Civilization III: Worldwide

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by AnthonyBoscia, Nov 9, 2010.

1. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Hello folks

I've just started playing this pack, but have a problem with the "luxuries". I pick them up with a unit, get the unit to the capital... and nothing happens: the luxury is still attached to the unit. I didn't change anything in the scenarion. Any ideas?

2. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

jlvfr, I haven't had an issue before delivering luxuries, though I haven't played in quite a while. I looked at the biq and couldn't find anything different in the latest version that would raise any red flags.

Has anyone else played and had a problem with luxuries, or think of any possible culprits?

3. Sir Sam Vimes

Sir Sam Vimes Duke of Ankh

OH. MY. GOD. THIS. IS. AWESOME.:goodjob:

4. Etain

Etain Warlord

5. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Thanks, guys. From what you're saying, it looks like luxuries started not workng in the latest version, because they certainly worked before then. Etain, I know what you mean...sometimes the transporting is more tedious then fun and I build over an attribute for that reason. As for the AI, I don't think it fully grasps the concept of returning flags units without having objective squares. I'll be going over all the concepts and individual improvements when I rework the game, so if there's anything you like or don't like, post it so we know.

Sam, I was going to say thanks, but when I see your comment and signature together then the remark seems rather ambiguous. :)

6. Sir Sam Vimes

Sir Sam Vimes Duke of Ankh

Funnily enough, I changed my sig after posting that comment :D

I really love this pack, even though I've just bought Civ IV, I've spent hours playing C3C because of this:goodjob:

7. drshuai

drshuai Chieftain

I hope so. A real world map I think is more fun to conquer.

8. zoommooz

zoommooz Warlord

Just a couple of points/questions.

1. I'm really enjoying this mod, and I must say the volume of work that you have put into it is just excellent. I especially love how all of the civs have basically their own units.

2. For those people who are having problems with the luxury not working, just go into civ edit and make sure the 'auto place victory locations' is checked, and the luxuries will work as intended.

3. Those who want to play this scenario on a large world map can do so 'fairly' easily. I just combined the rules from this scenario with tekno-test of time 2.0 map. You will have to fiddle a little bit if you want correct starting locations, also, because of the resource differences, you will also need to re-generate resources, which will randomly place the resources around the map, but will however, include all the resources for this mod.

4. A question, why is oil, and offshore oil treated as a different type of resource, with some units needing one, or the other?. Also, how do you harvest a sea based strategic resources? (ie offshore oil)

Cheers

9. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Hey zoom, glad you're enjoying the game. Placing victory locations will solve the problem, as you noted, and make it work for the computer opponents. It does open up some other issues, but keep it if it works Ok for you. The game did work before without VPs, and I haven't found out yet what changed that.

Oil is a legitimate strategic resource that essentially works as it does in a normal game. Offshore petrol is a bonus resource for all practical purposes. Using it as a dummy resource for unbuildable units has a number of advantages over using other methods such as the king flag. It allows these special units to be seen in the tech tree, and avoids complications that come with king unit upgrades. It is not possible to connect offshore oil to your strategic resource box (now that the ghost resource bug has been fixed) without altering the biq before starting.

10. zoommooz

zoommooz Warlord

Thanks for the info, I didn't check to see that the units that need offshore platforms resource were all produced by buildings.

11. zoommooz

zoommooz Warlord

Not sure if my problem is due to civ or the mod, but I keep getting a crash when I hit next turn. I have been reading through other posts, but most people get some type of error message. I get a civ encounter unexpected problem and will now shut. It seem like a specific civs turn is the problem as each time I reload I get to see the action of a few civs before the crash. Any ideas what is might be, or is there logs somewhere that I can look at?

Thanks

Attached Files:

12. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Zoom, did you make any changes to unit stats or abilities in this era? A non-message shutdown like that is usually from a bad graphic or sound, missing default.flc, or something nasty like that. It's really difficult to pinpoint without being able to see the other positions.

The game itself looked good, though. World maps seem to be awfully popular.

13. zoommooz

zoommooz Warlord

Yes, I've made plenty of changes, all of them relating to costs. Because I like long games I increased all unit cost by 4X, and all buildings by 5X, and techs 6x, with my game lasting 3550 turns on the giga map. By altering these cost could I have accidentally changed something?, and if so, what would be an example of a change that I could search for? And yes, the game was very interesting!!!:)

14. ancares

ancares Chieftain

Hello,
    When I try to charge the mod appears the following message

Missing entry Text\Pediaicons text: ICON_BLDG_Radio

and the game close.

Are there any solution?

Thanks

15. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

3550 turns, Good LAWD that's outrageous, man. Since it is very difficult to tell from an existing game, do you want to post your modified biq? Maybe I can take a look and see if I spot anything that might cause a crash. Always a delicate procedure...finding crashes is always more difficult than making adjustments.

First, make sure it is not the old folder within a folder problem. In your Civ III Conquests scenario folder should be a Worldwide folder. Inside this folder should be an Art and Text folder. If there is a second Worldwide folder inside, this needs to be broght up to the next level. You can post screenshots here if necessary so we can see what you are looking at.

16. zoommooz

zoommooz Warlord

Thanks mate, but I've started a new game, and am at turn 2000ish, and past the point of the crash (in terms of units/wonders) and game is going fine:).

Also, Just a couple of observations in terms of balancing that I have made to my game. (with the knowledge that 3500 turns may skewer my observations)

1. I like what rise & rule does in term of maintainace. In my initial games, after getting over the initially start up hump, I seemed to have lots and lots of money. I love all your additional building, and the artifiact mechanism, but as a human, I can just choose much better the the ai. And, other then the artifact choice, its just build ever building asap. By having an increse in maintainace costs, my current game seems just right. (and a serious increase, ie so not ever city can 'afford' an airport).

2. I like what you have done with the artilery, (man those 105mm are causing havoc :)) but I think they are a bit overpowered generally, and thus should have an even lower defensive skill.

3. Too much happiness, that is too easy to get.

Now obliviously, this is your mod, and, I love it, so please take the above as observations only.

Cheers

17. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Thanks, zoom, great comments!

1. I haven't played Rise & Rule so I'm not sure what they do there. The first build of this game went the other way, where the computer was always broke because the maintenance costs were high and they must build every building. Now, like you said, money surpluses are available early. This also relates to the science cap limits in the Ancient - Medieval Eras. High maintenance costs also make AI act strangely, especially in regards to Attributes and improvements that spawn units.

I do think that the money has to be curbed in the early game a bit, but that will take some real playtesting. Maintenance costs is definitely one way. One thing I'm very interested in doing is making late game units and structures much more expensive. This will require a lot of work, as it can seriously affect the Ai's building priorities, especially for units. I think adjustments there will force the human player to start spending lots of money for his modern units, which is much more true to life. I was happy, for example, with the higher gold upkeep costs for Republics and Constitutional Monarchies that make it more expensive to keep a standing army.

2. Artillery is always a tough one. In my mind, it should be THE damage producing weapon for both humans and computers in the late Industrial Age. I'm firmly of the mind that even though we'll make every effort to give the human and computer even advantages, I won't remove something I like just because the programming doesn't work properly. The game exists for our fun, not the AI's. Artillery has always been a boon because the human will use it more intelligently.

Reducing the defense of artillery is a good idea. Or really, changing its function would be better from era to era. For example, the cannons should have a good defense, while artillery should be more vulnerable. I think one idea that could work great would be to give artillery units stealth attack only against other artillery. Stealth attack against all units would be too overpowered, but with this method, the AI could use its limited number of artillery units to actually bypass your defensive units and destroy your artillery stacks of doom in their territory. This kind of thing will take a bunch of testing. Love the artillery's ablity to destroy buildings as it attacks units in cities.

Did you have any specific stats in mind?

3. Yeah, the downside of having more buildings and unique wonders, especially in the late game. Pushing the marketplace benefit back to the industrial age makes the Medieval-Renaissance-Enlightenment era more challenging, though.

18. Scott7891

Scott7891 Chieftain

I was playing as the Arabs and the game crashed when I attempted to finish the Qur'an. Said that it did not match up with the pediaicon or something. Just something you should know about.

19. ancares

ancares Chieftain

Hello,
    Thank you for your advice. I install again the mod and now works well. The mod is excellent.Congratulations.

20. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Thanks, ancares.

Scott, it looks like you found an error. If you go into the Worldwide/Text folder, open the PediaIcons, and Search for:

#WON_SPLASH_BLDG_qu'ran

and replace it with:

#WON_SPLASH_BLDG_quaran

until I can make a new update for the main file. Then it should fowrk from your last autosave. Sorry for the trouble.