1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization II MGE User Interface Additions (CIV2UIA)

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by FoxAhead, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Blake00

Blake00 Chieftain

Nice work mate. Now it starts even when BiglyBT is running. :)

And I too experienced issues with cities containing heaps of units but forgot to report it so thanks for fixing that too! :)

2. FoxAhead

FoxAhead Chieftain

New version 1.12 (build 63).
    The author of civ2patch project @deeves updated his fix for CPU usage.

Hi has added options for CPU throttling
    • Implemented a backoff to periodically increase the message wait timeout.
    • Exposed configuration to tweak CPU usage to accommodate different types of computers.

Download
    https://github.com/FoxAhead/Civ2-UI-Additions/releases/tag/v1.12

@deeves, thanks! and welcome back to CFF! :)

3. mayford

mayford Chieftain

Greetings!
    Does your patch solve the problem of limiting the number of cities to 254 units?

4. FoxAhead

FoxAhead Chieftain

No. City ID is one byte variable in most of structures like HomeCity in Unit structure for example. I think it is the same for trading routes and many other uses. So that is why number of cities is limited to no more than 0xFF. Changing this means changing all that dependent structures and places in assembler code. Moving the place of storage for Cities array in memory to another wider place. Changing save format and rewriting Save/Load procedures. So it is more about rewriting the whole game rather than "patching".

5. mayford

mayford Chieftain

:sad: ToT has a patch that fixes this problem.

6. ArcherHombre

ArcherHombre Chieftain

I would like to share my experiences using the Civ2UIA project on Fedora 28 Linux in Wine.
    I need to examine the exact wine version, but I remember that I have it configured to act like Windows 7 32-bit, and the game was MGE 5.4.0f (Patch 3)

First of all, this project is amazing! Thank you so much for writing it and bundling it all together, and for letting it be free and open source.

1. Middle mouse support works as described!
    2. Scrollbar in unit popup works.
    3. Work accumulation counter works.
    4. Click bounds seemed to line up visually, and I only vaguely remember the improper bounds from the past. So let's go with, it works!
    5. Turn counter visible. I guess modern gaming mechanics have spoiled us. This is the sort of thing that should have been in the game from the very beginning.
    6. Beaker count visible. An incredibly useful feature!
    7. Did not test.
    8. Works.
    9. Did not test.
    10. Works
    11. Works! This is another really handy feature.
    12. Did not test. I was using the 32-bit Wine
    13. Did not test. Believe it or not, but I actually still have my real MGE CD!
    14. Did not test multiplayer.

civ2patches that I tried:
    * AI hostility. I confess it's been a while since my last 2.42 game (or otherwise non MGE) or even MGE game, but they did seem a little less hostile than normal.
    * Map size limit. I could not get this to work in the game, when trying to specify a map size. Perhaps it's meant to be used only in the map editor.

7. FoxAhead

FoxAhead Chieftain

@ArcherHombre thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you liked this project.
    About the size of the map, and how did you understand that it does not work? This is about starting a new game through the "Customize World" option and selecting "Custom" size. There despite the text saying
    "Rule: X times Y must be no more than 10,000 and no less than 1000.
    Each dimension must be at least 20, no more than 250."
    you should be able set values up to those you set in launcher options.

8. ArcherHombre

ArcherHombre Chieftain

Thank you for the response! I tried the custom map sizes after re-reading the limit of the total size. I was able to set individual values above 250, however a few quick experiments showed that the "MapSizeLimit" in the ini file was not always followed, and actually a 400x84 was accepted (but errored out) with a MapSizeLimit of 32767.

9. lerny_42

lerny_42 Chieftain

Thank you for this wonderful program. It greatly helps new users like me in getting the game to run on modern systems.

I have had a couple of problems with it, but before I mention them, I just want to make sure the installation method for this program on Win 7 64-bit is:

1. install the game from Civ 2: MGE cd-rom like usual.
    2. install the official patch (civiimge_uccupdate3.exe)
    3. extract this program (Civ2UIA.v1.12.0.63.zip) to the game directory and always start the game with "Civ2 with UI Additions.exe"

Issues:

1. clicking Advisors --> Consult High Council changes the current music track instead of showing the Advisors where they used to give video feedback.

2. No intro movie? Starting the game with Civ2 with UI Additions.exe goes straight to the main game menu instead of displaying the intro movie with the Microprose logo and such.

Do I need to install some modern version of indeo video codecs?

3. Wonder movies? I have the setting 'Wonder Movies' checked on under Graphic Options, but still no wonder movies play... might this be related to the previous problem with codecs ?

I don't know if you do any feature requests, but in case you do, I would just like to mention a couple of things.

Feature Requests:

1. Lock each window in the game interface.

One of the most annoying things is when you accidentally move (with the mouse) the main Game Window, or the Status Window, or the World Map window from their default positions. You then have to end up spending time unnecessarily placing them back in their original position. Would it be possible to have them "locked" to their original default positions?

2. Combine all music tracks from all Civ 2 games (Civ2 Classic, Civ2 Conflicts in Civilization, Civ2 Fantastic Worlds, Civ2 MGE, Civ2 Test of Time)

According to this site, there is no Civ2 game disc that contains all the tracks from all Civ2 games. You would have to insert the Fantastic Worlds disc, for example, if you want to hear soundtracks that are not listed in MGE.

I guess my question is, would it be possible to copy all tracks from all Civ2 games to a custom 'Music' folder (in something like MP3/FLAC/WAV format), and have the game play from this folder instead of from the disc?

Thank you in advance for any answers.

10. lerny_42

lerny_42 Chieftain

Just want to follow-up and provide an update to one of my problems regarding intro movie playback.

So I tried installing the Indeo Video codec (version 5) and ffdshow codec as mentioned in some of the other threads on this topic. It didn't work. But I did download the K-lite codec pack and enable Indeo v4 in its settings. Now the Intro & Wonder movies play fine.

As another feature request, since multiple users are having this same problem according to the threads, would it be possible to have this codec-enabling feature integrated directly in your Civ2UIA tweak? It would also prevent unnecessarily downloading other external third party programs (which may contain adware or such) just to enable this codec. Thank you sincerely.

[edit] Sorry, just wanted to add one more request. I notice the music track pauses when you access certain features like when consulting High Council or talking to other leaders. This is good. But once you return back to the game, instead of continuing where it left off, it moves to the next track. Would it be possible to have it continue from that point where it left off?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  11. FoxAhead

FoxAhead Chieftain

@lerny_42, thank you for feedback and suggestions! I believe all features you requested are possible to implement. It is all just question of free time. It could take several months or even half-year. That is why I made this project open source - so everyone could contribute. There are already some feature requests in the Issues section at github. BTW they concern movies window size and music playback from folder.

Concerning video playback, besides activating Indeo 4 codec, remember to turn off No-CD feature ("Disable CD check").

12. lerny_42

lerny_42 Chieftain

Ah yes, thanks. I forgot to mention that I did figure out to turn it off while experimenting with the video settings.

And I completely understand about free time. Even if you don't have the time to implement such features, I thank you regardless for everything you've done so far. I wish I had the technical ability to contribute but programming is beyond my level, not to mention getting to even know the in-game mechanics. :)

[edit] Oh, i forgot to mention one odd behavior regarding music playback. Sometimes, very randomly, some track would play for 1-2 seconds, and then bizarrely switch to the next track. I have no idea why this happens. I don't try to access any game feature, I simply stare at the screen, yet somehow the music track gets disrupted...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  13. mayford

mayford Chieftain

Hello! Is it possible to bypass the limit on the number of units in the game?

14. FoxAhead

FoxAhead Chieftain

Not for this project. As I described earlier, some limits are strictly related to the location of data in memory. This is a task of a different level and effort. It's more about completely decompiling the game and rebuilding it into a new port.