1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization III to Civilization IV? HELP!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Kurgan117, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Augh, they do this endlessly in my games. Like, literally, it happens constantly whenever the AIs vassal to each other in any capacity.

I've only had a vassal (peace or capitulated) break from me once, when I demanded all Mansa's resources for the lulz and he actually went to war.

I nuked him a bunch of times just to teach my other vassals to fear me :lol:

2. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

It's a good point. But when playing for the first time it might be a good thing to forget about spying and focus on learning the other aspects of the game.

:eek: Are you joking or being serious? Are you talking about Civ III or Civ IV?

Maybe I did not explain myself correctly. I'll try to elaborate:
    In CivIII when a unit got a promotion it would be immediate. This meant that a unit could get stronger after attacking (in the same turn). In Civ IV that does not happen. If you get a unit elligible for a promotion it could only be promoted (and have the related healing bonus associated with it) next turn and not in the same turn as the battle. I think that is reasonable and makes much more sense.

3. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

You still shouldn't turn it off. Unless they are literally next to Sitting Bull they won't have to particularly pay attention to it anyway.

Aaaaah I thought you meant promotions would only take effect the turn after they were assigned.

4. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

You can fool the system if you have a Great General available. If you attack, then use a Great General to give even one additional XP to the unit, then the XP you gained from combat can be used for promotion the same turn. Doesn't matter if the XP from the GG takes it over the threshold for the next promotion or if the unit passed it with the XP gained from combat. This can sometimes be useful when fighting large stacks. You can attack the enemy stack, use Great General to give 1XP each to 20 units, then promote and heal before the enemy has a chance to strike back.

5. Tatran

Tatran Deity

I haven't played civ3 since civ4 came out, but, from memory, when a unit got a promotion in civ3 it only got 1 more hitpoint. And when an elite unit (5 HPs) won a battle there was a chance getting a general to build an army or to rush something.
    Maybe in civ2 a unit got more strength after winning a battle. In SMAC promoted units got more strength/morale. Both games, civ2 + SMAC had the same lead designer (Brian Reynolds), so I guess the battle system was similar.

6. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

Ah, good idea! Never thought of it.

That is what I meant. I may have not used the correct terminology but that is what I meant. It was frustrating attcking a unit... losing... and still see your enemy unit to be stronger after the battle than before it!

7. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

Yeah, in civ2 regular soldier becomes veteran. Few days now I play both civs paralel.. Oh good old memories :D It was hard to accept the fact that in civ2 you don't refuse Gandhi demands.. it will lead to war right away :D

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I'd consider it a waste of a GG to spread its xp around to so many units though. Either settle it or make a Super Medic, or in some cases a Military Academy, I say.

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

There are probably some scenarios where it could be useful, to promotion heal a whole bunch or get another promotion on an attacking stack, but I never use that option. Have almost never made Military Academies either. Almost always go for a Medic (first guy, maybe one more) or a super attacker (or defender in AW games), or settle them in the HE city. Super attackers can be good fun, but they will die sooner or later, especially if you risk them against top defenders. Can be good can openers, but don't get too attached to them ;)

After the first medic, I prefer to settle them, with an intent on getting a few in the HE city. Lone guys in several cities can be good too, for 2 promotions with just a barracks (without needing Vassalage or Theocracy).

The one thing I usually ponder a bit is what to choose as the "extra" promotion on medics, if I have an extra one. Tend to go for extra movement, as I don't want to risk them in battle anyway (so +30% withdraw and double XP is useless).

In addition to easier get to the frontlines after healing units, it can be useful to pillage a tile, especially on a 3-movement horsie. Move out from stack, pillage, move back. Or to steal workers a bit far away, if you're feeling frisky and don't fear counters.

10. Kurgan117

Kurgan117 Chieftain

I have started my game as Saladin and I am losing money because I have to many cities!

11. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Yeah, they're rare for me too, by the time they're available they're not super-useful, but I do use them every now and again, in the rare case where I can get units in 1 turn instead of 2 for example.

I almost always take Morale as the extra promotion for Super Medics if available, there's really no downside and as you say the combat-related promotions are typically useless on them since you don't want them to fight anyway. They can quickly get around to wherever they're needed. But as I've been playing non-Chm leaders lately I find I'm only getting the XP for combat I then 3 medic anyway.

12. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Towards the end of the game it is usually much better to use Generals for giving out XP in the field than to settle them. Specifically to give XP for promotions and healing. If you settle a General, that city needs to produce 10 more units before you get the same amount of XP gain as when dealing out XP in the field. If you break out with cuirs on a standard sized pangaea, difficulties up to immortal, it is quite possible that once you start producing Great Generals you could settle (first one or two become super medics), no city will have time to produce 10 units before the game is over. Also, unless those 2XP take you over the limit for the next promotion, some units might never get to use it at all, if they die before reaching that limit. When you give out XP in the field, you can target it to only units that get immediate benefit, and this benefit includes faster healing to keep your army moving faster.

13. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Most will already know this, but if you have an unused promotion at the start of the turn, you can promote the unit after it attacks and wins, even if it passes the XP threshold for an additional level during that turn.

Example. Level 2 Swordsman with 9/5 xp at the start of the turn. You have 2 options for promoting it.

If you promote it to Level 3 at the start of the turn, it will then be attacking with 9/10 xp. Let’s say it earns 1 xp when it wins. It will then have 10/10 xp at the end of the turn, but can’t be promoted to Level 4 until the following turn.

On the other hand, if you don’t promote it at the start of the turn, if the Swordsman fights and wins it will have 10/5 xp at the end of the turn. At that point you can promote it once (so it will have 10/10 xp) or twice (giving it 10/17 xp), at your option.

Essentially it’s a tradeoff – if you need the promotion to win the combat, it’s better to promote before attacking, obviously. But if the unit is just mopping up badly damaged units, you can save the promotion until after the combat, to provide some free healing before the AI’s turn to counterattack.

I think the game logic is this: You can promote a unit with the necessary XP if it has movement points remaining, or it does not have movement points remaining, only if it had the necessary XP before its previous attack. (This means that units with Blitz can attack, earn xp, promote, and attack again, all in the same turn).

14. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I don't think I've ever gotten a general so late in the game though.

15. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

At what percentage is your research slider? You don't have to worry about money until you start losing money with the gold slider at 100%.

Currency and Code of Laws are the techs you want for a strong economy. Before that, Alphabet, Writing and Pottery.

Still, all of that is very generic advice, and I recommend you upload a savegame and/or a few screenshots so we can get a better picture of the situation.

16. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Just One More Turn

I've got a Civ3 and Civ4 game going now, and my Civ4 game has about one-half to one-third of the cities that my Civ3 game does. Slow down, and override your instinct to build cities fast and carpet the landscape.

Channel that enthusiasm into building the *right* buildings in the *right* cities, and build lots of catapults for softening up enemy stacks or cities.

17. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Epic and especially Mara speed games, it's fairly easy to do.