing the required dependencies.

Any plans on an update? or should i just roll back to v 13?

I was not aware that RAS was updated :)

Currently Civ Groups works only with RAS v13.
I will check what changed and I will try to update Civ Groups soon.

I just updated mod to support RAS v14.
Thankfully there weren't many changes in RAS v14 that affected code in Civ Groups.

I have the latest version of both RAS and this add-on (v. 14 and v.3 respectively), and the add-on doesn't show up at all in the RAS screen. I've tried it with only those two mods enabled and it still didn't work... any idea what might be happening there ?

I have the latest version of both RAS and this add-on (v. 14 and v.3 respectively), and the add-on doesn't show up at all in the RAS screen. I've tried it with only those two mods enabled and it still didn't work... any idea what might be happening there ?
I had the same issue when I tested version 3, but in my case cleaning cache helped with the issue.
Did you try cleaning cache?

Top Bottom