Civilization II MGE User Interface Additions (CIV2UIA)

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by FoxAhead, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Kaiser0985

Kaiser0985 Chieftain

On some win10 version the game get stuck the first time you launch it.
    If you go on the task manager, you will see civ2.exe running even if you never player it.
    Just kill the process and run it again, it will work.

2. Taylor1985

Taylor1985 Chieftain

Thanks for the advice but I'm afraid civ isn't running in task manager for me to kill it.

3. Blake00

Blake00 King Supporter

Hopefully you looked in exe processes and not just running apps.

Not sure if this is the right place since if a Civ2 install doesn't launch at all due to a pre-existing issue then I'm not sure if Civ2UIA will magically change that and there are a number of Civ2 on Win10 threads elsewhere on this forum with lots of interesting discussions and possible solutions, but it's not my thread so maybe Fox is fine with it.

Either way I still use Windows 7 so I'm not much help with Win 10 stuff but if all else fails and no one here can help you then you could instead setup a VM with VirtualBox and a Windowx XP iso (search for iso on google) and then once setup you can mount your Civ2 cd or iso as the cd drive in the virtual machine and bang.. you're playing Civ2 just fine. I run Civ2 on my main OS but when I was having some problems and bugs caused by Civ2UIA a few years back (Fox has since fixed them) I ended up doing the above and it worked great. I still keep that Civ2 VM install for testing stuff (eg old 16bit fan made editors and special scenario exe's for Civ2), and I always play Civ1 for Windows and Colonization for Windows on the same VM.

Anyway.. @FoxAhead I keep forgetting to post this but if you're taking 'fan wish list' items then as well as the ToTPP Directshow sound patch @Prof. Garfield suggested earlier in this thread to fix some of the audio issues, it would also be super cool if mp3 music functionally was added too like Garfield does in his excellent TOTPP Custom Music Patcher. That way MGE users could put music from vanilla, CiC, FW, that didn't make it into the final MGE all back into the game and even chuck in the cool bonus ToT tracks too if they wanted as well as any other music they want of course, and presumably a lot of Garfields work would be transferable. Purely dream wish list stuff though as obviously most of us just turn off the cd music and play mp3s in media player anyway haha.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  4. Taylor1985

Taylor1985 Chieftain

I looked at all exe processes and couldn't see civ 2 running. It goes through the motions as looking like installing then nothing. Changes my resolution briefly then just back to desktop. I've read hours of threads and forums including here and reddit and nothing. Closest I could find to my issue was to run in safe mode so that will be my next move. If all else fails I will attempt to run with virtualbox, although my first attempt at that didn't go as the YouTube guide said it should. My iso file for xp didn't match what was in the guide. I will keep trying though as I'm desperate to get playing again. Thanks for the advice

5. Taylor1985

Taylor1985 Chieftain

One step further in safe mode and running as administrator. Tried a scan as suggested by YouTube but no violations found. Guess it's on to researching this issue further

Attached Files:

6. Taylor1985

Taylor1985 Chieftain

So after a week of trying I am finally playing :) managed to get it sorted. Thanks to those for the advice but my issues were something different. After hours of reading I am back playing my favourite ever game

7. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

I have tested that in my version the option to check cd does not work - I guess I had to replace civ2.exe with no-cd version and left no backup. Is it possible to make the option override the choice in .exe or to make the civ2 check videos in a folder on drive (so I can copy them and not bother with cd at all)? [EDIT]: I managed to solve the problem.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  8. ew3rivera

ew3rivera Chieftain

How do I fix this? multiplayer gold edition 5.4.0f (patch 3) error. Thanks in advance.

9. The Revan

The Revan Chieftain

@FoxAhead I successfully installed your Civilization-II-64-bit-Editbox-Patcher, but when I tried to install this program, I got an error message. I even tried it on a clean install with only the 1.3 patch. I also ran it in admin mode as well. The error is message is:
    Error: ReadProcessMemory: 299

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

10. The Revan

The Revan Chieftain

Nevermind I figured it out. Disabling the no CD patch in the options fixed it

11. The Revan

The Revan Chieftain

I guess i spoke too soon. When it worked I played for awhile then saved,quit, and shut down my computer. Later I tried to launch with the your .exe and it had the same error:
    Error: ReadProcessMemory: 299
    I looked at the options and the no CD patch was not selected. I can not think of anything else I did differently.

12. FoxAhead

FoxAhead Warlord

Please, zip and share your Civ2 folder for analysis. You can remove some folders to reduce size (for example SCENARIO, Sound etc.).
    Also provide some system information: Windows version (Win-R, winver), antivirus software, game installation path. May be some screenshots.