1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization II MGE User Interface Additions (CIV2UIA)

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by FoxAhead, Oct 18, 2017.

1. FoxAhead

FoxAhead Warlord

Be sure that "Fix multiplayer" option is enabled and turn off "Fix CPU Usage" option - it has some issues with multiplayer.

2. Dbuck12118

Dbuck12118 Chieftain

That worked beautifully! Thank you for your endless devotion to this timeless masterpiece. Will be teaching my son how to play in the weeks to come.

3. Kaiser0985

Kaiser0985 Chieftain

Remove the CPU FIX option from the Launcher when playing in multiplayer.

4. Kaiser0985

Kaiser0985 Chieftain

It works 100%!

5. usig00

usig00 Chieftain

Is there a way to increase the maximum unit count like the civ2Unlimited patch?

6. FelipeCG

FelipeCG Chieftain

That's a big coincidence. I came here to ask exactly this.

7. mayford

mayford Chieftain

Why does your masterpiece have no option to increase the units up to 32000? Even in ancient Civ2Unlimited it is present and works.

8. FoxAhead

FoxAhead Warlord

New version 1.15 (build 67).
    1. Added experimental section with an option UnitsLimit. It is possible to extend this limit up to 32767 units now.
    2. Set FormMain position to poScreenCenter instead of poDesktopCenter. Should help in case of multi-monitor setups.
    Download
    https://github.com/FoxAhead/Civ2-UI-Additions/releases/tag/v1.15

9. mayford

mayford Chieftain

It works! The message that it is impossible to create new units is gone. Thank you so much! :thumbsup:

10. Scatha

Scatha Chieftain

When settlers/engineers are working they display how much work they have done. Is there a way to reverse that to show how much work is yet to be done? i.e. run from 10 to 0 instead of 0 to 10.

11. FoxAhead

FoxAhead Warlord

I think no. Because it is work accumulator that unit is holding. So you can give engineer a task to raze a mountain, wait until it reaches 58 and then wake him for a walk. And he still will have these 58 points, so you can bring him to another tile and build anything you want just immediately. Just read those two links from the first post to get the idea of using this accumulator and working with multiple engineers at once.

12. Scatha

Scatha Chieftain

Thank you FoxAhead. I'm understanding what's going on now.

13. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

I'm not sure how difficult this is, but I'd like to suggest a patch along the lines of Test of Time Patch Project DirectShow sound:

Code:
    Uses DirectShow for sound playback, supporting numerous file formats. Requires DirectX9.

Files in the main "Sound" folder have hard-coded filenames, so they still need the wav extension, but can be reencoded as mp3 for example. Unit sounds can be configured in RULES.TXT, so their filenames are free-form.This is also the case for the PlayWaveFile event. Only looping sounds (only menuloop.wav AFAIK) cannot be reencoded, since not all file formats support seamless looping.

The reason is that when using Linux and Wine, there is a 'popping' noise when sounds are played, but the DirectShow patch fixes that. (I double checked by turning the patch on and off.) Such an addition should allow MGE to be run on Linux equally well as Test of Time is.

14. Blake00

Blake00 King Supporter

I'm sure I've said this earlier in the thread over the years but you really are 'da man' @FoxAhead . Thank you so much for what you've done for this community with your excellent programs. I'm gonna be finally releasing my Civ2 on modern machines tribute video in the near future and your work gets big praise in my video!

Interesting! I've also experienced some strange sound issues over the last year except in my case certain sounds would seemingly randomly stop working. Eg the little tune that would play when starting a scenario and the emotion/reaction tunes in diplomacy. Then they'd just start working again. Files were still there and working fine (eg I played them outside of the game to make sure all was well) nor was I messing with the files in any way. They just stopped working for 6mths and then started working again for no obvious reason haha. Wasn't a total sound failure as I'd still get unit sounds and menu music etc however I believe @Metro Polis has no sounds at all on his install despite having all the sound files.

So I wonder if switching to DirectShow for sound playback might solve some of these weird little sound gremlins too!