[Civ2] Civilization II MGE User Interface Additions (CIV2UIA)

It was a change in unit behavior in the last update of the MGE UIA mod that I installed - "need to edit the game code" doesn't follow.
I have no UIA patch, just on version 5.4.0f, ground units can attack depending on the moves and the amount of damage ... let's wait what the UIA author says

I don't like when a howitzer, or any two-or-more-move unit, automatically attacks the second time. In the original, and the first version of the mod I installed, I had the choice not to. That was better.
Yes this is option
Don't break unit movement on ZOC (zone of control). If unit has 'Go To' order, it doesn't stop when entering ZOC. Of course, the ZOC rule still applies. Originally, this behavior was applied only for role 7 units (Caravan, Freight). Be careful with this option, the unit will only stop when it breaks the ZOC rule or runs out of movement points. That is, for example, a unit directed at an enemy city will continuously try to enter it, attacking the defenders. Or attack an enemy unit suddenly emerging from the fog of war.
The original game relies on ZOC to break 'Go To' order. With this new option turned on (in-game Menu - UI Additions - Settings) when you use 'Go To' order for attacking with multi-move unit, it will try continuously enter target square until running out of movement points or losing/winning.
I added this option when I got tired of pushing units through enemy territory. For example, a spy or a plane, who ignores ZOC, constantly stops near enemy units. Or an attacking unit that can pass by respecting the ZOC rule also stops constantly when facing enemy units.
Yes, this option still need to be improved. There are some bad behaviors such as multi-attacking. If you feel uncomfortable with current implementation you can switch this off.
I bet everyone does.
Nope :) Never did that. My OCD is to reduce the width of the status bar until the font switches to the smaller of the three variants. And then to adjust other two windows. For that I added 'Arrange Windows S' in the Menu - View. The other 'Arrange Windows L' is a larger variant. In both variants the height of the World (minimap) window is adjusted to get the best maximum zoom while not to shorten the status bar too much.
-And it's frustrating, while maximizing the size of the main window, that you can't move two or three border pixels off the top of the screen and twelve off the bottom. (The right column is, other than the top three pixels, fine, as the worldmap doesn't display at a useful size any smaller than I have it, so the Status box taking up more room than it needs seems unavoidable.)

So how about a Maximize Windows button in the View menu? No borders to the windows at all...
So apparently your problem is the small screen resolution. So you're trying to win even a few pixels hiding window borders and titles.
I think it can be done, although it may entail several problems. Nevertheless, I will add this to the already rather big TODO list.

The menu option works, thank you. I frequently find myself needing to destroy the garrison of a base I don't want to actually take - or when I have enough attack options, I like to take one shot and return the unit home, rinse and repeat.

For the windows, put it down to pedantry and a 58 year-old's failing eyesight...

Now that I know the 'Don't break ZOC' option is there and I've played a week using the turn off/on option, I have to congratulate you, Fox - I always thought it stank that Spies had inferior ZOC passing to Freight, for instance. Good job. Odd that I hadn't noticed how much nicer non-combat maneuvering was now.

-Could I get you to flog your mod here https://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?board=36.0 a little? Please?

C2MGEUIA.png

A little token of thanks.

I have the Civ II MGE from the Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles edition. The civ.exe file is 1,925 kb. So Civ2UIALauncher.exe won't work. Any suggestions? The error I get is: Error: Wrong size of game exe file. Game version Multiplayer Gold Edition 5.4.0f (Patch 3) supported only.

I have the Civ II MGE from the Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles edition. The civ.exe file is 1,925 kb. So Civ2UIALauncher.exe won't work. Any suggestions? The error I get is: Error: Wrong size of game exe file. Game version Multiplayer Gold Edition 5.4.0f (Patch 3) supported only.

Thank you, FoxAhead! I ran civiimge_uccupdate3.exe, then added Civ2UIALauncher.exe and Civ2UIA.dll to my directory.

I notice that when running without a cd in the drive, there's no background music. Is that normal?

Thank you, FoxAhead! I ran civiimge_uccupdate3.exe, then added Civ2UIALauncher.exe and Civ2UIA.dll to my directory.

I notice that when running without a cd in the drive, there's no background music. Is that normal?
Music comes off the CD. Like Quake 1, Redneck Rampage and many other games of the time.
Track 1 of the CD has game data, and the rest of the tracks hold the music.

Seems weird that we can't get the music and any other cinema to play these days without the cd. I'm not a SW engineer, but if it was an RF problem, I could lend a hand!

SMACX will play whatever music CD happens to be in the drive -one day I suddenly found myself playing to Fleetwood Mac- that would be a nice option for II, but you could already throw on some Wagner playing in the background without the game being fiddled...

Seems weird that we can't get the music and any other cinema to play these days without the cd. I'm not a SW engineer, but if it was an RF problem, I could lend a hand!
You can run videos off the hard drive if you transfer their folders off your civ2 cd into your civ2 install folder. However there's no solution for the music with MGE and I'm not sure if Fox plans to implement mp3 support into Civ2UIA. The similar ToTPP tool for Test of Time supports mp3 tracks instead of cd for this so it's certainly technically possible for MGE too, but probably a chunk of work!

Has anyone gotten:
Error: ReadProcessMemory: 5

Trying to run on Win 10 VM and get that error. The non launcher patch worked and was running.

Couldn't get lady's Win7 desktop to launch the game using the same x64 bit FoxAhead patch, game would pop up sometimes in task manager just briefly but never saw anything on screen. Tried the UI launcher on that one, works. They can't seem to join mulitplayer game though, assume its because game is slightly different between the x64 patch and the UI launcher. Tried the UI launcher on the Win10 VM so they would be running the same one, no joy, get that error above.

1676578125455.png

*Update

Was able to get it running on VM Win 10 - seems to have a funky time with the file path / file name. If I copied the .exe and use that w/ a diff file name it loaded. Oddly a totally diff issue on the lady's system. The first time I ran the UI launcher was off a thumb drive to see if it would work and it did. But then when I copied that same folder to C it didn't work? Then I copied that same folder again to another partition on the machine, and from there it does launch. ??? Odd.
Now I tried to run a multiplayer game and she could join but it seems to poop out on Building World and doesn't go anywhere.

Update 2
Ok wow it did start it just took forever. Moves very slow. I assume that sooner or later that I will encounter some network errors as it seems that others have.
Wondering if just running an XP VM is a better way and may move faster and be stable and smooth to play multiplayer lan?

Last edited:
Ok wow it did start it just took forever.
Yeah for the last few years I've had this huge delay that lasts about whole friggin minute (wish I was exaggerating lol) when I start CivUIA on my Win 7 machine. I reported the issues aaaaaages ago in this thread and Fox explained the reason for it (it's looking on the net for something I think, I can't quite remember) but sadly couldn't do anything about it, so I've just put up with it all these years lol. When I know I'm gonna play Civ2 I just start his launcher 5 mins earlier so that by the time I'm ready to play Civ its already started up and ready to go. I just try to work around it as best as I can for the greater good.

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten:
Error: ReadProcessMemory: 5

Trying to run on Win 10 VM and get that error. The non launcher patch worked and was running.

Couldn't get lady's Win7 desktop to launch the game using the same x64 bit FoxAhead patch, game would pop up sometimes in task manager just briefly but never saw anything on screen. Tried the UI launcher on that one, works. They can't seem to join mulitplayer game though, assume its because game is slightly different between the x64 patch and the UI launcher. Tried the UI launcher on the Win10 VM so they would be running the same one, no joy, get that error above.

View attachment 654153

*Update

Was able to get it running on VM Win 10 - seems to have a funky time with the file path / file name. If I copied the .exe and use that w/ a diff file name it loaded. Oddly a totally diff issue on the lady's system. The first time I ran the UI launcher was off a thumb drive to see if it would work and it did. But then when I copied that same folder to C it didn't work? Then I copied that same folder again to another partition on the machine, and from there it does launch. ??? Odd.
Now I tried to run a multiplayer game and she could join but it seems to poop out on Building World and doesn't go anywhere.

Update 2
Ok wow it did start it just took forever. Moves very slow. I assume that sooner or later that I will encounter some network errors as it seems that others have.
Wondering if just running an XP VM is a better way and may move faster and be stable and smooth to play multiplayer lan?
Please, turn off the CPU patch, if you wish to play multiplayer.

Greetings! I am glad that the development of the patch continues. The limit for the construction of cities managed to overcome?

Greetings! I am glad that the development of the patch continues. The limit for the construction of cities managed to overcome?
Hello, mayford!
As we discussed before it is very complicated. And I even do not plan to do this. Even giving TOTPP as an example of extending cities limit makes me doubt it's correct working. I saw people complaining about some weird effects with this cities-limit-patch.

Top Bottom