1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization III to Civilization IV? HELP!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Kurgan117, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Kurgan117

Kurgan117 Chieftain

Hello everyone! I am a Civ III Player and just got it, and Civ IV on my computer (again :mad:). I tried Civ 4 a while ago and couldn't do it because of the differences between the two. Any suggestions? I am going to start the game soon just so you all know. And how can I instantly see responses?

2. Virupaksha

Virupaksha Chieftain

I might get slaughtered by a few people for saying this but they're not too different. You need to build a lot of cottages in Civ4 so read up on them in the civopedia. Otherwise if you can play civ3 it's just trial and error. Noble or maybe the one below is a good difficulty to start and maybe pick a creative civ so you dont have to worry about culture to begin with.

Have fun.

3. Kurgan117

Kurgan117 Chieftain

:eek:They changed the way the stats, squares, civilians, and etc.. And they are not that DIFFERENT. If you say so. I will start it once I finish my current game.

4. Virupaksha

Virupaksha Chieftain

For sure they are different games (and for me civ4 is much better) but when I started on civ4 the fact that I was familiar with civ3 was a big shortcut. In both you explore, expand, research techs etc, the basic strategy is the same, though of course the devil's in the detail. Religion is new but most good players dont focus too much on that, building a good economy is more important, hence singling out cottages.

If you post a starting save in the strategy & tips section many players will help you but possibly best to play a bit first to familiarise yourself and avoid beibg overwhelmed with information.

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

They are quite a bit different IMO.

Most important difference early is, you do not/cannot pump out settlers/workers/archers at the beginning of the game. Civ III-style rapid early expansion (rex) will cause your tech rate to tank completely.

In III, buildings cost maintenance - in IV, cities do. So you generally want fewer cities. However you also don't want to build all the buildilngs, because only some will give you benefits worth the :hammers: cost.

There are guides to the basics of IV in the War Academy, there is even (IIRC) a guide which compares IV to III.

6. Shawnees

Shawnees Chieftain

The transition from Civ III to Civ IV was much easier than Civ IV to Civ V. III and IV have the same core gameplay mechanics and you should have no problem picking it up after a few games.

Civ V is just another animal which I do not like.

The Civ IV war academy on this website has a plethora of amazing information to get you started. Once you get the basics you can get detailed strategies there as well.

7. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Just One More Turn

This.

You do still want to expand, but you must curb your Civ III instincts for growing too fast. The tech tree is a bit more complex, and includes some logical "OR" paths as well as logical "AND" paths. The Great Library works differently; so do the Pyramids, and nearly all the great wonders.

If you've got Civ 4 Complete, or the Beyond the Sword expansion, then you will also find that Espionage adds an interesting level of play that Civ III did not have. Spy units are back (they existed in Civ II, but not III). I recommend turning off Random Events in the Custom Game setup menu; if you want to turn off Espionage, too, for your first couple games, that would not be so terrible.

Combat: The function of siege weapons (catapults, trebs, cannons) is very different from III to IV. You will want to build a whole lot of "suicide catapults" to use for softening up the cities before attacking them. It's impossible to abuse Open Borders / Right of Passage in Civ IV the way that some people (and the AI) did in Civ III.

My opinion: Civ III has been one of my long-time favorite games, and Civ IV has nearly everything I liked about Civ III, but amplified.

8. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

Disagree with turning off random events and especially espionage.

9. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I always leave them on, though I know they can un-balance the game they don't usually and I find they add 'flavor' that makes the game more fun and roleplay-ey. I leave the UN on for the same reason even though I almost never go for a diplo victory.

Espionage does however break the game.

Another difference between III and IV combat-wise, is that air units do a max of 50% damage and can no longer kill units through bombardment (though Guided Missiles and nukes can).

EDIT: Oh and the airship only does a max of 20% damage I believe.

10. Imp. Knoedel

You mean turning it off breaks the game?

11. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Indeedly-doodly as Flanders might say ;)

12. Kurgan117

Kurgan117 Chieftain

I have Complete, WarLord, Beyond the Sword and Colonization. What are the differences and which should I start with?

13. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Colonization is a completely different game. BTS is the one you should play, Complete is just Vanilla + Warlords and BTS.

Everything I've said applies to BTS, I've played BTS so long I can't even remember what was added in BTS and what's only in vanilla.

Anyway, point being, play BTS.

14. Kurgan117

Kurgan117 Chieftain

What setting should I use? And I have 4 shortcuts. One says Complete. Are you still sure that I should use BTS?

15. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

That I can't answer, I play with large maps, extra AIs, aggressive AI and unrestricted leaders but most players here don't do that. But you're the only one who can decide what settings you like.

16. Imp. Knoedel

What are the shortcuts exactly? If they are Complete, Warlords, Colonization and Beyond the Sword then I would go with Beyond the Sword.

Custom Game on Fractal or Hemispheres map is what I would do.

17. Kurgan117

Kurgan117 Chieftain

True I am the only one who can decide what I like, but that is hard to do without playing it.

18. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I think a good way to get familiarised with the game is to play 'normal' settings. That means normal sized map, standard speed, and default number of AIs. I quite like Pangaea maps :)D). That means you have all AIs on one continent. Fractal is more random, and you sometimes end up isolated or semi isolated (which can be tough). Hemispheres and Continents puts a group of civs on different continents, so you would usually need Optics (caravels, that can travel across ocean tiles) to meet the other AIs, and then Astronomy to trade with them (overseas trade), but of course you can trade techs with them when you meet them after Optics.

Go with random opponents, but you can choose a strong one yourself if you don't want to go random there. Willem is an easy one to start with I think, at least that's what I did early on. He is Creative, meaning faster border pops, and Financial, so you have a better economy without needing to think too much about it.

The usual way to start is to build a worker first, and then research needed food technologies, such as Agriculture, Animal Husbandry or Fishing, depending on what you have in your capital. After the initial worker, build warriors until size 3 or 4, and then get out a few settlers. A good target is to get 3 cities by turn 50 on normal speed (2000BC). Use the starting scout/warrior to check out potential future city sites, and use the warriors to protect them from barbs, and then send the settler towards there, making sure all tiles between your capital and the new city site is fogbusted, so barbs can pop up there. It sounds more tricky than it is :)

I would also recommend to play without Huts or Events, but of course you do what you wish here. It's easier to learn the base mechanics without these distractions.

19. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

There are three CIV versions (ignoring update patches, which don't change the "basic" game for each version) plus Colonization which is a different game having some things in common with CIV. The three versions are the original game (commonly called "vanilla" around here or Civilization IV or original), Warlords, and Beyond the Sword (BTS). Warlords is original plus many new features and a few game changes. BTS is Warlords with more new features and more game changes. Many people feel that BTS is the game that should have been originally released as CIV.

Complete usually refers to the package of the four games, rather than to any individual one. I suspect that your "Complete" shortcut points to the exe file for the original or "vanilla" game. You can check that by right clicking on the shortcut and choosing the option to show the file that it launches. I think it will turn out to be the exe for Civilization IV. If so, you can rename the shortcut to a name that will be clear and avoid future confusion, or just remember that "Complete" really is only launching the original game.

The above assumes that you are referring to shortcuts to launch the game from your hard drive. If you are talking about shorcuts that are on the disc, then they are to install things, in which case Complete would install them all and be the one to choose. After doing that, all of the above applies.

Also, you want to be sure that BTS is version 3.19. If not, you will need to download the patch and update it. The 3.19 patch also does any updating, (automatically while updating BTS) of the other versions, if they are not the latest ones.

20. Kurgan117

Kurgan117 Chieftain

I have started my game and I can't figure out how to rush a production.:confused:
    If I have one of my units in a English city, do the mongols have to declare war on me to take the city?
    Is there a unit support limit?
    Vassal state?