1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization III to Civilization IV? HELP!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Kurgan117, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

In order to rush with population you need to be running the Slavery civic, to rush with gold Universal Suffrage.

No, your unit will simply sit there and drink tea while bullets fly around his head. :crazyeye:

Yes, you can see it in the Financial Advisor screen. The more units you have relative to population the more money you pay. The Vassalage civic decreases it while Pacifism increases it.

2. Kurgan117

Kurgan117 Chieftain

But what button?

3. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

This is in the city screen. You get there by double clicking on top of one of your cities. The left most button is for whipping population points. You need slavery to do that. The red circled button (inactive here, because I lack the civic for it) is where you buy production. You need Universal Suffrage to do that.

4. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Don't ignore the Draft button. ;)

5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

True, this is an important button too.

Comes in very handy if you happen to struggle with a paper at school / uni.

:D

6. Kurgan117

Kurgan117 Chieftain

Can vassals trade with other nations besides me?
    Should I give my vassal tons of techs?
    What the reasons for not being able to declare war.

7. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

Yes, vassals can trade with civs other than their master.

If you give your vassal all your techs, they might trade them away.

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

You can demand that they stop trading with people though, how does that work exactly?

9. Kurgan117

Kurgan117 Chieftain

For conquest victory, do I have to kill my vassal? OK Thanks.

10. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

No, if you have already got a vassal, then it counts as "one guy down". It's how people often win conquest wins actually. Cap one AI, move on to the next, cap that one, etc.

11. Kurgan117

Kurgan117 Chieftain

I can't declare war on ghengis khan. Does it have something to do with Apostolistic Palce, "Make peace with roosevelt"?
    NVM. Took all but two of his cities with :strength::strength:, whipping him :whipped: and now he is a vassal:)assimilate:).

:lol::goodjob::clap::woohoo::rockon::sniper:[party]:dance::band::high5::trophy3rd: :strength:

Alright, alright, I'll stop.

12. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

You cannot declare war on your own vassal. If you really wanted to break the bond, you can demand resources from your vassal as tribute. If they refuse, you are now at war with your former vassal.

You cannot directly declare war on someone else's vassal. If you declare on the master, you automatically declare on the vassal(s).

13. Kurgan117

Kurgan117 Chieftain

He was his own nation when I asked the question. Now I destroyed the native Americans and won domination victory. I played a 47 minute Civ III game and won that one to. I will start a new Civ 4 game next weekend.

14. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

A successful AP "make peace with Roosevelt" resolution would give all AP members a 10-turn peace treaty with Roosevelt. That shouldn't have an effect on Ghengis (except for a peace treaty between him and Roosevelt.)

Unless you're playing as Roosevelt.

15. Kurgan117

Kurgan117 Chieftain

I probably should have said that I was Roosevelt. It took more than ten turns though.

16. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

From my understanding, it works differently from when an AI asks you to stop trading with an AI and you agree to do so. If you agree to do so, the AI that you stopped trading with might not re-open diplomacy with you for a long time.

If an AI agrees to do so, current deals (Open Borders and Resource Trades) that weren't made in the last 10 turns will get cancelled (I'm not sure about deals that were made in the last 10 turns), but that AI can still perform diplomatic actions (including tech trading) with that other AI, as far as I am aware.

So, if my understanding is correct, the answer is that it doesn't do what you probably care about the most, which would be to stop AI-AI tech trading. What it can do, though, is remove the Open Borders +2 Diplo attitude bonus between those two AIs, which may be enough of a change for you to bribe one of those two AIs to attack the other one. AIs at war with each other won't trade techs with each other (well, until they make Peace with one another and one of them invariably gets the tech that you didn't want it to get as part of the Peace Treaty). After the war, though, and without the Open Borders bonus, one AI may hate the other AI sufficiently not to want to trade techs with the other AI, depending upon the personality of the AI.

Basically, I rarely use the Stop Trading with AI request, as using it causes the target AI to hate you a bit more, but when I do use it, it's usually to change an AI-AI lovefest situation into an AI-AI hatefest. Of course, some AIs value trading very highly and thus would rather go to war than stop trading, so again, the personality of an AI comes into play as to whether you can even make the request to stop trading with another AI in the first place.

17. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

Your vassal can trade with other nations, so what you can do is to ask your vassals ALL his resources. If he does not have resources he can't sell them! He can buy them off course. If you are stronger than your vassal, this should be ok but if you ask key resources he might refuse giving it to you (which means war between you).

Giving Techs to your vassal is not a very good idea... unless he is really weak and behind in techs. Your vassal can later break the link you (under certain circumstances) so it does not mean that he will be an ally forever.

The annoying thing about Vassals is that you can not stop him being a vassal but he can break this link with you (under certain conditions).

Ideas of settings for the first game:
    - I guess that it might be a good idea to start WITHOUT spying (in your 1st game) to understand the other parts of the games
    - It might be a good idea to turn off vassalage for simplicity sake

Some comments regarding the differences to Civ III (that I remember):
    - There is a very key new item - cottages. Build lots of them
    - No need to lower the research % when almost getting a new tech
    - Bombers do not kill units (very silly option in Civ III)
    - Units attacked only get strength bonus (if promoted) the following turn
    - There are units that can have colateral damage in Civ IV (don't remember exactly how it worked in Civ III)
    - Invisible units can not be attacked but they can attack

And that is all that I can remember of top of my mind.

18. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Ah, okay, thanks for this clarification.

I guess my current strategy of not giving away key military techs to vassals unless potential enemies have them is the best one then.

19. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

In my years of playing Civ4 that has happened exactly once with an AI vassal, and that was in a mod, so really I wouldn't worry about it. Just treat your vassal as a friend and everything will be fine.

Definitely don't turn off espionage! It messes up everything because it makes the buildings that would normally provide espionage provide culture instead, leading to ridiculous culture everywhere.

This is the first time I hear about this, and honestly I don't believe you without proof.

20. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

Peace vassals are more likely to break free than capitulated ones. If your capitulated vassal reaches the criteria to break free, you're probably screwed by other means. BtS peace vassals seem to break free less often than Warlords ones do--I had a game of Warlords where I, as Victoria, had Ragnar offer to be my peace vassal (I accept)--10 turns later he breaks free (OK)--10 turns later he offers to be my peace vassal--etc. That never happens in BtS.

I've had AI capitulated vassals break free of their AI master and then immediately become a peace vassal of their former master. :crazyeye:

Agreed.