1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization III: Worldwide

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by AnthonyBoscia, Nov 9, 2010.

1. articus

articus Chieftain

According to me FiraxisGames should resume from the origins of civilization (I, II, III) from IV to VI is another game, I play civilization 3 since I was a child and I continue to play it ^^. It would be nice if there was a Civilization 3 online, we are in 2017 and now everything is possible.

2. Knarfjr

Knarfjr Chieftain

hi

i just downloaded the worldwide mod, and added the folder and file to my civ3 game. after doing that i started the game no problem, but when i opened the mod in game i'm getting a pediaicons error but cant seem to find whats wrong. if anyone could help that would be awesome.

Note: i attached the error and whats showing in the pediaIcon.txt file
    Note2: tried to upload the pics but getting a error so i'll post links https://ibb.co/nEt1RQ https://ibb.co/dz6zD5

3. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Sounds like you haven't got all the files you need, possibly because you've actually only downloaded+installed the v.2.9 patch, which both adds files to and also replaces various files that were already included in the full (v.2.7) mod-zip. I would suggest you read my post, from a couple of pages back.

4. Knarfjr

Knarfjr Chieftain

i just double checked it and it is the base worldwide mod. I have both, but i haven't added v2.9 to the game yet.

5. Glutius Max

Glutius Max Chieftain

Really good to see this is still an active thread. I just started an account so I could comment here. I started playing this mod a year ago and the only problem I have encountered is in the late game. After a certain time period I can't build many important buildings anymore like hospitals and temples. Almost all buildings that help growth and happiness are no longer an option in the modern era. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

6. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Chieftain

The temple goes obsolete with Theology. You should be able to build the other buildings with no problem. You can post your save file if you want and I can take a look.

7. Glutius Max

Glutius Max Chieftain

Yeah I mis spoke when I said temple but there where other growth and happiness buildings I couldn't build when I got to the modern era in past games. I deleted those saves a while back and haven't played since. I reinstalled the game recently and am playing a new game. I'll post it if it happens again when I get that far along.

Also, I like playing large maps mostly. Is there a way to eliminate the "too many cities" message when trying to build cities or is this limit hardwired into the game?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  8. chickenx4

chickenx4 Chieftain

You did some great work on that

9. tjs282

It's hardwired, but if you can find the thread, some years back CFC-user Antal1987(?) actually managed to hack/patch the Firaxis Civ3conquests.exe to sidestep the limit on city-numbers, so playing using that hacked .exe should fix this problem for you (both for Worldwide, and also in the epic game).

However, IIRC, this hack only applies to the human player: when the original limit is reached, the AI-Civs will still stop founding new cities (and start razing 'excess' captured towns, unless you use the Antal.exe version that also includes the 'NoRaze' hack, which prevents the AI -- but not the human -- from razing).

Antal also managed to fix some other things as well, including getting the Science Age to work as intended (I can't remember if that's applicable to WorldWide, but I think it is).
    Spoiler :
    One of the Antal.exe files -- version 4, IIRC -- which includes both the Science Age fix and the 'no city limits' hack, will be included in the newest version of Civinator's 'CCM' mod, CCM2.0, currently in beta-testing.

10. Glutius Max

Glutius Max Chieftain

Thanks for the info. I looked around for that .exe hack but can't find anything yet. I'll keep looking around for it.

11. tjs282

12. Glutius Max

Glutius Max Chieftain

13. Glutius Max

Glutius Max Chieftain

It seems to have something missing. It's a smaller size from the original .exe file and now all the labels are wrong when I hover over with the mouse but other than that it seems to be working.

14. tjs282

It's likely smaller because (IIRC) it's a NoCD version, so doesn't contain the copy-protection stuff (that no longer works since Micro$oft disabled secdrv.sys).

If the labels are (now) wrong, that suggests an emerged problem/conflict with your (Conquests) labels.txt file -- are you using the Steam version of Civ3? If so, you may (now) need to fix that textfile (if it's not in the ...Civilization3\Conquests\ folder, then check in the ...Civilization3\Conquests\Text\ folder):
    1. Make a backup copy of the labels.txt file: rename the copy as e.g. 'labels BACKUP.txt'
    2. Open the labels.txt file in any text editor (MS Notepad works just fine)
    3. Search for the 'Ping' and 'Host' lines: Are they separated by the line 'Unknown'?
      • If no, then you'll need to add that line
      • If yes, then try deleting it
    4. Save the edited file, and close the text-editor
    Now re-load Civ3, and check whether that fixed the labelling problem. If it didn't, then you can delete your edited 'labels.txt' file, rename the backup back to 'labels.txt', and then scream for help -- hopefully from someone more competent than me ;) -- on the "Civ3: Technical support" forum...

15. Glutius Max

Glutius Max Chieftain

Yes I have the steam version. All I have in my files is the labels.txt file with unknown between ping and host added. When I remove it the load screen works correctly now with the proper buttons labeled but in the game when I right click on cities the labels for the actions are all different and incorrect whether I change the txt file or not. Maybe it's not compatible with this mod or something.

16. Nathiri

Nathiri Commander

Just so you know, when you use a hacked exe like no city limit etc, it changes it back to the old format of labels.txt from the disc. I guess with the steam mp update they had edit the exe to allow for the extra label in the middle of the text file and so it shows up differently for an older exe. So the disc labels.txt would show up fine when launching from the hacked exe. When I initially used Antal's patched exe right after the steam mp update, it wouldnt work, but then some time later when they released the 2nd update to fix some bugs I guess and remove the steam overlay again, it worked.

17. Glutius Max

Glutius Max Chieftain

The lebels.txt seems to only effect the load screen interface for me. When I remove the "unknown" from the labels.txt the hacked .exe load screen works normally and when I add "unknown" the original conquests .exe load screen works normally. However once in the game when I right click on a city to perform actions all the labels are wrong when using the hacked .exe.

Attached Files:

18. Nathiri

Nathiri Commander

That is a screenshot from a save file? Have you tried a new game?

19. Glutius Max

Glutius Max Chieftain

Yes it's a screenshot from a saved game but I tried both just to make sure that was the problem and it also happens when I start a new game from the worldwide .biq. It works just like the old game when I start a new game without using this mod but that's not what I was trying to do.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  20. Glutius Max

Glutius Max Chieftain

Doh!...I found the problem. Easy fix...nevermind :o